The Color of Money (film 1986)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Agree that "the Hustler" was a great performance by Newman, but the award each year is based on competition for that given year; not how good an actor was compared to prior performances.
I have to admit the pickings were a little slim for the 1987 Best Actor.

pj
chgo

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm gonna get banned for this but (IMHO) I think Newman was MUCH better in Hustler than in TCOM.....his academy award for TCOM was really a "lifetime achievement award" in my opinion..

Oh it definitely was. Months before the Color of Money came out I bet a guy $500 that Newman would win best actor. He thought it was the dumbest bet ever. I thought it was the easiest $500 I ever made.

The pool world needs a sequel to COM.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Hustler is better.

Casting Tom Cruise was a mistake in The Color Of Money. The casting and the acting in The Hustler is classic along with the fact it was in gritty black and white. Cruise claim to fame was Risky Business and Rainman. The rest of his movies are box office BS.

"Hello Eddie's girl"

The Hustler is better.

The Hustler is in a different league. Way better of a movie, in my opinion. The Hustler gives The Color of Money the 6 out and the breaks, playing 9 ball.

That said, I do love The Color of Money.

The Hustler is just on an entirely different level of great.

I also really enjoyed Poolhall Junkies. Not a great pool movie, but a really enjoyable movie. Loved the cast.

Odd thing about The Color of Money movie: It's the sequel to The Hustler movie, which is based on a novel by Walter Tevis, and the movie is very close to the book. Tevis also wrote a book sequel to The Hustler. The title of that book is "The Color of Money", but The Color of Money movie is not based on the novel. It's a completely different story, but same title.

That is very interesting. I never knew that.

For comparison, Color of Money is 9-ball. The Hustler is 14.1. It’s not just the games played in those movies respectively (it is). It’s a metaphore for each movie’s pacing. The Hustler requires some patience at certain points but if you have it you get to appreciate subtle nuances and beauty unique to that style of storytelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Hustler is not only a great pool movie, it is a great movie in general. It is the type of movie that you would love even if you had never played a game of pool in your life, or had never been interested in pool at all. The story is just wonderful, and I am not talking about the pool related part of the story, but of coarse I also loved all of the pool related segments.

More action. I can do without the disastrous love story.

Eddie killing Burt would've been a nice finish, and then maybe turning the gun on himself. Oh well, if he did that, no TCOM
Jason

No action? The movie was full of great action.

Spoilers coming:

Eddie beating the pants off of Minnesota Fats before drinking himself into a coma, before losing almost every last dollar he had to his name.

Eddie running like a 10 pack on some guy he hustled, before getting his thumbs broken.

Eddie beating a gentleman billiard (3 cushion) player at his own game, at a game that he rarely ever played, out of how much? Can't remember now, but his 25% cut was like $2500 or $3,000 iirc. Been awhile since I seen the movie, so can't remember that detail.

Eddie beating the pants off of Minnesota Fats yet again, but beating him even worse then he did before, until Fats quit.

The movie was full of action. Way more action then The Color of Money.

Just an amazing movie.

The Color of Money is laughable in comparison.

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No action? The movie was full of great action.

Spoilers coming:

Eddie beating the pants off of Minnesota Fats before drinking himself into a coma, before losing almost every last dollar he had to his name.

Eddie running like a 10 pack on some guy he hustled, before getting his thumbs broken.

Eddie beating a gentleman billiard (3 cushion) player at his own game, at a game that he rarely ever played, out of how much? Can't remember now, but his 25% cut was like $2500 or $3,000 iirc. Been awhile since I seen the movie, so can't remember that detail.

Eddie beating the pants off of Minnesota Fats yet again, but beating him even worse then he did before, until Fats quit.

The movie was full of action. Way more action then The Color of Money.

Just an amazing movie.

The Color of Money is laughable in comparison.

hollywood added the dame drama
the hustler book is really good, too..without that

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Ponder this on the Color of Money and how it stands the test of time.

It was made before Texas Express became defacto 9-ball rules. This was made before dedicated break and jump cues were popularized. No template racks, and you don't see anyone in the movie complaining about breaking from a box or softbreak. I don't think Simonis 860 or Aramith Super Pros came out yet, it was still Brunswick Centennials.

If you were in New York City at the time, the popularity of pool because of this movie was why Amsterdam and Chelsea Billiards opened up.

Last edited:
Ponder this on the Color of Money and how it stands the test of time.

It was made before Texas Express became defacto 9-ball rules. This was made before dedicated break and jump cues were popularized. No template racks, and you don't see anyone in the movie complaining about breaking from a box or softbreak. I don't think Simonis 860 or Aramith Super Pros came out yet, it was still Brunswick Centennials.

If you were in New York City at the time, the popularity of pool because of this movie was why Amsterdam and Chelsea Billiards opened up.

Great post. Very interesting.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder why they did not use a Adam Japan Balabushka replica for the cue in the Movie, at least calling a Balabushka it would have looked like one. Not that the Joss is not sweet and It is one of my fav cues, But they could have gotten them cheap enough to make the scene, I like the Color of Money but the movie could have been a ton better. I wish there would have been more pool scenes and More of Eddie playing , It could have used that old school pool hustler vibe the Hustler had. Jackie Gleason made that feel real with his way off Paul Newman. It just seems the movie was thrown together to quick. They should have Mosconi help with it as well. Maybe even had Fats play himself as the Son of Minnesota fats ,lol.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder why they did not use a Adam Japan Balabushka replica for the cue in the Movie, ...
Color of Money October 1986 release (1985 filming?)

Balabushka Signature Cues from Adam introduced in May 1989

I think the first caused the second.

Color of Money October 1986 release (1985 filming?)

Balabushka Signature Cues from Adam introduced in May 1989

I think the first caused the second.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I am actually surprised that the Adam Balabushka cues came out as early as 89. I always thought they came out in the 90's, but the 80's were before my time, so I would not have known about them anyways.

I think with the big budget that the movie probably had, they probably could have obtained an authentic Balabushka for the movie. Or maybe at least a loaner. I imagine the owner of the cue would not have minded. Probably would have made the value of the cue even more valuable then it already was at the time.

I guess that is a silly idea though, because they would not want Vincent spinning around an authentic Balabushka. Even in 85, I imagine they were pretty valuable.

Joss was a really big cue on the Pro tour back then, so it makes sense why they would have Joss build them a cue for the movie. Should have made the cue more classic Bushka style though, and with sharp points, not rounded off points. I do not think they ever showed the points up that close anyways, and nobody probably cared what the cue looked like.

Last edited:

Racky BallBoa

Registered
Song

The song "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon remind me of the movie TCOM

I liked both movies.

I would like to see a Quentin Tarantino version of a pool movie.