The facts about the final.

sausage

Banned
And we wonder why pool is having difficulty promoting itself, getting sponsors and tv coverage? Really, the problem starts not with Alex but with the organizers and referrees for permitting this travesty to happen.

If pool really wants to clean up its image, it needs to start at the top not at the bottom.

oh, come on.... even when mosconi and friends were playing in tuxedos the game got very little attention from "sports fans". you don't know people very well. bubba sixpack ain't gunna watch a game of straight pool let alone an entire tournament. it's not a great spectator sport. it's a specialty that only a minority of pool players enjoy to play and watch and even we have some difficulty watching some slow players pocket balls. Alex has nothing to do with this. NOTHING.... in fact, -like i previously mentioned- his antics might even increase viewership.

there's a reason why Fat's got so much TV time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR8z7NIbA_I

sausage

Banned
as far as i could tell everyone was enjoying the match.
It was not your typical 14.1 match, but no one seemed to be offended by alex's behavior during the match.
I would like to know how many of the comments on this thread have been made by people who were actually at the match.
How is this one instance going to hurt the game?

Slim

exactly.... this ain't no miss america pageant, this is pool, rife with dingy, smoke-filled halls, cursing, illegal gambling, nefarious characters, and sharking. if you want to popularize the sport fergetabout trying to clean up our image.

Last edited:

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
exactly.... this ain't no miss america pageant, this is pool, rife with dingy, smoke-filled halls, cursing, illegal gambling, nefarious characters, and sharking. if you want to popularize the sport fergetabout trying to clean up our image.

I’ve been to at least 10 poolrooms in the northeast in the past year or so; Guys –n- Dolls Billiards (Edwardsville, PA), Jack –n- Jill Billiards (Wilkes-Barre, PA), Cuetime Billiards (Hazleton, PA), Cosmo’s Billiards (Scranton, PA), Ashland Billiards (Ashland, PA), Gallery Billiards (Bartonsville, PA), Tight Pocket Billiards (East Stroudsburg, PA), Castle Billiards (East Rutherford, NJ), Sandcastle Billiards (Edison, NJ), Comet Billiards (Parsippany, NJ) and Breaker Billiards (Clifton, NJ).

Zero of the 10 were dingy, nor smoke-filled. In fact, smoking wasn’t allowed in 9 of them. I did hear some cursing, most were from me though…lol. There were no “nefarious characters” in any of them and I didn’t see anyone sharking their opponent – in fact they were all talking, or laughing, or discussing the game, or the weather. I was at each one on at least one weekend night when they were busy and saw nothing that you described. Maybe the room owners in the northeast care more about their business and customers to let the nightmare that you described happen. What rooms do you go to or know of that are like your description?

Ron F

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

I’ve been to at least 10 poolrooms in the northeast in the past year or so; Guys –n- Dolls Billiards (Edwardsville, PA), Jack –n- Jill Billiards (Wilkes-Barre, PA), Cuetime Billiards (Hazleton, PA), Cosmo’s Billiards (Scranton, PA), Ashland Billiards (Ashland, PA), Gallery Billiards (Bartonsville, PA), Tight Pocket Billiards (East Stroudsburg, PA), Castle Billiards (East Rutherford, NJ), Sandcastle Billiards (Edison, NJ), Comet Billiards (Parsippany, NJ) and Breaker Billiards (Clifton, NJ).

Zero of the 10 were dingy, nor smoke-filled. In fact, smoking wasn’t allowed in 9 of them. I did hear some cursing, most were from me though…lol. There were no “nefarious characters” in any of them and I didn’t see anyone sharking their opponent – in fact they were all talking, or laughing, or discussing the game, or the weather. I was at each one on at least one weekend night when they were busy and saw nothing that you described. Maybe the room owners in the northeast care more about their business and customers to let the nightmare that you described happen. What rooms do you go to or know of that are like your description?

Ron F

Tap...Tap....Tap....

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tap...Tap....Tap....

"But yet, if you go down to Texas, especially the Dallas and El Paso areas, the story's completely different. Shady rooms and shady players, especially those with monikers like '14-1StraightMan' and 'Blackjack'. S-c-a-r-y stuff!"

:p :D

J/K,
-Sean

sausage

Banned

Ron F

you're hanging at the wrong halls. ;) regardless, it really doesn't matter with regard to my point that a little drunken blather will do nothing but INCREASE viewership. if his opponent didn't care then neither should anyone else. also, if beer is allowed to be swilled by the contestants during the match, then the rule makers have no leg to stand on when denouncing drunken behavior. beer is consumed to get a buzz. there's no getting around that simple statement. in fact alcohol could be considered "doping". i previously alluded to this fact. and, as i understand it, the current unwritten rules are; you can get drugged up and play a championship pool game but don't show it. if you allow getting drugged, expect drugged behavior. you guys want this to become an olympic event right? do you think that the Olympic committee would allow alcohol consumption?

if 14.1 is to be all prim and proper and sanitized with bow ties and vests, expect another 100 years of no Tee Vee coverage. if i were running the show, i'd allow sharking, loud farting, cursing, drinking, throwing chalk, bare-knuckle brawls and riding motorcycles into the pool hall. now THAT'D get a network contract....

