Test Your POOL KNOWLEDGE … Take New Pool QUIZZES

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that announces a new set of pool quizzes and exams that test how well you know the game's terminology, pool physics principles, and rules. Also included are playing-ability exams that test and rate how well you play. Check it out:

Contents (with timestamp links):
0:00 – Intro
0:24 - Pool Terminology Quiz
0:58 - Pool Physics Quiz
2:06 - Pool Rules Quiz
3:04 - BU Playing Ability Exams
4:56 - Other BU Playing Ability Exams
5:52 - Wrap Up

Here's Pool Quiz resource page that has links to everything.

Good luck, and let us know how you do. And as always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
1627997587182.png

Throw, squirt, I've been a bad bad boy. Also got careless with one and clicked the wrong thing, was confused as to why it was wrong! 🤣

Fun quiz.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good info. I got a 96% on the pool terminology quiz. Failed to pay attention to the designation of "pro" regulation table size, so I answered 8ft, which has always been considered "regulation" size.

I also missed the new pro 9ball break rule of having 3 balls either be pocketed or reach the kitchen. That's not really a terminology thing....it's a pro rule thing. The wording is a bit tricky, saying that 3 balls either have to be pocketed or pass the headstring. But there are other options, like pocketing 1 ball and having 2 go above the headstring, etc... Is this an exclusive pro rule?? I mean, BCA and APA still just designate that 4 balls have to hit a rail.

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Missed a few by going too fast, but had some issues with a couple of others....
  • 8 ball must have a stripe on one corner and a solid on the other...there are many rules, and this is not included in all of them.
  • Q-"When is a miscue a foul?" A-"Only if it is intentional..."? The word "only" is what makes this incorrect. How about miscue unintentionally and not hit anything?
  • Inside spin vs reverse spin? In many cases these are synonymous (not all, but I believe in the question that involved these 2 they are, but are both available answers)
Haven't tried the physics based one yet.

Thanks, Dave!

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Missed 4 on the physics quiz, scored 92%. Many of the questions were also in the terminlogy quiz.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I only got 76% on the physics quiz. It's a good thing I don't have to know physics to make the balls do things. Always good to know why they do things though, might have to brush up on some stuff.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I only got 76% on the physics quiz. It's a good thing I don't have to know physics to make the balls do things. Always good to know why they do things though, might have to brush up on some stuff.

Exactly... knowing what happens is all that matters.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll take it later. It might be the only test in life I get 100% on. Hell I never got half right in my life…..

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good info. I got a 96% on the pool terminology quiz. Failed to pay attention to the designation of "pro" regulation table size, so I answered 8ft, which has always been considered "regulation" size.

The "standard" or "regulation" size table used in most tournaments worldwide is 9'. Where did you see 8' as defined as "regulation" size?

I also missed the new pro 9ball break rule of having 3 balls either be pocketed or reach the kitchen. That's not really a terminology thing....it's a pro rule thing. The wording is a bit tricky, saying that 3 balls either have to be pocketed or pass the headstring. But there are other options, like pocketing 1 ball and having 2 go above the headstring, etc... Is this an exclusive pro rule?? I mean, BCA and APA still just designate that 4 balls have to hit a rail.

The 3-point-break-rule is in the WPA official rules of pool as an option. See Rule 2.3 in the WPA 9-ball rules:
"If no ball is pocketed, three balls must cross the head string, or the break is considered ‘dry break’. (See Regulation 18, Three Point Break Rule.)"

and Regulation 18 in the WPA Regulations:
"On the break shot, a minimum of three object balls must either be pocketed, or touch the head string line, or a combination of both."

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Missed a few by going too fast,

I actually missed one the first time I took the quiz also (by also going too fast), and I wrote all the questions! :(

but had some issues with a couple of others....
  • 8 ball must have a stripe on one corner and a solid on the other...there are many rules, and this is not included in all of them.

The quizzes assume the WPA "official rules of pool." I just added a statement to this effect on the quiz/exam resource page.

• Q-"When is a miscue a foul?" A-"Only if it is intentional..."? The word "only" is what makes this incorrect. How about miscue unintentionally and not hit anything?

Good point. I just improved the wording in the answers to eliminate the possible confusion.

• Inside spin vs reverse spin? In many cases these are synonymous (not all, but I believe in the question that involved these 2 they are, but are both available answers)

I disagree. Both "inside" and "outside can be either "running" or "reverse." For more info and examples, see the sidespin terminology resource page. Although, I agree that people sometimes use the terms inappropriately.

Haven't tried the physics based one yet.

Give it a go and please let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement on that one also.

Thanks, Dave!

You're welcome, and thank you for the feedback/corrections/suggestions. I appreciate it.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Missed 4 on the physics quiz, scored 92%.

Good score. Did you miss any because of confusing wording. If so, please let me know so I can make improvements.

Many of the questions were also in the terminology quiz.

Do you or others see this as a problem? I did that on purpose if the questions included both "terminology" and "physics" elements. I also was assuming that not everybody would take both quizzes. And if they did, a few "gimmies" here and there aren't a bad thing (especially if somebody answered incorrectly on the first quiz and then got it right on the 2nd quiz). What do you guys think? Should I replace all duplicate questions?

Thanks for the input.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I only got 76% on the physics quiz.

It sounds like somebody might need to do a little studying. 🤓

It's a good thing I don't have to know physics to make the balls do things.

You don't need to know the physics terminology, but you do need to understand the effects (even if only intuitively), assuming you want to be the effective with the types of shots in question.

Always good to know why they do things though, might have to brush up on some stuff.

Lots of good resources are linked on the pool physics resource page. Also, I plan to do a follow-up video (or series of videos) where I show answers to all the pool physics quiz questions with shots at the table.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ll take it later. It might be the only test in life I get 100% on. Hell I never got half right in my life…..

Let us know how you do on all three quizzes after you get a chance to take them.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let us know how you do on all three quizzes after you get a chance to take them
I will on each of them. I’ll do it tmr. It’s 730pm here-I’m in Monaco and off to dinner right now.

I’m looking forward to seeing how I do. Will be interesting.

Thanks for creating them! You have always done so much for pool and I have always appreciated that. It’s been a huge part of my life since I can remember seeing barbox’s when I was a little kid in the early 70’s.

results tmr!

I failed in school, so I’m expecting good results here. A true sign of a misspent youth!💪💪

best,
Fatboy

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
The "standard" or "regulation" size table used in most tournaments worldwide is 9'. Where did you see 8' as defined as "regulation" size?

Honestly, I guess any table that has a 2×1 playing surface is considered "regulation" size. The most common home table for years was an 8ft, so that's stuck in my head, though most pro tournaments are played on 9ft tables. I had a 9ft for 23 years. Now I have an 8ft. In many areas where the only tables for miles were barboxes, the term "regulation" always implied to at least an 8ft table. But

I suppose there really isn't a specific "regulation" size table. As long as the dimensions are 2x1 the table is within regulation. "Standard" size for pro tournaments should not be considered the only "regulation" size table.

The 3-point-break-rule is in the WPA official rules of pool as an option. See Rule 2.3 in the WPA 9-ball rules:
.......Regulation 18 in the WPA Regulations:

"On the break shot, a minimum of three object balls must either be pocketed, or touch the head string line, or a combination of both."
I think you should amend your 9ball breaking rule test question to include what's in bold above. Without it, it reads funny, too ambiguous.