The 5th Best One Pocket player in the world...

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Top 4

If I were to put them in order it would be tough and not very accurate because at their level its tough to say. Other than Alex being No. 1 I'm gonna keep that to myself.

This is my interpretation of their games at their current speed. MIH doesn't effect my opinion of Tony, Scott (because he wasn't there), Alex or Efren.

I'd also like to add that a handful of pros and shortstops have these guys on their list as well.

Alex---> The most well rounded one pocket alive. Moves the best (except for Efren maybe), can run out the most and from anywhere. If I had to pick one player to beat the One Pocket ghost in a headset, it would be Alex. High gear definitely tied with or over (current) Efren. Top tier shot making. Plays very simple when he can. Alex executes simple shots with near perfect precision. He can lock anyone up from almost anywhere.

Efren---> The most creativity, moves with the best but a little differently/more complicated (no one sees what he sees) Has a gear that...well is Efren. Efren will beat you to the first shot 9/10 if he is playing his top game. Doesn't have the shot making ability that he used to but its on par with the course. The most difficult player to trap by far. Kicks the best.

Tony--->BY FAR the most aggressive/offensive of the 4. He isn't Danny Smith aggressive, but he is aggressive. He moves well and aggressively, kind of like Scott, but throws a little more caution to the wind. If put in a situation where he has the option to shoot, he will probably shoot and make it. I'd put his shot making ability at the top with Alex, especially with difficult and advanced shots. Tony shoots the rail first kick the ball from your opponents pocket to your pocket better than anyone on the planet, (can't count how many times he made it on Richie and Josh) . Runs the balls with the other 3 no problem, Top gear (gambling) slightly under or tied with Alex. Tony will shoot and make the shots you aren't supposed to shoot sometimes. "If you don't miss, you can't sellout"

Scott--->Scott is always trying to accomplish multiple things at once. He can run balls as well or better than the other 3 at times. He is almost as creative as Efren. His can be aggressive, but not as aggressive as Tony. He knows the game as well as Efren and Alex. Scott doesn't quite have the shot making ability that the other 3 do, but has a dynamic game that makes him tough to fade.

One thing I will rank these guys on is the end game. With one ball left on the table I like in order:

Efren
Alex
Scott
Tony

As Scott once commented on Efren playing Gentiles "What are you gonna do, play safe with Efren all day?"

Enough about these 4 guys. Who is number 5? Who is the 5th best one pocket player in the world right now?

I personally like Dennis, he doesn't move great but doesn't move bad either. He also shoots so straight that it hurts.

I know Shane will make a few peoples lists as well. He'd really have to play Dennis a one pocket set. That'd be something.

I like Danny Smith's game too. Its pretty similar to Tony's except Danny Banks a little better but doesn't move as well.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I'd have to say Shane is in the top 5 but not necessarily 5th, possibly ahead of a few of the others
Jason

Last edited:

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
I'd have to say Shane is in the top 5 but not necessarily 5th, possibly ahead of a few of the others
Jason

His gambling record and even tournament record has proven otherwise.

I don't know if he has messed with Scott or Efren, but all 4 definitely out move him by a fair amount, which matters the most in one pocket at this level. He has done well in One Pocket events but not like Efren and Alex have. He doesn't play the big money One Pocket events which really test players as much as long tournaments do, if not more so.

Danny Smith beat him last MIH and got second.
Dennis beat him in the US Open One Pocket in 2014.
Alex has beaten him gambling
Tony has beaten him gambling

Here is the easiest way I can figure it.

Alex and Efren are the only 2 players in the world that could be considered true One Pocket players and have world Championships in rotation. Maybe Darren but he also got beat by Danny Smith.

Tony and Scott are both One Pocket players first and foremost. They don't play rotation the way rotation players do.

Shane is a rotation player and he does not play One Pocket the way One Pocket players do.

Dennis and Bustamante have or can play rotation at the same speed as Shane but also understand the nuances of One Pocket better, Efren taught Dennis and has been teaching Bustamante.

I'd problem bet on a few guys playing Shane TBH.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
WEll...

Only two people have ever won DCC one pockets back to back...

Shane is one of them...

Jaden

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Only two people have ever won DCC one pockets back to back...

