The Character Arc of Fast Eddie Felson

MurrayNevada

I read it when it first came out. I don't remember a lot of it. There was crazy stuff like I think Fats in the FL keys fishing or something. For fun I'm going to read it again.
Then Eddie finds Fats in the Florida Keys, and they go on an exhibition tour around the country. This is prior to Eddie opening his art gallery.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not a cruise fan but to give the devil his due I think he played "Vince" to the hilt. A bit prescient from the eighties too, he said the military would be hunting gamers someday!

Since we are blurring the two movies a bit, Newman, Gleason, Scott, and Laurie were all awesome in their roles. Newman makes that boast, "I am the best, even if you beat me I am still the best!" You can see the doubt and fear in his eyes in the close-up. The Hustler must have been awesome on the big screen.

Five more minutes of screen time and Gleason would have stolen the show completely. You knew he had played a lot of pool and watched big time action if not been involved. I watched the movie the first time or two watching Newman. After that I watched it to watch Gleason. All of the lightweight roles he took, then you realize he could have been one of the greats of the screen.

Hu

middleofnowhere

Registered
Not a cruise fan but to give the devil his due I think he played "Vince" to the hilt. A bit prescient from the eighties too, he said the military would be hunting gamers someday!

Since we are blurring the two movies a bit, Newman, Gleason, Scott, and Laurie were all awesome in their roles. Newman makes that boast, "I am the best, even if you beat me I am still the best!" You can see the doubt and fear in his eyes in the close-up. The Hustler must have been awesome on the big screen.

Five more minutes of screen time and Gleason would have stolen the show completely. You knew he had played a lot of pool and watched big time action if not been involved. I watched the movie the first time or two watching Newman. After that I watched it to watch Gleason. All of the lightweight roles he took, then you realize he could have been one of the greats of the screen.

Hu
I think Jackie Gleason was a great actor he can bridge that Gap from making you laugh one minute to making you cry the next. What kept him from more success and movies was the fact that he really didn't like to rehearse and making movies is hard work not something Jackie Gleason was fond of.