The new Aramith tournament balls

Banikane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So much for market research before putting out a crap product. Apparently not one professional pool player was asked. 4,5 balls need to go back to original colors, a large % of men are color blind and there is a reason the colors were originally decided on!

If they wanted the white to be black on stripes, shouldn't the little circle & number be reversed? White numbers in a balck circle might actually look nice & go better in this series. Maybe not even a hard white, maybe a soft cream and a thin line of it on the stripe balls to give it an edge for aiming. The nine did look nice on the stream.

Just a few thoughts from a pool player-Aramith apparently didn't do that, research or market analysis, sad. The Centennials are the best and I was looking forward to Aramith taking the crown, nope they took a dump instead!!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So much for market research before putting out a crap product. Apparently not one professional pool player was asked. 4,5 balls need to go back to original colors, a large % of men are color blind and there is a reason the colors were originally decided on!

If they wanted the white to be black on stripes, shouldn't the little circle & number be reversed? White numbers in a balck circle might actually look nice & go better in this series. Maybe not even a hard white, maybe a soft cream and a thin line of it on the stripe balls to give it an edge for aiming. The nine did look nice on the stream.

Just a few thoughts from a pool player-Aramith apparently didn't do that, research or market analysis, sad. The Centennials are the best and I was looking forward to Aramith taking the crown, nope they took a dump instead!!!
Not just them but Matchroom as well. Its a team turd.

Banikane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope Matchroom comes out and states they are going to listen to the players, fans, and generally anyone with a brain and will make common sense changes to this set!

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really?? I had a couple of friends in the arena and they said no one ever got used to them. Said from the stands you could barely make them out. On the stream they looked horrible. The only place we'll see these are on MR events if we're lucky.

Man - you guys are a tough, tough crowd here on AZB

We get it - the friends in the arena aren’t fast learners.

Tell me - seriously - just how long does it take an educated, well-seasoned pool playing fan to see a NEW ball set and be told the changes - and then watch for hours how the pros play those NEW balls - and still have problems discerning what is what?

Lemme see.......Only nine balls with color. The 1, 2, 3 and 8 are simple, right? No one can mistake the bright striped bumble bee 9 ball. They probably love that one. The green 6 is a bit lighter - and that brown 7 pretty easy. Which leaves the tough ones everyone is having fits with: the 4 and 5........In a relatively slow game of 9 ball...with a lot of time to see what is left on the table once the simpleton 1, 2 and 3 balls are gone.

Yeah - you guys are a tough crowd

~ K2

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tell me - seriously - just how long does it take an educated, well-seasoned pool playing fan to see a NEW ball set and be told the changes - and then watch for hours how the pros play those NEW balls - and still have problems discerning what is what?

Lemme see.......Only nine balls with color. The 1, 2, 3 and 8 are simple, right? No one can mistake the bright striped bumble bee 9 ball. They probably love that one. The green 6 is a bit lighter - and that brown 7 pretty easy. Which leaves the tough ones everyone is having fits with: the 4 and 5........In a relatively slow game of 9 ball...with a lot of time to see what is left on the table once the simpleton 1, 2 and 3 balls are gone.

~ K2
You work for MR or Aramith? Seriously , no one likes these balls. MR just wanted their own balls and they're a huge flop so far. I don't see any poolrooms buying them and very few home-table folks will either. The classic Centennial-style colors are FAR better. IMO Predator went the correct route. They went with stay-clean Cyclop formulation and classic colors/stripes. The MC is about the only Matchroom event i watch so i'll only see these turds once-a-year thankfully.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two quick observations regarding the new Aramith Black edition balls that were unveiled at the Mosconi Cup:

1) I noticed that every pro player adapted very quickly to the ball changes with zero complaints - the balls do still have numbers.

2) I asked numerous people for their opinion on the balls over the entire MC this past 4 days and not one person said anything negative about them. Not once. - Nearly everyone at some point actually said how amazing the balls looked! Especially on the close-in camera shots.

These folks were either infrequent players to regular players.

Just goes to show that first impressions are really based on existing impressions and in the end, if YOU can’t play as well with one ball set over another, then that’s most likely telling you something

A caveat: Being an avid ball collector for all cue sports worldwide, I have literally played with 300+ different ball sets with 300+ different designs - and after a few racks with every one (no matter how they look or play) I can attest to adapting within minutes as if that current set is the only one in existence.

Plus - my granddaughter said the Aramith Blacks were beautiful So there.

- one man’s opinion

~ K2
For obvious reasons, you are not likely to hear any of the current MC cup players saying anything negative about these new MC / Matchroom ball sets, if they have any designs on being allowed back for future Mosconi Cups!

