The King [of the Crucible] is Back!!

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Stephen Hendry has accepted an invitational tour card to compete in events for the next 2 seasons.

https://www.eurosport.com/snooker/s...or-minimum-two-seasons_sto7861046/story.shtml

It'll be interesting to see which events he chooses to play. I wonder how much of an effect seeing Ronnie win the World Championship had on him coming out of retirement.

I don't know if it was Ronnie's win, or his comments about low level of play in his competitors that got Stephen off the couch.

In an interview Ronnie actually stated, "I'd have to lose an arm or a leg to drop out of the top 50" and that, "...most aren't even good amateurs" regarding that majority of the current Snooker competition.

Either way, I'm happy to see Stephen competing again. I follow him on Instagram; he's a class act.

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Loved watching him play when he had fire and confidence. Lots of years at the end of his career when he had neither. But perhaps his personal life is happier now, and no doubt he could use a few pennies. Here's hoping he can bring the best of what remains at age 51.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Loved watching him play when he had fire and confidence. Lots of years at the end of his career when he had neither. But perhaps his personal life is happier now, and no doubt he could use a few pennies. Here's hoping he can bring the best of what remains at age 51.

interesting interview on the snooker scene podcast today. he is returning because he wants the buzz of competition and feels his play has improved with sightright.

money wise i don't think he should get his hopes up too high. i think he is pretty well off anyway, despite the "divorce fee"..he is a scot after all

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stephen Hendry and the Yips

I consider Hendry the greatest snooker tournament player of all time. Unfortunately, despite currently having more World Championships at the Crucible than anyone, his career was cut short due to developing the yips. As many of you know, I have the same affliction which cut my tournament and overall competition play to nearly zero. So, not to say he and I are on the same playing field or anything, but watching him come back into tournaments and maybe some of the same tournament form has special meaning to me.

And now for a Buzz Magazine advertisement and shameless plug:

You can read all about my affliction in February's issue of AZBilliard's Buzz Magazine.

https://issuu.com/azbilliards/docs/february_2020_buzz/s/10179205

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker players aren’t exactly rich.

A big part of this is money. First prize at the Saudi tournament is a half million British pounds. The sponsors will want Jimmy White, Hendry, etc there. Likely Reanne Evans.

Higgins, and Williams would have likely left the tour by now but the money and sponsorships are too alluring.

We overlook how appealing the prize money is. A fellow like Gary Wilson, a taxi driver, can make a year’s salary reaching the semis of a tournament.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
My introduction to Hendry came under most unusual circumstances. In what I believe was 1988, I was on vacation in England during the World Snooker Championships, but I got the flu and suddenly found myself confined to the great indoors for several days.

Turned out that the BBC was televising about six hours a day of the play from The Crucible and I watched almost all of it.

Steve Davis was still the man on top, but a late teen named Steven Hendry was making it clear that he had already reached the top tier of the game and that he was a superstar on the horizon.

I saw a lot of Hendy’s play that week. Not every up and comer goes on to great things, but this one certainly did.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker players aren’t exactly rich.

A big part of this is money. First prize at the Saudi tournament is a half million British pounds. The sponsors will want Jimmy White, Hendry, etc there. Likely Reanne Evans.

Higgins, and Williams would have likely left the tour by now but the money and sponsorships are too alluring.

We overlook how appealing the prize money is. A fellow like Gary Wilson, a taxi driver, can make a year’s salary reaching the semis of a tournament.

GW is way too good to be driving a taxi:eek:

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hendry was doing work for snooker
as an ambassador in china, but i don’t
know who he was working for or what he was doing-

he played in some chinese 8 ball exhibitions
but i don’t think he competes in tournaments again.

he is excellent in the commentary box,
even when ronnie is breaking his records,
very professional.

i hope he can prove me wrong!

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hendry was doing work for snooker
as an ambassador in china, but i don’t
know who he was working for or what he was doing-

he played in some chinese 8 ball exhibitions
but i don’t think he competes in tournaments again.

he is excellent in the commentary box,
even when ronnie is breaking his records,
very professional.

i hope he can prove me wrong!

I always enjoy his commentary. He has an uncanny ability to see the whole table. He once said that he never makes a shot wihout knowing, if he executes it right, where every ball on the table will end up.

Hendry has a Signature line of tables and is a spokesman for ‘Joy’ billiards. Along with Selby and Garreth Potts He does a lot of public appearances in China.