Shane is one of them...

Jaden

Forgot about that. My opinion still stand though. Tournaments and Cheddar are two different things when it comes to pool, especially one pocket.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane, Appleton, Orcollo, and maybe Bergman can beat any of those guys in any given tournament match.

If they decided to specialize, you could send at least 3 of your top 4 packing.

eddie8842

getcha some of that
Silver Member
For Efren to have won three in a row....he had to have won it back to back.

lol, maybe he forgot Alex just won it back to back
but yeah, hard to forget Efren has also won it 6 times on top of the 3peat

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Shane, Appleton, Orcollo, and maybe Bergman can beat any of those guys in any given tournament match.

If they decided to specialize, you could send at least 3 of your top 4 packing.

I'll take Dennis as 5th who still doesn't want to play Tony even. Tony wrecked Shane for 5k a few months ago.

You are entitled to your opinion but I disagree. Efren and Alex aren't going anywhere, and neither is Tony, Scott hasn't been Scott lately though.

Robb Saez and I talked about it the other day and he said the exact same thing.

eddie8842

getcha some of that
Silver Member
Forgot about that. My opinion still stand though. Tournaments and Cheddar are two different things when it comes to pool, especially one pocket.

you should've probably named the thread 5th best one pocket gambler
cuz in tourneys, Tony might not even be top 20, he just won a significant one, but unless he wins alot more or a Derby City 1-Pocket title or US Open 1-Pocket title
it's easy to argue that there's alot of better 1-Pocket tournament players out there

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
you should've probably named the thread 5th best one pocket gambler
cuz in tourneys, Tony might not even be top 20, he just won a significant one, but unless he wins alot more or a Derby City 1-Pocket title or US Open 1-Pocket title
it's easy to argue that there's alot of better 1-Pocket tournament players out there

In the one pocket crowd in Houston, gambling is always the testament. One Pocket races to 3 and 4 don't determine the better player. Guys who do well in tournaments in general can do well in One Pocket tournaments.

Name The Top 20 One Pocket tournament players and then we can debate that lol.

eddie8842

getcha some of that
Silver Member
In the one pocket crowd in Houston, gambling is always the testament. One Pocket races to 3 and 4 don't determine the better player. Guys who do well in tournaments in general can do well in One Pocket tournaments.

Name The Top 20 One Pocket tournament players and then we can debate that lol.

I know about the 1-Pocket crowd in houston, been there many times
but i'm just saying you're gonna get responses that put other players in the top because technically, Derby City 1-Pocket is considered the 1-Pocket World Title
Efren, Shane, Alex, Corey, Scott, John Schmidt, Gabe Owen, Cliff Joyner, all champions
and when it comes to gambling, it's a different story
Danny, Tony, Busty, Justin Hall, Josh Roberts, Justin Bergman, Darren, Joey Gray, Chip Compton, all great gamblers in 1-Pocket, but not world title holders

and as far as the number 5 gambler, i'm gonna say Dennis as well, and if he keeps training with Efren, i see the student surpassing the teacher

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say shannon although he doesnt play much anymore, he moves in that game better then most already mentioned.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say shannon although he doesnt play much anymore, he moves in that game better then most already mentioned.

His match vs efren (galveston? ) on yourube is excellent. Bring a lunch, it is like 3.5 hrs.

Cant deny shannon has the snarts, nit he lacks the motivation...for the last decade.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good points Sir..,

I know about the 1-Pocket crowd in houston, been there many times
but i'm just saying you're gonna get responses that put other players in the top because technically, Derby City 1-Pocket is considered the 1-Pocket World Title
Efren, Shane, Alex, Corey, Scott, John Schmidt, Gabe Owen, Cliff Joyner, all champions
and when it comes to gambling, it's a different story
Danny, Tony, Busty, Justin Hall, Josh Roberts, Justin Bergman, Darren, Joey Gray, Chip Compton, all great gamblers in 1-Pocket, but not world title holders

and as far as the number 5 gambler, i'm gonna say Dennis as well, and if he keeps training with Efren, i see the student surpassing the teacher

Its got to be Dennis or Busty with Josh closing fast a couple years away, good company to be in!