Last edited:

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Lol

Your thoughts and opinions fall in the 7th sigma of the bell-shaped curve. Nothing wrong with that - just different. :)

Ron F

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Lmao

you're hanging at the wrong halls. ;) regardless, it really doesn't matter with regard to my point that a little drunken blather will do nothing but INCREASE viewership. if his opponent didn't care then neither should anyone else. also, if beer is allowed to be swilled by the contestants during the match, then the rule makers have no leg to stand on when denouncing drunken behavior. beer is consumed to get a buzz. there's no getting around that simple statement. in fact alcohol could be considered "doping". i previously alluded to this fact. and, as i understand it, the current unwritten rules are; you can get drugged up and play a championship pool game but don't show it. if you allow getting drugged, expect drugged behavior. you guys want this to become an olympic event right? do you think that the Olympic committee would allow alcohol consumption?

if 14.1 is to be all prim and proper and sanitized with bow ties and vests, expect another 100 years of no Tee Vee coverage. if i were running the show, i'd allow sharking, loud farting, cursing, drinking, throwing chalk, bare-knuckle brawls and riding motorcycles into the pool hall. now THAT'D get a network contract....

It increased viewership, yeah, but for the wrong reasons. Looking at it through a positive lens like that would be equivalent to, ohhhh, I don’t know… maybe being proud of a daughter for being so popular, only to discover that the source of her popularity derives from her becoming a stripper. I wouldn’t be happy or proud of that, but hey, maybe some people would.

His opponent didn’t care? Of course Darren didn’t care. Why would he care?? Hell, how much easier could it get to snap off 1st place?? But is whether his opponent cared or not the only thing that mattered? Being a professional at something, anything, to me at least, means you be where you’re supposed to be when you’re supposed to be there in condition to perform and executing your performance with integrity. Anything else would be, well, simply unprofessional. Hell, you don’t even need to be a professional for those characteristics to apply – I’d say that’s a proper mindset for being a good father too. In light of the state Alex got himself into, since he couldn’t fulfill his professional obligations, the right thing, the respectable thing to have done would have been to notify Bill that he was unable to play and that he needed to forfeit his match. Wouldn’t matter why. Wouldn’t matter at all. Just simply, I apologize, but I cannot play tonight, and he could’ve gone back to the bar and had a blast. To elect to play, in that state, in front of a paying audience, was unprofessional and who knows, may be a sign of alcoholism. If not, then it was at the very least an immature thing to do.

Getting drunk is synonymous with “doping”? That’s not even a stretch – that’s absolutely ridiculous. First of all, to be on the United States Anti-Doping Agency or the World Anti-Doping Agency’s list of prohibited substances, a drug must have the ability to enhance performance. Alcohol is not on the list because it doesn’t enhance performance, it RETARDS it.

I don’t quite get why some people cast aspersions by identifying straight pool players as somehow “different”. I’d say the majority of straight players, professionals and amateurs alike, do or have played 3-ball, 7-ball, 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball, banks, 1-pocket and pocket pool. Well, only the male players for that last one. What led to the thought process that all straight pool players of today believe pool needs to be played the way Brunswick dictated it to be 80 years ago– in elegant chandeliered hotel ballrooms amongst tuxedoed contestants with Bach playing in the background. I don’t think any players of today view that as normal, although it does add a positive allure to the game, but it’s a concept that became standard and evolved into tradition before any of today’s players were even born. Weird.

At any rate, your posts are equally interesting and amusing. I enjoy them for what they are as probably everyone else here does. And that’s a good thing. Diversity is always a good thing.

Ron F

sausage

Banned
it is not i who puts 14.1 players in a different league, it is they. when a 9baller jumps up on the table after win, that's, well, just his style.... if a 14.1er did the same, he'd be soundly dissed. personally, i don't care. pool is pool... with regard to doping; a beer or two can relax you and enhance performance. but let's look at the anti-doping, politically correct nonsense rules for a second; the politically correct crowd says that pot turns your brain to mush but still consider it doping if you are caught with it in your bloodstream even if you smoked a week prior to the event. many prescription drugs can increase your focus yet they are not seen as doping because it's legal poison. cigarettes are a drug and people smoke them to get high. THAT, according to the laws of political correctness is "DOPING". it's no coincidence that pool halls are filled with tobacco smoke.

i'm the one being consistent here. i think that pool is pool. if a 9baller can cause a ruckus sober than a 14.1er can do so drunk. my main point however is that drunken antics do nothing to diminish viewership of 14.1 matches. my other point is that if increasing viewership is a priority, -as it should be-... 14.1 has got to loosen up a bit. bubba sixpack ain't gunna watch a straight pool match the way the game is currently promoted and without bubba, the game ain't gaining in popularity. that's just the way it is.....

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
???

it is not i who puts 14.1 players in a different league, it is they.

I'm confused. Do you like straight pool? Do you play it at all? After searching your threads I noticed that you post in the 14.1 forum often, but you've been highly critical of straight pool this entire thread and in your latest post you state point blank that you're not a 14.1 player. If you're not a 14.1 player or fan why the interest in the forum? No disrespect, but are you only interested in this forum to make it controversial? I'm also still waiting for the names of the rooms you frequent that are dingy and smoke-filled, where cursing and sharking and gambling are the norm.

Ron F