The great player

mark8950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What ever happened to dick lane? One of the greatest 14-1 players in the 70's and 80's and 90's??????????????? Anyone know? Last i heard he sold click's billiards and quit playing?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What ever happened to dick lane? One of the greatest 14-1 players in the 70's and 80's and 90's??????????????? Anyone know? Last i heard he sold click's billiards and quit playing?

Smart man. He played pool mainly because he enjoyed it, I think. When pool stopped being fun, I think he moved on to greener pastures. It happens to folks. Pool is a tough racket. :frown:

I met Dick Lane several times and found him to be quite charming, and he was the epitome of a gentleman. His speed of play was calculated and quite slow. He was a difficult player for a rhythm or fast player to compete against. Make no mistake about it, though, Dick Lane had game and could keep up with the best of 'em. :)

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He got old happens to us all was a stone cold killer for many years owned the Texas open for about a decade

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's in Dallas

He owns part of a larg chain of pool halls called Clicks. I think there are still 8-10 of them open. He still plays great, just doesnt get around much.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He got old happens to us all was a stone cold killer for many years owned the Texas open for about a decade

I am just guessing but he may be in his early 60's. I remember him having some kind of condition where he shook when he played. It looked like he was not going to hit the cue balls at times as he clicked of a 100 ball run. I think to him the game was more a business and playing was pretty much a hobby. I doubt he saw the playing of the game as a pathway to much anything and put his focus elsewhere.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I remember him having some kind of condition where he shook when he played.

Did he have the same ailment as Nick Varner and Stevie Moore? All three of them have a condition where their right arm "shakes". That is till the stroke went forward. Then perfect! Strange how we tend to notice such things.

Only got to see Dick play once. In Philadelphia at a UPA event held at one of the hotels. Great player!

Lyn

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am just guessing but he may be in his early 60's. I remember him having some kind of condition where he shook when he played. It looked like he was not going to hit the cue balls at times as he clicked of a 100 ball run. I think to him the game was more a business and playing was pretty much a hobby. I doubt he saw the playing of the game as a pathway to much anything and put his focus elsewhere.

You're right. I had forgotten about that. I think it was the same condition that Michael Coltrain had with the arm shaking. I don't know what it is called.

jonesy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He came through Portland ME about 10 years ago. I watched a guy get into some straight pool action with him. The guy thought he was robbing Dick, He had no clue who he was. If I remember correctly Dick ran about a 100 on the poor guy.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I feel you're thinking of Bob Vanover..won the Texas 9-ball more than any-
one else.
Dick Lane's best game by far was straight pool...it's been said that he has
ran more hundreds than Mosconi. He had a GC at home and for a long time
he wouldn't leave the house till he ran a 100.
Bob Vanover said that no matter how bad he shakes on a shot, he always
plays the right one and usually makes it.

Dick must be middle 60's now.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
He came through Portland ME about 10 years ago. I watched a guy get into some straight pool action with him. The guy thought he was robbing Dick, He had no clue who he was. If I remember correctly Dick ran about a 100 on the poor guy.

Wouldn't be TJ would it?

Lyn

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I'm curious if anyone has more solid info on this little shake because I have it too. It gets worse when I'm nervous but it can come out in casual play too, when I'm shooting a shot I'm uncomfortable with or I'm positioned awkwardly.

To me it feels like one set of muscles wants to do a bad shooting habit I know I shouldn't do (like steer the ball) and another set of muscles wants to stroke straight and hit the ball correctly. Sometimes they fight with each other right up to the moment of impact, and the shakes are the result of this squabbling. But I could just be overthinking it.