Tournament Green or Tournament Blue?

• Blue is the best

• Green is the best

• I am insane and I prefer red or black cloth

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forgot it was a Centennial, because I remember you saying you didn't want the polished mirror look.
If they showed any signs of wear or scratches I’d mirror them up.

But since they are “new” seem like the wrong idea to start modding a very rare table-rare in the sense it’s new old stock. Not a well worn 65 year old box

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
If they showed any signs of wear or scratches I’d mirror them up.

But since they are “new” seem like the wrong idea to start modding a very rare table-rare in the sense it’s new old stock. Not a well worn 65 year old box
I would love to have that table, its about the only thing that I would give up my modified GCI for. When are you going to start that adoption paperwork, dad?? :) :)

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I vote green on that table!

I guess it comes down to what color cloth is used at any tournaments you might play in. Mostly green in my area. It takes me a little while to adjust to the visual effects of blue after being used to green. Tournament Blue certainly wont hurt that table, but I think it deserves green.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Blue. It goes with most chalk. Why a lot of cloth was green, and most chalk was blue is one of the most mind-bending dichotomies of pool ever.

But, it is an obscure sport.
It’s strange, but I come from snooker where the cloth almost always green and green chalk makes a table look messy. Blue chalk melds with the cloth much better...no idea why

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blue. It goes with most chalk. Why a lot of cloth was green, and most chalk was blue is one of the most mind-bending dichotomies of pool ever.

But, it is an obscure sport.
Which raises yet another dichotomies in our sport.

Why are cue dimensions in imperial and metric. The shaft length is inches and diameter at the ferral is in mm. The joint is imperial. It’s all over the place with no organized fashion. The height of the sidewalk of a tip is in inches as is the ferrel and the diameter is mm. Joint is .840” butt is 1.25”. Why is that?

Fatboy😁

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I can give you the answer to that.

For the shaft at the ferrule, most people do not use a micrometer, and they would not remember that .512 is 13 millimeters, .492 is 12.5 millimeters, etc. So people accept that millimeters is more handy for the shaft, at least at the ferrule. And for sales purposes, people like 13 millimeters. They forget how many thousandths it is, and they really don't know in the first place.

The rest of the cue, it's inches, or derivatives of an inch. 58 inch cue, etc. And to be honest, most people don't know that the joint is usually .840 to .845, and the butt is somewhere from 1.25 to 1.30, or even a bit larger for an older cue.

The millimeter is really only significant on the ferrule, because it's easier for most people to remember.

All the best,
WW

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It’s strange, but I come from snooker where the cloth almost always green and green chalk makes a table look messy. Blue chalk melds with the cloth much better...no idea why
It is interesting, but my experience is the opposite. Green stays cleaner on green cloth, and blue shows up more, especially with some of the messy chalks used today, Kamui, and Blue Diamond, for example.

Now, here's something. Back in the days of the Brunsco, Stevens, or Mali worsted wool cloth, it started out green, and under the lights, would turn into a shade of blue. So then, the blue made sense, didn't show up as much. Simonis, on the other hand, does not turn from green to blue.

Mileage varies on a question like this.

All the best,
WW

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can give you the answer to that.

For the shaft at the ferrule, most people do not use a micrometer, and they would not remember that .512 is 13 millimeters, .492 is 12.5 millimeters, etc. So people accept that millimeters is more handy for the shaft, at least at the ferrule. And for sales purposes, people like 13 millimeters. They forget how many thousandths it is, and they really don't know in the first place.

The rest of the cue, it's inches, or derivatives of an inch. 58 inch cue, etc. And to be honest, most people don't know that the joint is usually .840 to .845, and the butt is somewhere from 1.25 to 1.30, or even a bit larger for an older cue.

The millimeter is really only significant on the ferrule, because it's easier for most people to remember.

All the best,
WW
I prefer metric for everything. Superior system.

thx for the answer, I always wondered.

Best
Fatboy

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
wth you bangers hitting balls on a nice table it wants off colored chalk, and after being punished it feels blue.

Nyquil

It is interesting, but my experience is the opposite. Green stays cleaner on green cloth, and blue shows up more, especially with some of the messy chalks used today, Kamui, and Blue Diamond, for example.

Now, here's something. Back in the days of the Brunsco, Stevens, or Mali worsted wool cloth, it started out green, and under the lights, would turn into a shade of blue. So then, the blue made sense, didn't show up as much. Simonis, on the other hand, does not turn from green to blue.

All the best,
WW
Sky blue masters and tournament blue 860hr is about as perfect of a match as you can ask for. I can't see the chalk on the cloth it's such a good match.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Which raises yet another dichotomies in our sport.

Why are cue dimensions in imperial and metric. The shaft length is inches and diameter at the ferral is in mm. The joint is imperial. It’s all over the place with no organized fashion. The height of the sidewalk of a tip is in inches as is the ferrel and the diameter is mm. Joint is .840” butt is 1.25”. Why is that?

Fatboy😁
My theory on why I know the weight of my cue in ounces. The length of my cue in inches. And the width of my ferrule in millimeters.
Mingaud, the man who invented the leather tip, was French...the French tip was state of the art even in the 1970s.
Mingaud dealt in metric.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I fi

All the best,
WW
I find this interesting...green, after all, is a yellow/blue mixture...so as the cloth ages, the yellow fades quicker?
...you know how cue balls tend to become yellow from lack of use....I had an unused set of snooker balls...but they were 15 years old, still in the box...cue ball was very yellow, and the blue ball was green.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I fi

I find this interesting...green, after all, is a yellow/blue mixture...so as the cloth ages, the yellow fades quicker?
...you know how cue balls tend to become yellow from lack of use....I had an unused set of snooker balls...but they were 15 years old, still in the box...cue ball was very yellow, and the blue ball was green.
It is interesting. I'm going to guess that the higher amount of wool, the more the cloth has a tendency to turn from green to blue over time. Yes, probably the yellow fades quicker. I've seen it in all the old pool rooms. Simonis, I'm pretty sure, has a high nylon content compared to the older cloth, and it does not change color.

Your blue ball, turning to green, that's a good one. Something in the plastic...

All the best,
WW