The latest project....

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was tasked with a SS joint conversion, I thought I had a fairly decent plan of attack...after my second try, I feel I did "ok". It's off to clear coat now and I will post some pics once its finished. As for "normal" cues, things are progressing quite well...so well, I'm hoping to buy another lathe soon!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372171720.643336.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372171736.393366.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372171757.742724.jpg

Thanks to everyone on the board as well as the past and present AZB posts....helpful beyond imagination!

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
Is that a SS joint ON TOP of a (white) phenolic joint ?? The SS looks smaller in dia. or is that just the picture ??

Looks cool. Glad to hear business is going so well so early on.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would advise sanding that joint a little smoother before clear coating in case you lose a thousandth or so of the diameter. Also sand your cue down a little smaller than the stainless joint to allow the finish to build up to the joint.
Then sand and buff the finish and joint at the same time.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also sand your cue down a little smaller than the stainless joint to allow the finish to build up to the joint.

This is important or you will probably accidentally burn through your finish wet sanding to get it flush with the ss joint. Don't over do it though or you'll have to put a lot of clear on it to build it up to flush. It doesn't take much of a lip at all.

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
I dont think that is an optical illusion....it looks like when you were sanding the SS it eat the wood behind the joint. Pain in the a$$ to sand it without eating up the wood behind the joint.

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for replies and the suggestions, I'll answer a few questions:

The SS joint is bigger than the collar. Meaning its the finished diameter to match the shaft. Angle of pic is misleading.

Also, there are a few thousands for the clear coat. Thanks Bryan Mordt for the help prior to my taking on this project!

I will finish up polishing the joint after it's cleared. The pic isn't the best.

No SS will be cleared.

The pics aren't the best and there is still some sticky left on the joint from the tape I used for protecting it.

I'm going to have my friend, who does my clear, help me with evening it all out.

Anymore thoughts or ideas, I'm all ears!