The BIG Mezz shaft thread!

MalibuMike

Banned
Love the Mezz Deep Impact Pro Break Shaft!

Best Break shaft I have!
Next is the Icebreaker by Tiger!
I also like my Mezz Hybrid Pro II, But I like my Tiger Pro-X best of all!
Also Check out BD 360-2, its an awesome shaft!
Don't waste your time and money on these new OB "Plus" Shafts, garbage!

Attachments

• 20150523_133759.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 2,296
  • 20150429_174214.jpg
    20150429_174214.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,985

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The DIP R shaft is great, I like that its got a little more give than the DIP H shaft.

Robvandam

PooOooL
The DIP R shaft is great, I like that its got a little more give than the DIP H shaft.

Yup, especially if you're not that fond of an extremely forward weighted break cue, the DIP H is nearly 1.5oz heavier than the DIP R.

On Another note, any reviews of the Pro Ex shaft? How does it compare with the rest of the Mezz Line Up.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Just a head's up:

If you order a Mezz shaft in 3/8x10, be aware that it will not fit a modified (flat bottom) 3/8x10 pin! They bore their shafts for a very tight fit, and the minor diameter of a standard 3/8x10 pin is smaller than the minor diameter of the modified pin. OB, Tiger, Predator etc all bore their shafts to a larger diameter, and will fit both pins. Mezz does not. It's an easy fix by any competent cue maker or repairman, but take that into account when you order the shaft.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=402248

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not 100% if this fits in the Mezz shaft thread, but forgive me if I'm mistaken :embarrassed2:

I finally got my 314/2 United joint shaft from Germany, and after changing the horrible Everest tip that came on it I'm truly amazed how good it feels for me personally.
It's feels great, the build quality seems to be up to Mezz standards. Nice looking wood, rolls very straight, there is no visible wobble at all when rolled on table.

It's like more natural to play with and overall I just love it. This shaft is "the one" for me, even though Predator is mocked and hated here on AzB :rolleyes: For some it simply works, and for now it feels pretty darn good to me, hopefully its not just a new shaft hype or anything like that :) I'll get back to this after a few weeks if I remember and give my input if it still feels this awesome then :grin:
It is not nearly as hard hitting as Mezz shafts, it feels a lot softer and hit is dampened much more than with my old wx700. That is something that I like alot, many players will think differently on this though. Some like hard hitting cues, some like a softer feeling.

Thats it for the hype and stuff, I actually had a question about it that I came here to ask :grin: Are these 314/2's made by Predator or Mezz? The website implies Mezz, but that would be kind of odd? Any insights on this?

Robvandam

PooOooL
Not 100% if this fits in the Mezz shaft thread, but forgive me if I'm mistaken :embarrassed2:

I finally got my 314/2 United joint shaft from Germany, and after changing the horrible Everest tip that came on it I'm truly amazed how good it feels for me personally.
It's feels great, the build quality seems to be up to Mezz standards. Nice looking wood, rolls very straight, there is no visible wobble at all when rolled on table.

It's like more natural to play with and overall I just love it. This shaft is "the one" for me, even though Predator is mocked and hated here on AzB :rolleyes: For some it simply works, and for now it feels pretty darn good to me, hopefully its not just a new shaft hype or anything like that :) I'll get back to this after a few weeks if I remember and give my input if it still feels this awesome then :grin:
It is not nearly as hard hitting as Mezz shafts, it feels a lot softer and hit is dampened much more than with my old wx700. That is something that I like alot, many players will think differently on this though. Some like hard hitting cues, some like a softer feeling.

Thats it for the hype and stuff, I actually had a question about it that I came here to ask :grin: Are these 314/2's made by Predator or Mezz? The website implies Mezz, but that would be kind of odd? Any insights on this?

314/2 are made by predator, can i check if you just got this is it actually a newer 314/3

314-3radial.jpg

You also mentioned you used a wx700 previously, i assume that was also a united joint for your current play cue?

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a 314/2, not the newer 314/3. My Mezz AYA cue came with the WX700 shaft, that was mentioned in this same thread regarding its weight earlier on. I just changed from WX700 to a 314/2 on the same butt.
I will never sell the WX700 though as its a good shaft and occasionally i will play a few racks with it. For now the predator just feels easier for me, i seem to get a bit too much action with the mezz and having to compensate for it is annoying atleast. This is probably caused by the fact that the first serious playing cue that I practiced a lot with had a 1st gen predator on it, and I got accustomed to playing with it.
However when I got around buying my own cue, I went for a Mezz with a Mezz shaft. Mostly because they are in such good reputation here on AzB.
Now im starting to realize the old fact: Dont fix it if it aint broke. And I shouldn't have done just so. It will take some time to get accustomed back to playing with the predator shaft, but it will be easier for me than adjusting to the mezz shaft to the level that i can play with a predator.
I think that we should all play with what ever feels the most natural to us, and for me it seems to be a 314. In the end I love my Mezz cue, no matter who manufactured the shaft that is attached to it as far as I enjoy playing with it :smile:

