The Hustler > The Color of Money > ???

Junction

Registered
We are due for another pool movie that will either trigger another rise in pool popularity, or be created in response to one of the rises in pool interest, which we seem to be in right now.

The current resurgence in pool has to be due to youtube and social media, maybe a boost from smartphone pool apps that spark curiosity. People see clips of Efren Reyes and start clicking and soon they're watching full matches of Van Boening and Earl Strickland, or trick shots on youtube and want to go do those things themselves.

The Hustler (1961) had a young Paul Newman, then he returned as an older Fast Eddie in The Color of Money (1986) where he mentored and sparred with a young Tom Cruise.

There was 25 years between the original 2 movies and it's been 38 years since the last one, so we are due.

Will we see the Balabushka make a return? Will we hear Vincent say "I'm back, baby!"

color-of-money-the-hustler-pat-spark.jpg

Junction

Registered
Don't forget to consider the era The Color of Money was made in. At that point in the 80's everything was fake, characters were thin, love songs were cringe. Think of the hairstyles and dayglow geometric shapes on clothing at the time. Once you get past that, it can gain a bit of charm.

Vincents behavior in the movie was supposed to be irritating, immature and naive. That was "the flake" that Fast Eddie talked about, it wasn't a compliment to Vincent, it was an insult. But it was something Eddie hoped to use. Unfortunately it didn't work out with them, which is a great part of the story.

As a teenager in 1986, The Color of Money got me into pool. I was riding busses to pool halls 20 miles away after seeing it, I even jumped a train to get to a pool hall one time (big mistake).

jameson71

There was poolhall junkies in 2002 with Chazz Palminteri and Christopher Walken, but without the budget and advertising of a big movie production company, most people will never have heard of it.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have enough trouble selling movies as it is. Selling a movie to sell pool? Toughie. That word only because I like pool. Now if they make a _good_ movie that is poolcentric, at least the investors have a chance. Pft even a couple authentic pool scenes in a mystery/drama/whodunnit/spy flick would have a better chance.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Any movie now should not be about pool halls unless its about one shutting down. The choice would have to be between bar boxes/bars/leagues or tournaments -- the latter being a real snooze fest a la the last part of TCOM. The sad thing is that if it was a nostalgic retrospective that sparked any interest, we would have a bunch of lost kids searching for an era long gone.

The truth is we are long overdue. Fifteen or twenty years ago, a good movie would have had something to save. If you think I am off base, all I can tell you is thank your lucky stars and pray your pool rooms don't go up in smoke.

Back when The Hustler came out, there were a kajillion old school pool rooms, and thousands of new rooms opened. It is amusing to think about all of the old timers hanging out as their sanctuaries were overrun by all of the duck-tailed/flattopped teenagers wading into the pudding. Oh what a time! I wish all y'all could have only been there. Those of you who were there will remember and know the full extent of what we all have lost.

Last edited:

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Had its moments but overall pretty cheezy. The lion scene in the bathroom is too funny imo.
True, but I loved Walken's response in the scene at the end when Joe tried to imply Uncle Mike was uncomfortable about risking $80k.

shooter_Hans

The romanticism with pool is gone forever.

The charm of the game is old school gentleman’s game mixed in with gambling.

Look at the wimpy and sissy men today. It’s not a competitive society outside of work. Gambling? There is so many ways to make a real quick dollar without the the discipline of learning to play pool. All these mentioned gave a certain aura about the game. Pool is professionalized and at the end of color of money, proved this. End of story.

If you want a pool movie it would have to involve a love interest and some unknown student playing his way to win the “world billiards championship” for today’s audience.

The allure of pool is gone. It is more of a regional thing now.

shooter_Hans

Much better having a Netflix series following and documenting the WNT similar In fashion to F1 Drive to Survive vs a movie. It could gain interest.
That show already sucks. So replacing it with some pool show would not be an upgrade.

Pool is a niche just like shuffle board.

As a matter of fact I know a guy that quit pool to play shuffle board and back. Lol

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The romanticism with pool is gone forever.

The charm of the game is old school gentleman’s game mixed in with gambling.

Look at the wimpy and sissy men today. It’s not a competitive society outside of work. Gambling? There is so many ways to make a real quick dollar without the the discipline of learning to play pool. All these mentioned gave a certain aura about the game. Pool is professionalized and at the end of color of money, proved this. End of story.

If you want a pool movie it would have to involve a love interest and some unknown student playing his way to win the “world billiards championship” for today’s audience.

The allure of pool is gone. It is more of a regional thing now.
Your constant need to bash younger men and women is precisely the uninviting personality pool doesn’t need.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That show already sucks. So replacing it with some pool show would not be an upgrade.

Pool is a niche just like shuffle board.

As a matter of fact I know a guy that quit pool to play shuffle board and back. Lol
Who said anything about better? Despite your personal opinion, F1 Drive to Survive is a successful series for Netflix.

It could be an interesting series with the right premise and production.