Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it’s him,

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member​

Silver Member
What happened to Pat anyway?
I know he died several years ago but have never heard what caused his death.
I used to see him around town here in Seattle once in a while. His book was the first book I ever bought on pool. When I was new to playing pool he fixed a cheapo cue for me when the tip came off, and tapered the shaft for just a few bucks.
We talked about pool cues and he sent me in the right direction so I bought a new Huebler H-1.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These books reveal secrets the pros are reluctant to share.

FD1A76ED-F8B7-4921-B39A-36C4976A22D7.jpeg

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just discovered this thread. Of all the pool books I've got and read, these are the top ten I'd never part with:

W. W. Woody, Buddy Hall: Rags to Rifleman, and Then What? (Ridiculously expensive on the used market, needs to be reprinted)
David McCumber, Playing Off The Rail - I keep coming back to this book over and over. Maybe the best of the lot.
Ned Polsky, Hustlers, Beats and Others - 1967 classic study of the hustler culture in Manhattan pool halls
R. A. Dyer, Hustler Tales (Fats, Wimpy, and Jersey Red)
R. A. Dyer, The Hustler and the Champ (Fats and Mosconi)
Robert Byrne, McGoorty: The Story of a Billiard Bum
Ray Martin, The 99 Critical Shots in Pool
Cornbread Red: Pool's Greatest Money Player

Willie Mosconi, Willie's Game
Minnesota Fats with Tom Fox, The Bank Shot and Other Robberies. High percentage of BS but still entertaining.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some of you know that I work in the receiving area of a large bookstore. Now everyone does.

At work, thousands and thousands of new books pass through my hands on a weekly basis. I've thought about passing along some new pool-related books from time to time. Up until now, I've only thought about it. Now I'm gonna try it.

So from now on, I'm going to try to pass along a pic in this thread of all the pool-related books I come across and their ISBN.

Be patient please. Sometimes I don't see anything pool-related for a long while, but I'll do my best to inform you guys.

Again, this will be new releases and first trade releases, new mass market books, etc. Hopefully, this thread benefits some of you guys and maybe even the authors too. :)
I’m a big proponent of Phil Capelle’s 11 books and the new one he‘s writing called
“Pool Is The Answer”😃
It’s going to be the NUTS!

Attachments

• D15975C7-F718-41EA-99F9-B35AC88943E0.jpeg
    D15975C7-F718-41EA-99F9-B35AC88943E0.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 38

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just discovered this thread. Of all the pool books I've got and read, these are the top ten I'd never part with:

W. W. Woody, Buddy Hall: Rags to Rifleman, and Then What? (Ridiculously expensive on the used market, needs to be reprinted)
David McCumber, Playing Off The Rail - I keep coming back to this book over and over. Maybe the best of the lot.
Ned Polsky, Hustlers, Beats and Others - 1967 classic study of the hustler culture in Manhattan pool halls
R. A. Dyer, Hustler Tales (Fats, Wimpy, and Jersey Red)
R. A. Dyer, The Hustler and the Champ (Fats and Mosconi)
Robert Byrne, McGoorty: The Story of a Billiard Bum
Ray Martin, The 99 Critical Shots in Pool
Cornbread Red: Pool's Greatest Money Player

Willie Mosconi, Willie's Game
Minnesota Fats with Tom Fox, The Bank Shot and Other Robberies. High percentage of BS but still entertaining.
What about “Billiards” by John Grisam?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is not exactly a new book, but it is a new reprint. This was done by the daughter of Andrew Ponzi who wanted her family to know about her father. It is a very well-done reprint. The book is mostly biography with a little instruction, some trick shots and some pictures of the champions of Ponzi's era. He died in 1950 at the age of 47. The original book, printed in 1948, is quite rare. (Available on Ebay, not sure about other sales channels.)

1693327736047.png

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My FleeceBunk feed regularly gets ads from a guy who is in the process of publishing a book on his insights to the general principles of practice. The various blurbs he has written look enticing but lack specifics -- not even little tidbits and concepts. So.... it appears that he finally has a print copy available. I looked around for reviews (avoiding the ones on the author's website) and found one that started like this:

TL;DR: Don’t waste your money on this book. It is shallow, short and poorly written. The useful information in it would fit on a napkin. It concludes with a legal threat against copying, though it’s hard to imagine anyone wanting to.​
I read the (not really TL) rest of the review and agree with the reviewer's conclusions. He kept me from spending $40 on a 90-page book with large print that is mostly an ad for the author's "Master Class".

This is another example of the problem caused by the ease of self-publishing these days. While it enables excellent specialty books like the ones members here have published recently on Ralph Greenleaf and one pocket, it also produces great steaming piles of dreck. I've hit on some of the dreck in reviews above.