Robvandam

PooOooL
It is a 314/2, not the newer 314/3. My Mezz AYA cue came with the WX700 shaft, that was mentioned in this same thread regarding its weight earlier on. I just changed from WX700 to a 314/2 on the same butt.
I will never sell the WX700 though as its a good shaft and occasionally i will play a few racks with it. For now the predator just feels easier for me, i seem to get a bit too much action with the mezz and having to compensate for it is annoying atleast. This is probably caused by the fact that the first serious playing cue that I practiced a lot with had a 1st gen predator on it, and I got accustomed to playing with it.
However when I got around buying my own cue, I went for a Mezz with a Mezz shaft. Mostly because they are in such good reputation here on AzB.
Now im starting to realize the old fact: Dont fix it if it aint broke. And I shouldn't have done just so. It will take some time to get accustomed back to playing with the predator shaft, but it will be easier for me than adjusting to the mezz shaft to the level that i can play with a predator.
I think that we should all play with what ever feels the most natural to us, and for me it seems to be a 314. In the end I love my Mezz cue, no matter who manufactured the shaft that is attached to it as far as I enjoy playing with it

Cool, Did u check the weight of the 314 shaft , one thing I discovered when switching over to Mezz from predators myself was the overall balance of the cue.

Generally speaking the Mezz shafts are consistently heavier than the 314 shafts thus affecting the balance quite considerably on some occasions.

Perhaps that's also one of the contributing factors why u like ur 314 over the wx700? IMHO I think we often overlook how the balance of the cue is affected by shaft (weight) changes.

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got one of those 314-2's in united joint as well. They're blank shafts without a joint that Mezz acquires and installs the united joint on themselves. Why this is offered at all, I'm not entirely sure, but the Predator shafts with this joint seem to be much harder to get ahold of. After spending an afternoon trying to find the difference between a stock 5/16x14 and united joint 314-2 with some blind tests in between, I found that the united joint one felt ever so slightly crisper in feedback than the standard version.

I realized that I'm partial to moderately stiff to stiff shafts, so I'm keeping a combination of WD700s and HP2's, which I'm pretty comfortable interchanging use of. As a result, the 314-2 united isn't for me, and I'm looking to get rid of mine.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool, Did u check the weight of the 314 shaft , one thing I discovered when switching over to Mezz from predators myself was the overall balance of the cue.

Generally speaking the Mezz shafts are consistently heavier than the 314 shafts thus affecting the balance quite considerably on some occasions.

Perhaps that's also one of the contributing factors why u like ur 314 over the wx700? IMHO I think we often overlook how the balance of the cue is affected by shaft (weight) changes.

4.1 oz for the Predator 314/2 United Joint shaft, and still going strong with it :)
0.5oz lighter than the WX700, so maybe it could affect the balance point slightly. Nonetheless, I like it a lot :eek:

RascalDoc

RascalDoc
Silver Member
, I was looking to try a MEZZ Q so I worked out a trade with somebody here on az and wound up with an discontinued model with the United joint. at least I think the model is discontinue is because I can't find it listed or photos of it anywhere. It came with a WD 700 shaft. It's got a little blemish in the butt sleeve and I'm not real crazy about the looks, strictly cosmetic, and the only black linen wrap I like at all is double black. Before I spent the money on refinish and a wrap to my liking I looked around for another MEZZ that appealed to me more. I found another discontinued model as close to brand new as it could get. This one came with a MEZZ ORIGINAL maple shaft. The cue is a little heavier than I like and when I came upon this thread I realized I should be weighing the shafts. On weighing them I find the 700 shaft weighs 4.2 ounces and the original I assume plain maple shaft weighs 4.6 ounces. It appears I got a very unusually heavy shaft

Val

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just an update on the issue regarding the fact that Mezz shaft in 3/8x10 will not fit a modified (flat bottom) 3/8x10 pin.

It is true, but I have discovered that Mezz wavy joint will fit the modified (flat bottom) 3/8x10 pin. Nevertheless, it will not fit the regular 3/8x10.

Val

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good question. Does anyone know if the shafts weights are usable with the existing shafts? At least the recent ones?

Robvandam

PooOooL
Good question. Does anyone know if the shafts weights are usable with the existing shafts? At least the recent ones?
I just asked a Mezz proprietor in my area and he mentioned that the you would need to request the shafts be made to take the weights / cored deeper to facilitate the weights

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just an update on the issue regarding the fact that Mezz shaft in 3/8x10 will not fit a modified (flat bottom) 3/8x10 pin.

It is true, but I have discovered that Mezz wavy joint will fit the modified (flat bottom) 3/8x10 pin. Nevertheless, it will not fit the regular 3/8x10.

Thats not a Mezz spesific problem. The 3/8x10M pin has another thread profile and requires retaping of the shaft.
Any cuemaker or repair person will be able to fix this in less that 5 minutes.
Wavy Joint is 3/8x9 I would not recomend threading that on a 3/8x10 pin.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Just bought the Mezz Sneaky Pete with a HP2 shaft and I am really happy with it. I can see why ppl say it's hard to draw. This is because it's a stiff shaft. If you're used to flexing the shaft to do a power draw you'll find that it doesn't work worth a darn with this shaft. Use a level cue and a straight stroke and it'll come back four days.

My other player is from Jon Spitz. It's a Davis conversion with a 314-2. The HP2 definitely has a more solid hit and certainly a better feel. My only complaint is that I didn't like the smoothness of the shaft. It was almost like raw wood. Once I put it on my lathe and reseal it I'm sure I'll like it much better