The Hustler / What age? Influence?

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think my 30s (2004ish) after playing for a couple years. Saw Color Of Money in the late 80s early 90s.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my travels took me to trueloves in oklahoma city

buddy was giving grady the 8 ball on one table

while norman hitchcock gave me the 5 and the break'
maybe the 5 though it was 40 years ago

I lost pronto and was afraid to try and adjust

i think hitchcock won at johnson city one year

my games didn't always end up with me winning the money

most of the time but oh so painful when i thought i had the nuts and didn't
Dean, what was Trueloves is now called Lucky's. Kind of a recreational pool spot now. Nothing like the days you got to sweat. At least its still a poolroom.

notnilc20

notnilc20
Silver Member
I didnt really take to the Hustler. In fact I fell asleep during the first time I watched it. But (I know I'm gonna offend a lot, if not most, here when I say this) I thoroughly enjoyed Pool Hall Junkies when it came out. It was quirky but entertaining...

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was not about pool. It was about the people we used to meet in pool halls but knew nothing about their personal live except for what they wanted us to know. Today it’s about league players who basically bore me. I miss players and venues.the 50’s and 60’s

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didnt really take to the Hustler. In fact I fell asleep during the first time I watched it. But (I know I'm gonna offend a lot, if not most, here when I say this) I thoroughly enjoyed Pool Hall Junkies when it came out. It was quirky but entertaining...

Pool Hall Junkies is a great movie and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. It and Baltimore Bullet are way more about pool than the two classics.

Can’t remember whenI first watched The Hustler but it was well after I was hooked on pool. So it had very little influence on my pool addiction. The Hustler (the movie) and I are the same age.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m watching COM for the 11,734th time as I type this. Lol

Hustler? I was in the pool room in full DEGEN mode long before I saw the movie. I’m self taught!!!!

The one and only,

Fatboy

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Influence

Growing up in the burbs of Chicago. EVERY town had a pool room or a bowling alley with a pool room. Mosconi/Fats were on TV. There was just so much exposure of the game in every way....and the collegiate 14.1 national event was special, look at the past champions from that era of straight pool. This demographic of the pocket billiards/social times after WWII was on it's last legs.......................computers were being borne'.

1969-70 Varner, 73-74 Dan Louie, 75 Jewett. Varner was taught by the depression era players (mosconi), never drank much and never did drugs.

Then I don't know the year, but 14.1 was no longer played in the Collegiate event.

Don't know who taught Dan Louie had to be someone, he could play....but his great strength was his great attitude.

Was around S. Ill. Janscos during those collegiate years, and got to see Varner hook up with Hubert Cokes, and Huebert could play some one pocket.
Nicky and I also, played at IU in 1969. in the bowling alley, on GC I's or II's, red cloth and NO lights over the tables, just the high ceiling fluorescent ones.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Growing up in the burbs of Chicago. EVERY town had a pool room or a bowling alley with a pool room. Mosconi/Fats were on TV. There was just so much exposure of the game in every way....and the collegiate 14.1 national event was special, look at the past champions from that era of straight pool. This demographic of the pocket billiards/social times after WWII was on it's last legs.......................computers were being borne'.

1969-70 Varner, 73-74 Dan Louie, 75 Jewett. Varner was taught by the depression era players (mosconi), never drank much and never did drugs.

Then I don't know the year, but 14.1 was no longer played in the Collegiate event.

Don't know who taught Dan Louie had to be someone, he could play....but his great strength was his great attitude.

Was around S. Ill. Janscos during those collegiate years, and got to see Varner hook up with Hubert Cokes, and Huebert could play some one pocket.
Nicky and I also, played at IU in 1969. in the bowling alley, on GC I's or II's, red cloth and NO lights over the tables, just the high ceiling fluorescent ones.

Great post!!!! Wow!!! Thx for sharing