Silver Member
Love pool but can't support the show it's totally fake and hard to watch
The title alone Is terrible
So many things that could do to inprove it but doubt it will get the chance

Good luck with it

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its never over...If u like the show or have an interest in more shows like this in the future now is a great time to show support.Even if u have seen the episode in the clip..click on the link, like it and leave a comment for Trutv to see..You as pool fans deserve another run.what better way to help then thru social media..Takes 60 seconds.

P.s. I saw how man likes it had so dont tell me u liked it when u didnt..

http://www.trutv.com/shows/the-hustlers/videos/a-civil-fight.html

Sorry u have to scroll down the Facebook to the clip..
https://m.facebook.com/truTV?refsrc=https://www.facebook.com/truTV

To be fair, there's no dislike button on FB so you can't tell how many saw it and hated it. :p

I liked the show FWIW. One of those likes was mine.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some pool players may be good actors and obviously, some actors may be good pool players.........BUT..,,,

THE HUSTLERS HAD NEITHER.........

The number of main characters needed to be expanded, get rid of Finnegan, show different pool playing venues and really focus on the actual matches.

The show became a showcase for bad acting, contrived scenes and shallow characters......it's was like watching something on woman's talk show like the View........."BORING".

Indeed, it was a noble attempt but they missed the mark badly. The show deserved cancellation. Now if they do it again with a different approach, it could succeed but not with the producer's current concept for the show.

2strong4u

Banned
Some pool players may be good actors and obviously, some actors may be good pool players.........BUT..,,,

The number of main characters needed to be expanded, get rid of Finnegan, show different pool playing venues and really focus on the actual matches.

The show became a showcase for bad acting, contrived scenes and shallow characters......it's was like watching something on woman's talk show like the View........."BORING".

Indeed, it was a noble attempt but they missed the mark badly. The show deserved cancellation. Now if they do it again with a different approach, it could succeed but not with the producer's current concept for the show.

They should just follow tournament action...maybe the Joss tour and the big events like SBE and Derby.

Hell I see arm wrestling on TV the other day...watched 2 hours worth. Those guys have character.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member

I feel you bro, we need the hard shit. When the hard shit gets left out cause it's not cute or funny bunny it makes everything else seem less authentic than it was. It's weird to me when people diss a lot of the good shit and then it makes sense when I see your post, it's cause you had nothing to compare it to. There was good shit on tape, it died in the cutting room.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Once again, everybody's missing the point. The target audience is NOT us...we'd only be happy with a gritty back room look at DCC action or an "Off the Rail" shot in real time with a Short Stop doing the road (completely unscripted) on his way to the U.S. Open. This was a cute show with a lot of preconceived woofing in a controlled environment. Everybody hated Amy, but she was essential to the demographic the makers were after. I see this as a good effort to get broader appeal and interest in pool on TV. Now maybe a "Life According to Earl" will sell on Spike TV.

I swear some folks can be given free ice cream and beer and find a way to complain about it being too cold...

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The target audience was 6 million viewers....get 5-6 million viewers in that time slot and you could show pigs farting on TV and it'd be a hit........surely we could have gotten at least 1/2 that number just with recreational pool players watching that show but it was so bad .......the producers of that show couldn't pull the market share needed and keep in mind there was pool players watching the show.....just not enuf.......and who could watch it with some of those 'contrived" characters.....it had potential but what doesn't nowadays? The producer tried to make it into a semi-reality type show but it was way too shallow and "horribly choreographed". Good idea....bad execution.....oh well, at least it was attempted.

Last edited:

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once again, everybody's missing the point. The target audience is NOT us...we'd only be happy with a gritty back room look at DCC action or an "Off the Rail" shot in real time with a Short Stop doing the road (completely unscripted) on his way to the U.S. Open. This was a cute show with a lot of preconceived woofing in a controlled environment. Everybody hated Amy, but she was essential to the demographic the makers were after. I see this as a good effort to get broader appeal and interest in pool on TV. Now maybe a "Life According to Earl" will sell on Spike TV.

I swear some folks can be given free ice cream and beer and find a way to complain about it being too cold...

