The 360 Double full splice ''just completed''

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
This is outstanding. Must have taken a lot of care in making it just right..

ZiggyLee

I Love This Game!!!!
Silver Member
Darrin nice cue buddy, good combination on the colors. I love the dark wood cues. Nice work.:thumbup: GLWS

Chris:wink:

Simple

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing work.
You are a truly one of the greatest fullsplice makers, Mr. Hill.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Wow

Nice cue but what happened to the return points. Aren't they supposed to be sharp. Rambow would have thrown this baby in the woodstove!

Wedge

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Nice cue but what happened to the return points. Aren't they supposed to be sharp. Rambow would have thrown this baby in the woodstove!

Wedge

Hi,

As a cue maker and good friend of Darrin's I must make a point here.

Darrin does not build his FS cues in the conventional way. If you see one of his multiple veneer FS cues and check out the bottom of his joinery in the return, the veneers are perfectly aligned and look surreal. He sands the bottom angle on the glued stack by hand with the touch if a surgeon to get that look.

The geometry of this cue is right on concerning the point height evenness of the butterflies and the sharp points up and down the x axis of the cue. As any cue maker who understands how to adjust points by moving centers on a cue requires a lot of attention and work to get it right and concentric at final size. Darrin had so many points on this cue and he had to keep his concentricity perfect during the joining and construction of this cue. This is a real work of art.

I have seen other 360 cues and they don't come close to Darrin's level of symmetry concerning the geometry.

If this is not "Cue of the Year", I for one will be very disappointed.

JMO,

Rick

Last edited:

ddadams

Silver Member
You know, I keep coming to the gallery and always click on this again and again.

I really really love this cue. Even though I'm entering a cue myself, I may have to vote for yours.

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
Hi,

Darrin does not build his FS cues in the conventional way. If you see one of his multiple veneer FS cues and check out the bottom of his joinery in the return, the veneers are perfectly aligned and look surreal. He sands the bottom angle on the glued stack by hand with the touch if a surgeon to get that look.

The geometry of this cue is right on concerning the point height evenness of the butterflies and the sharp points up and down the x axis of the cue. As any cue maker who understands how to adjust points by moving centers on a cue requires a lot of attention and work to get it right and concentric at final size. Darrin had so many points on this cue and he had to keep his concentricity perfect during the joining and construction of this cue. This is a real work of art.

I have seen other 360 cues and they don't come close to Darrin's level of symmetry concerning the geometry.

JMO,

Rick
stupid answer,
i love Darrin s work too but this one is perfect in every way from Jerry -R-

20130829_175440545348082.jpg

Ralf

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
stupid answer,
i love Darrin s work too but this one is perfect in every way from Jerry -R-

20130829_175440545348082.jpg

Ralf

Ralf,

I said I have seen other 360s that were way off on the geometry.

I did not say all 360s.

Jerry Rs cues are not just other cues. His are off the wall, as I would agree.:thumbup:

Rick

Last edited:

Simple

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great explanation, sir. Most people don't understand, what the challenge really is on all of those multipoint cues. This is one of the reasons why Komarov aka DBK doesn't build blanks.

ddadams

Silver Member
Great explanation, sir. Most people don't understand, what the challenge really is on all of those multipoint cues. This is one of the reasons why Komarov aka DBK doesn't build blanks.

Does he just not build them to sell or does he not build his own blanks? I always thought he built his own

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Wasn't Questioning the Symmetry

Hi,

JMO,

Rick

Nice cue for a first attempt! Perhaps the next one will have sharp return points rather than square sanded ones! Other than that the cue is very nice!

Wedge

Simple

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps the next one will have sharp return points rather than square sanded ones!
You're not fair. According to your signature, I suppose you have -R- in mind to have sharp return points, but I'm sorry, they aren't.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
You're not fair. According to your signature, I suppose you have -R- in mind to have sharp return points, but I'm sorry, they aren't.

Simple,

He misses the point.

Darrin's joinery does not involve joining two squares that interlock like Burton Spain or Rambow's construction method. That method produces the return points he sees visually when looking at a cue. These points on most FS cue have a geometry that puts those return points back over 12 inches from the joint to be covered by a wrap because they seldom look perfect.

Darrin tapers a forearm and cuts v groves in it and then makes it join to a square that has been cut to interlock with the crotches of the return area squared off to accomadate the return of the colored veneers. To get those veneers to be completely symmetrical where the converge he has to hand sand the back of the veneer stack on a sander.

The results of this hand sanding properly produces his veneers that are even and look incredible in that return area as they are even a squared on the bottom not distorted or wiggly. He had done veneer stacks on full splices that are over 10 sheets. When you seen the return area in person the look is amazing. Taking the taper forearm joined to the saw cut square with over 10 stacked veneers is not something that anyone else does that I know of.

BTW, Darrin's return area or crotch is located above 12 inch wrap area geometry. The amount of work that goes into that joint should not be hidden under a wrap. He shows it off as well he should.

I have spent hundreds of hours in my good friend's shop and have been there during the revisions of his FS production jigs that evolved over 7 years to we're it is today.

When that guy said Rambow would have thrown that cue in the wood stove I thought he was just being a troll. I have since figured out he just did not know what he was looking at.

Rick

Last edited: