The Eyes Have It

dquarasr

Registered
I've been struggling with consistency. I just spent an hour recording my stance, elbow, swing. I have concluded that my stroke is pretty reliable. It's my aim. And no, it's not ghost ball vs CTE or any other aiming system. It's that I don't know how to use my eyes.

Here's what I tried. Each of these methods mostly works when I am 100% positive I am looking at the shot line and contact point correctly:
1 My vision center is just left of the bridge of my nose. I tried aligning the cue just left of the bridge of my nose. I had very little success with this method. I missed CB right and left, no pattern.

2 I am left-eye dominant. I tried aligning the cue under my left eye. This was eye-opening (see what I did there? LOL). I noticed on angled shots to the right (where the angle went to the right, contact point was on the left side of the OB), I was pretty accurate. On angled shots to the left, closing my right eye revealed I was not even close to being aligned. Also, I found that having my right eye open was a huge distraction. (Anyone ever shot with an eye patch? That's only a half-serious question.)

3a I tried aligning directly under my chin. This seemed most comfortable and "natural". Of course there are two CBs images presented to the brain. I'd align the center of the intersection of the two images to the intended target line. I found that this method was more repeatable and comfortable, strangely enough, if I stood a little bit straighter. I think this is because of having to extend my neck uncomfortably to point my face directly to the shot (I had broken my neck in 2010 and have residual problems). I found that if I stand up a little, it's more comfortable yet fairly reliable.

3b Aligning under my chin but much further down on the shot, incurring the shoulder pain because of my previous injury.

So, my question: based on what I describe here, what should I do to align my head and eyes? I'm leaning toward 3a but NONE of these methods is satisfactory (yet). Yes, I know HAMB. But in the last months I am getting frustrated. I learn things, but I don't think I'm any better than I was when I started. Yes, I'm hitting the CB more on the intended impact point, eliminating unwanted spin and squirt, but as far as pocketing balls, I'm really not any better off.

Any input is MOST appreciated. This game has become almost an obsession. I go hot and cold on it. Some days I vow to put the cue down and walk away for a week. Then the next day or even a few hours later I go back to the table and try again. Some days I am so frustrated I decide I'm going to throw in the towel and sell the table. Some days I rage quit. Yes, I know, bad, bad, bad to do. Then there are days when I can run out a six-ball rack, which gives me (false?) hope and brings me back.

Comments welcome on the frustration part of this post, even if it's only commiseration, but I'm really after input on aligning my head and eyes. As always, thanks for the help, and for reading this far.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With chin over the stick, the horizontal tilt of your face can make a difference in squaring away at a shot. I find it more important though, to find the actual stick misalignment. You can do this by lagging perpendicularly the long way and adding this one simple drill: Freeze the cue ball to another ball and shoot this combination so the cue ball tracks perfectly behind the object ball. Doing this should reveal any tricks your vision is playing on you. It may be the only relevant way to calibrate your stroke.

dquarasr

Registered
With chin over the stick, the horizontal tilt of your face can make a difference in squaring away at a shot. I find it more important though, to find the actual stick misalignment. You can do this by lagging perpendicularly the long way and adding this one simple drill: Freeze the cue ball to another ball and shoot this combination so the cue ball tracks perfectly behind the object ball. Doing this should reveal any tricks your vision is playing on you. It may be the only relevant way to calibrate your stroke.
Thanks for the reply.

Huh? Lagging perpendicularly the long way? Do you rather mean longitudinally? And freezing the CB to another ball, wouldn't that better indicate whether I lined up the two balls more than it shows a defect in cue alignment? Not sure I understand what you are suggesting. . . . .

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
aligning the cue just left of the bridge of my nose
Align the cue to the shot.
Back up from the table as far as you can get and look at the shot.
Is the white ball lined up with the object ball?
The ball is two inches wide.
A 1° deviation at ten feet away and you would be off by the width of a ball.
Surely you can see the shot and its line from that distance or farther.
Trust that and walk to the shot on that line.
Sense delivering the cue down that line before you get to the table.
Sighting while down is a fools game.
Don‘t throw yourself off while getting down.
I put my cue with tip grounded on the line, when possible.
When not possible, I put my cue vertical between me and the shot line and lower it onto the line.
I‘m left eyed, old and cross eyed and my eyes work independent of each other after two operations and the ball goes where I point my cue.
I don’t trust adjustment after I get down.
If I throw off my perspective, after I get down, I get up.
Sometimes I don’t even get up.
I trust my standing alignment and getting down without throwing it off.
I can close my eyes and deliver the cue.
Line up a ball corner to corner, close your eyes and shoot it straight in.
Do it again, but this time, close your eyes, stay down and when you open your eyes, is the cue pointed in the pocket?
Take it from someone who spent way too much time on this.
The only alignment tool I ever use, is occasionally making sure I’m seeing equal amounts of both sides of the cue.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try this: Stay away from the game for 2 weeks. Then go back and just play without thinking. See how that feels. I've been there. I know what it feels like when you need to push the reset button in your head.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply.

Huh? Lagging perpendicularly the long way? Do you rather mean longitudinally? And freezing the CB to another ball, wouldn't that better indicate whether I lined up the two balls more than it shows a defect in cue alignment? Not sure I understand what you are suggesting. . . . .
The long way is more indicative of <the long way>. Anyway that would be the standard over the spot middle diamond to middle diamond cue ball drill. Shooting frozen balls as linearly as you can until there is no error is just an addendum to that but I think fundamentally deeper and more productive. See, the idea is: what good is perfect eye alignment if your stroke cannot deliver? I have a good eyeball drill as well but that's another couple paragraphs nobody asked about. lol...

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry to hear you've been struggling- I can relate.
to me, "consistency" is a bear of a concept
I'm not sure what to say about aiming and stroking
but one thing that helped me
was learning for myself what my level really was
once I figured that out
(unrealistic) ideas of how good I was disappeared
which helped me keep a cooler head mentally
and also understand what I really need to work on
I'm sure there are many ways to gauge skill
I like this one:

also, if I understand the meaning of "rage quit"-
is that bad to quit when you're frustrated?
I get the value of persevering, soldiering on, etc.
but if you're really finding no joy on the table
what's wrong with taking a break?

after all, pool can be a very fun game
we may as well take advantage of that
that's a good thing to remember, I think
and who knows, finding a way to enjoy the game
might help you shoot better
try some new games, new drills, whatever
everybody is different..find out what works for you

good luck!!

dquarasr

Registered
Align the cue to the shot.
Back up from the table as far as you can get and look at the shot.
Surely you can see the shot and its line from that distance or farther.
Trust that and walk to the shot on that line.
Sighting while down is a fools game.
I trust my standing alignment and getting down without throwing it off.
Take it from someone who spent way too much time on this.
The only alignment tool I ever use, is occasionally making sure I’m seeing equal amounts of both sides of the cue.

I've tried this. A couple of weeks ago I was pocketing pretty well doing what you suggest. Then it stopped working. Dunno why.

Try this: Stay away from the game for 2 weeks. Then go back and just play without thinking. See how that feels. I've been there. I know what it feels like when you need to push the reset button in your head.

I've also tried this. Just two weeks ago I was out of town and was away from the table. However, I must admit I was thinking about it during quiet moments. Maybe I need to get away from it mentally, too. Similar to what lmac007 suggested, I did try playing without thinking. Worked, then didn't. I don't know what had changed.

But I play in league, in fact, tonight will be my first time back in competition (such as it is!) in over a year. I already missed one week since this season started because I was out of town. I don't want to be "that guy" who is unreliable and doesn't show up regularly, so I can't be away for a couple of weeks, although based on what I'm experiencing, it might be best in the long run.

dquarasr

Registered
sorry to hear you've been struggling- I can relate.
but one thing that helped me
was learning for myself what my level really was
once I figured that out
(unrealistic) ideas of how good I was disappeared
which helped me keep a cooler head mentally
good luck!!
Thanks for the sentiments.

I have definitely evaluated my expectations. I do feel as though each time I line up on the 1-ball I'm going to run out. That unrealistic expectation has taken some of the joy from the game.

Yours and previous are good comments about the mental and emotional parts of the game and how they contribute or detract from getting better.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the sentiments.

I have definitely evaluated my expectations. I do feel as though each time I line up on the 1-ball I'm going to run out. That unrealistic expectation has taken some of the joy from the game.

Yours and previous are good comments about the mental and emotional parts of the game and how they contribute or detract from getting better.

pool is a deceptively difficult game
in a few ways, I think it seems easier than it is
there are a lot of good pool players out there
but if you measured those players
against everyone that ever picked up a cue
I think the ratio might be telling..I'm not sure
point is, shooting real good pool is not easy
that's another good reality check, I think

as you yourself mentioned
the mental and emotional can contribute, or detract
you'll get good advice here and other places
but ultimately, nobody knows your game better than you

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for pulling this stuff out of context. Just wanted to post at a couple of your points.
A couple of weeks ago I was pocketing pretty well doing what you suggest. Then it stopped working. Dunno why.

Similar to what lmac007 suggested, I did try playing without thinking. Worked, then didn't. I don't know what had changed.
You need intimate familiarity with your game in order to have it under <your> control. You can't be a weekender (weakened warrior) and expect it all to fall into place. Maybe you should relax and just play your speed. That's what the handicaps are for.

One of the ironies of pool is needing instant gratification will keep you a banger. Pool has to be enjoyed in a broader sense. You don't ever have to feel you must run out or even make something just because it's your turn. Often times just moving balls into the open is enough of a threat to win that rack. Take small steps. Go about it patiently and learn to appreciate the small gains.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
1) I agree with you--HAMB doesn't work if you're merely drilling in bad habits.

2) It's not enough to put the cue stick under your VC. You have to ensure the amount of head rotation is consistent, and the height of the head above the table is consistent, plus footwork and arm placement also.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried this. A couple of weeks ago I was pocketing pretty well doing what you suggest. Then it stopped working. Dunno why.

I've also tried this. Just two weeks ago I was out of town and was away from the table. However, I must admit I was thinking about it during quiet moments. Maybe I need to get away from it mentally, too. Similar to what lmac007 suggested, I did try playing without thinking. Worked, then didn't. I don't know what had changed.

But I play in league, in fact, tonight will be my first time back in competition (such as it is!) in over a year. I already missed one week since this season started because I was out of town. I don't want to be "that guy" who is unreliable and doesn't show up regularly, so I can't be away for a couple of weeks, although based on what I'm experiencing, it might be best in the long run.
Yes, the whole idea of stepping away from the game is to change your focus to something else. I enjoy golf, so I would put my focus on that for a few weeks. You won't be productive when your brain starts to overload. I'm sure there are other things in your life that you can focus for a couple of weeks without thinking about pool. Sure, play on your league night and privately think of it as part of your vacation away from pool --- play with no expectations. No pressure. No one has to know.

dquarasr

Registered
Sorry for pulling this stuff out of context. Just wanted to post at a couple of your points.

You need intimate familiarity with your game in order to have it under <your> control. You can't be a weekender (weakened warrior) and expect it all to fall into place. Maybe you should relax and just play your speed. That's what the handicaps are for.

One of the ironies of pool is needing instant gratification will keep you a banger. Pool has to be enjoyed in a broader sense. You don't ever have to feel you must run out or even make something just because it's your turn. Often times just moving balls into the open is enough of a threat to win that rack. Take small steps. Go about it patiently and learn to appreciate the small gains.
Prescient comments.

Yes, the whole idea of stepping away from the game is to change your focus to something else. I enjoy golf, so I would put my focus on that for a few weeks. You won't be productive when your brain starts to overload. I'm sure there are other things in your life that you can focus for a couple of weeks without thinking about pool. Sure, play on your league night and privately think of it as part of your vacation away from pool --- play with no expectations. No pressure. No one has to know.

Indeed. You're right, I put more pressure on myself. One of my pool buddies (he's up to a 7 in APA, shooting really well) keeps telling me I'm playing pretty well, but silly me, I compare it to my expectations and I'm well shy of them. I need to tell the little voice in my head to STFU!

Time to reset expectations and just enjoy the damned game. :)

Fran, you also play golf, eh? Glutton for self-abuse? LOL!! (This is one reason I have NOT tried golf. I know it would make me (more) insane!)

Great comments, all.
2) It's not enough to put the cue stick under your VC. You have to ensure the amount of head rotation is consistent, and the height of the head above the table is consistent, plus footwork and arm placement also.

I'll pay attention to these next practice session. Your second comment about height of head above the table being consistent is one I'll have to ponder. Based on my experimentation, this has had less of an impact on my consistency than I expected. I assume, though, that varying stance height impacts stroke mechanics. I'll play with this, too, but not before league tonight. Thanks.

dquarasr

Registered
Update: I banged in two 9-ball racks using Imac007's suggestion of trusting the alignment gleaned while standing up, getting down on the shot, and shooting it. In two racks I only missed two shots that I should have made, and both of them in hindsight I realize I steered (gotta quit doing that!). I think I was out in both racks in less than two innings (playing against myself). So I'll go with that some more. Some of the shots I actually surprised myself that I made. I just trusted the alignment and delivered the cue straight along the shot line, never looking at the shot line again to verify I was lined up. I only looked at the CB briefly to ensure I was contacting it in the intended spot (center, low, high, left or right). Seemed to work OK.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update: I banged in two 9-ball racks using Imac007's suggestion of trusting the alignment gleaned while standing up, getting down on the shot, and shooting it. In two racks I only missed two shots that I should have made, and both of them in hindsight I realize I steered (gotta quit doing that!). I think I was out in both racks in less than two innings (playing against myself). So I'll go with that some more. Some of the shots I actually surprised myself that I made. I just trusted the alignment and delivered the cue straight along the shot line, never looking at the shot line again to verify I was lined up. I only looked at the CB briefly to ensure I was contacting it in the intended spot (center, low, high, left or right). Seemed to work OK.
How you verify that you were hitting the cue ball in the correct spot??? Did you use a Rempe ball or a stripe ball to see the chalk mark??? When shooting a rifle, the first thing to do is sight it in...You may want to try shooting some straight in shots then examine the cue ball.

Last edited:

dquarasr

Registered
How you verify that you were hitting the cue ball in the correct spot??? Did you use a Rempe ball or a stripe ball to see the chalk mark??? When shooting a rifle, the first thing to do is sight it in...You may want to try shooting some straight in shots then examine the cue ball.
OMG, yes. I have done this for weeks to verify I am hitting intended impact point on CB.