The History of Cue Cases?

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The standard advice would be to use a suede brush and suede cleaner.

But I hacked it with stuff I already had on hand..

You can dampen with water. You can dampen with vinegar. There are other solvents obviously.

I used vinegar. I also didn't use an actual suede brush. I used vinegar and three brushes.

Brush 1, for the toughest matting was a brass bristle brush like this:

455-271-400x400.jpg

Brush 2, a slightly stiff plastic bristle fingernail brush like this:

wmr-w985_w_ml.jpg

Brush 3, a similar fingernail brush with softer bristles for the finish.

Finish brushing in one direction only to get the appearance as consistent as possible with the nap all laying in the same direction.

Mine had sever matting on the ends and very black stains along one side. All of it came out. You mentioned "dents". There were some actual small dents like where the case might have been banged up against the sharp edge of a counter or something. Even those came out completely. Case looks darn good IMHO.

I have not seen your case but I bet you can make it look great. The evidence is how severe my case was and how nice it came out.

Thanks, I have similar brushes on hand as I also do vintage felt hat repair. I'll give it a shot if it doesn't sell soon.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I have similar brushes on hand as I also do vintage felt hat repair. I'll give it a shot if it doesn't sell soon.

Oh, that's right. I did see the case.

Didn't even think of it.

That case looks in nice shape. You might even just try a dry brush first. A few minutes with a dry brush would probably go a long way on that case.

I am definitely keeping mine in a cloth sleeve. I got a few from JB, but now my wife makes them for my cases. I am not a suede fan but I do want to keep this one looking nice and I am not planning to sell.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, that's right. I did see the case.

Didn't even think of it.

That case looks in nice shape. You might even just try a dry brush first. A few minutes with a dry brush would probably go a long way on that case.

I am definitely keeping mine in a cloth sleeve. I got a few from JB, but now my wife makes them for my cases. I am not a suede fan but I do want to keep this one looking nice and I am not planning to sell.

I am not a suede fan either. The only reason I've kept this one as long as I have is that Centennials have extra length so it fits my 'pin-in-shaft' shafts.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I almost went for a couple of your cases, but I have money tied up in other deals at the moment.

The Gore case is a treasure.

I like the Centennial, but not a suede fan.

The Aussie case first caught my eye as we discussed, for the same reason you like it.

Somebody really should snag that Centennial.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=479996

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I almost went for a couple of your cases, but I have money tied up in other deals at the moment.

The Gore case is a treasure.

I like the Centennial, but not a suede fan.

The Aussie case first caught my eye as we discussed, for the same reason you like it.

Somebody really should snag that Centennial.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=479996

Someone mentioned earlier that Ann Gore cases will actually hold a 3rd shaft, while most of the other Fellini-type 1x2 cases will not. I will add that the Centennial will hold extra-long butts and shafts whereas my Fellinis, Anne Gore and George cases would not. If you look in the end-caps in these, quite a bit of room has been filled. I'm sure a little could be removed to fit longer cues - perhaps someone modified the Centennial?

s2kspider

Old thread, but here is another example of the “Schon” case with push button closure.

Attachments

• F028EB80-CA6C-4FD9-AAD8-CB38237E6A85.jpeg
    F028EB80-CA6C-4FD9-AAD8-CB38237E6A85.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 67
  • D877BDB9-81A2-4137-97CC-97B99842CD7C.jpeg
    D877BDB9-81A2-4137-97CC-97B99842CD7C.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 67
  • BAEFBD95-EC4C-4C65-A6E3-4800BF4E45D1.jpeg
    BAEFBD95-EC4C-4C65-A6E3-4800BF4E45D1.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 68
  • DCA48B2B-1F9E-41F8-A4E8-B0859BA743FD.jpeg
    DCA48B2B-1F9E-41F8-A4E8-B0859BA743FD.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 64
  • 40CEE39C-A8FB-417A-80BB-3576ADC24BE1.jpeg
    40CEE39C-A8FB-417A-80BB-3576ADC24BE1.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 65
  • 88134613-D3E6-44B6-957C-4EBC3518E10D.jpeg
    88134613-D3E6-44B6-957C-4EBC3518E10D.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 60

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did mention Centennial but only in reference to what most people know as the "Fellini" style.

Centennial did in fact make a major improvement over the Fellini as far as the function went and that is the O-ring. With the O-ring the case sealed better and the lid fit tighter.

To date the only maker who has copied the O-ring has been Sam Engles. I believe that he did a double O-ring. Not sure if it really helped any more though. And Ron Thomas does a sort of button that is not really intended to seal the case but does have similar functionality in keeping the cap secured.

Centennial also introduced the treated wood endcaps. I personally prefer the folded endcaps as Harvey Martin, Gina, Fellini and now GTF does them because it give the case sort of an endless feel to them.

I have to say though that capping the ends with wood, plastic or again now as GTF does them, with leather, offers quite a bit of flexibility in design to make complimentary or contrasting elements.

Also Centennial might have been the first to introduce the 2x4 cases. I can't find any information on this for a timeline but I have a feeling that they did introduce them before it's George. AND furthermore they were definitely one of the first if not the first to offer cases with a big pouch on them. (which I neglected to mention in my What's in the Case blog segment recently, www.jbcases.com/caseblog )

So the Centennial is definitely iconic and it's George and Ron Thomas can thank Centennial for the influence on their own products.
which case maker had the 2 birds facing each other?