Exactly!!:thumbup:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member

I hear and understand your disappointment West Point, and I think that we all wanted to see a successful show created that would thrust pool into the mainstream. But, seriously, why would anyone, especially a non pool playing person, watch a poor quality, cheaply produced show about pool, especially one with a cheesy plot, dislikeable and forgettable characters, no storyline, a script comprised of nothing more than yelling, slang, and cussing, acting that barely reaches the "mugging" level, un-notable cinematography, and absolutely no "hook" whatsoever? Unfortunately, the show fell way too far from the mark to accomplish anything more than give a short termed "gig" to a few of our friends.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
They should just follow tournament action...maybe the Joss tour and the big events like SBE and Derby.

Hell I see arm wrestling on TV the other day...watched 2 hours worth. Those guys have character.

I liked the arm wrestling I won't even lie. I liked how classy they were win or lose. Lot of trash talk but after they got it on, it was all respect.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
I liked the arm wrestling I won't even lie. I liked how classy they were win or lose. Lot of trash talk but after they got it on, it was all respect.

LOL my high school Chemistry teacher was on the New York team, Mike Selearis.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
LOL my high school Chemistry teacher was on the New York team, Mike Selearis.

That shit went hard and the guys had good back stories that they showed. They're onto something with that. As for the show, people just want the hard shit and not the corny shit. I agree with that.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear and understand your disappointment West Point, and I think that we all wanted to see a successful show created that would thrust pool into the mainstream. But, seriously, why would anyone, especially a non pool playing person, watch a poor quality, cheaply produced show about pool, especially one with a cheesy plot, dislikeable and forgettable characters, no storyline, a script comprised of nothing more than yelling, slang, and cussing, acting that barely reaches the "mugging" level, un-notable cinematography, and absolutely no "hook" whatsoever? Unfortunately, the show fell way too far from the mark to accomplish anything more than give a short termed "gig" to a few of our friends.

It just doesn't pass the eye test ,, Pool simply isn't entertaing to watch for 999.99 % pect of the viewing public ,, and when I hear stories of kids watching the show than running to the basement to play pool I have to wonder if those kids have been locked in a closet ,,
The only chance I can see if it being entertaining is pool in the pit with Scotter Spanky and the gang because it's them that give the entertainment not the pool it's self

Put_upor_shutup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have been locked in a room watching the best players in the country betting anywhere from 50 dollars to 40k a game for the last two weeks and again i have just as much fun watching this tv show....ok im out now..continue with ur hating..

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
i have been locked in a room watching the best players in the country betting anywhere from 50 dollars to 40k a game for the last two weeks and again i have just as much fun watching this tv show....ok im out now..continue with ur hating..

Sorry, but having different tastes and opinions is not hating, not even close.

Put_upor_shutup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, but having different tastes and opinions is not hating, not even close.

This is true..

However..If u do not like McDonalds food and u r driving by one do u stop, walk in and tell them u think the food sucks then drive off?No u probably dont.

If u are in the mall and u happen to hear a kid say "These gummy bears are awesome"..Do u say hey kid those gummy bears are shit..ha ha i bet u dont..

So if a person starts a topic in regards to ppl that like a certain thing nd ask for support for it if it appeals to u..What is the point in stopping in and telling them it sucks to u?

life is short..use that energy on something u enjoy..later

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
This is true..

However..If u do not like McDonalds food and u r driving by one do u stop, walk in and tell them u think the food sucks then drive off?No u probably dont.

If u are in the mall and u happen to hear a kid say "These gummy bears are awesome"..Do u say hey kid those gummy bears are shit..ha ha i bet u dont..

So if a person starts a topic in regards to ppl that like a certain thing nd ask for support for it if it appeals to u..What is the point in stopping in and telling them it sucks to u?

This is a forum for discussion, so people discuss. This isn't McDonalds or a mall. You need to get out more, and not just to McDonalds and the mall. Sorry to break this to you :lol:

Dave

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
This is true..

life is short..use that energy on something u enjoy..later

Not to beat this to death, but, of course I wouldn't do any of the things you mention, it would be a rude and pointless waste of my time.

Now, if I was a member of a public, junk food, forum, and the topics came up, well, I just might. :)

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ya so your one of the 000.001 % of the population that find pool entertaining ,, that doesn't mean the other 999.999 % hate pool they just have things to do or watch they find more interesting