The hustling game got weak...

Playa7

Registered
Some guy the other day practiced out of a notebook and checked things off in his notebook when he made or missed a shot... then he asked me if a wanted to play for $20.

Playa7

Registered
Its either the notebook guy on the 9 footers or its throwing hands on the bar box over which quarter is yours.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some guy the other day practiced out of a notebook and checked things off in his notebook when he made or missed a shot... then he asked me if a wanted to play for $20.

Any guy that does that should be wearing a large "V" on his shirt, for victim.

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seen Jack Cooney do that in the 80s and trust me he was no victim he had maybe the best win % of anyone in the last 50 years

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
OR. . .this is the slickest hustler you've ever met. . . "and I've only been playing a few weeks ".
Does this mean if I buy a 99¢ notebook I can get all there action I want, plus a spot, and some weight?

Last edited:

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member

So, how much did you lose?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
You never know,maybe the guy was just an astute learner,even if he was fairly new to the game.

I had close to 6000 pages of notes and shot diagrams before a 1998 house fire. Some of those were just things I wrote down,some were single shot diagrams,but most had 2 or more shots drawn out. Tommy D.

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
He apparently just marked u as a degenerate gambler and figured u wouldn't play for funsys. Lol Jk

No but seriously hustling is a lot of work. And I learned back in the day that playing down ur speed is not always the best way to get action. You might get them once but ppl are always weary of being hustled.

I like to go with the "I'm the best you ever seen" route. You're more likely to get long term action that way. Every pool hall has pride and are always looking to put a guy in his place. Starting a grudge is a sure way to get return business.

I practice full speed all the time and I'm surprised how many ppl wanna play me. Last week I played on a bar box and I popped off a five pack. Next thing you know this guy asked me to play 20 a game. He quit after 3 games but hey he's a regular at his bar and wanted to prove something. Thanks for the quick 60

allanpsand

Author & PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
When practicing while waiting for a volunteer victim, I concentrate on low-percentage shots and banks, along with the occasional precision CB positioning attempts.

I don't have to show off table run-out competence, while still getting the value of practicing.