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching a lot of the Mosconi on a flat screen I thought the 9 was quite cool looking. My only issue was that I had some trouble distinguishing between the 2 and 5, otherwise was fine.

I'd be interested in seeing what a full set looks like in some 8 ball games.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

~ K2

Yeah, some of us make up a tough crowd....but so are you.

I can understand your enthusiasm as a collector....I read your favorite thread, and enjoy it.
But these balls are a player’s problem, not a collector’s.

There are some great collectible chess sets...I own a couple...but I used to be a serious
chess player...and I would only gamble with Staunton pieces...you have to see the entire
board at a glance....can’t have your mind busy with identifying pieces,

The same goes for pool players....after you break at any rotation game, you identify the
trouble spots immediately....3-7 is a problem....8-ball’s a guard dog....taking time to identify
which balls are which interferes with that process.

We have a color code that has worked for a long time...I can understand changes because
of new technology....but those changes could be made without breaking the color code.
....the purple of the 5-ball in this new set would’ve been fine as a 4-ball instead of the TV
pink....they could even make the 8-ball a dark grey...it wouldn’t bother me...it’s not breaking
the color code.

A player’s point of view doesn’t have to disagree with a collector’s.

I’ll stop now....and “stop” is usually recognized as a red sign....the world wouldn’t be much
fun if some nut decided to change that code.

YoungAtHeart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO the problem with Matchroom is firstly they don't take criticism well. Secondly they seem to surround themselves with 'yes' men.
And thirdly, with pool being a small sport,and Matchroom are a big player and having power, no one wants to jeopardize an invite or a contact.
Surely Aramith knew the balls were wrong. But they didn't want to come out and say anything to Matchroom.

I know it's not going to happen, But wouldn't it be refreshing if Matchroom made a statement saying "We tried something new. On this occasion it didn't work, but we will continue to try and innovate and improve.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO the problem with Matchroom is firstly they don't take criticism well. Secondly they seem to surround themselves with 'yes' men.
And thirdly, with pool being a small sport,and Matchroom are a big player and having power, no one wants to jeopardize an invite or a contact.
Surely Aramith knew the balls were wrong. But they didn't want to come out and say anything to Matchroom.

I know it's not going to happen, But won't it be refreshing if Matchroom made a statement saying "We tried something new. On this occasion it didn't work, but we will continue to try and innovate and improve.

Rub a lamp

d8nk

Noah B
Confusing...

I found the color change to be confusing. Making the 5 purple was goofy but it just flat out did not improve the ability to tell the balls apart. The 2 and 5 were very similar. the 3 three stood out but not drastically, you have to look hard. I do like the 9, but I do not like the idea of playing 8-ball with the rest of the stripes.

I think we are all under the same understanding it is a way to sell a new product and Cyclops was digging into Aramith's pockets. Matchroom made a marketing deal and said, "yup we will rep your new set"

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member

~ K2
Absolutely horrible on the arena screens.
Which most people have to look to because of the tight seating.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found the color change to be confusing. Making the 5 purple was goofy but it just flat out did not improve the ability to tell the balls apart. The 2 and 5 were very similar. the 3 three stood out but not drastically, you have to look hard. I do like the 9, but I do not like the idea of playing 8-ball with the rest of the stripes.

I think we are all under the same understanding it is a way to sell a new product and Cyclops was digging into Aramith's pockets. Matchroom made a marketing deal and said, "yup we will rep your new set"
Matchroom helped design them. EF and co. had to have a set unique to Matchroom. Well, they got it. I just hope only they use them.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, some of us make up a tough crowd....but so are you.

I can understand your enthusiasm as a collector....I read your favorite thread, and enjoy it.

But these balls are a player’s problem, not a collector’s.

There are some great collectible chess sets...I own a couple...but I used to be a serious

chess player...and I would only gamble with Staunton pieces...you have to see the entire

board at a glance....can’t have your mind busy with identifying pieces,

The same goes for pool players....after you break at any rotation game, you identify the

trouble spots immediately....3-7 is a problem....8-ball’s a guard dog....taking time to identify

which balls are which interferes with that process.

We have a color code that has worked for a long time...I can understand changes because

of new technology....but those changes could be made without breaking the color code.

....the purple of the 5-ball in this new set would’ve been fine as a 4-ball instead of the TV

pink....they could even make the 8-ball a dark grey...it wouldn’t bother me...it’s not breaking

the color code.

A player’s point of view doesn’t have to disagree with a collector’s.

I’ll stop now....and “stop” is usually recognized as a red sign....the world wouldn’t be much

fun if some nut decided to change that code.

Hehe. I hear ya pt - and certainly appreciate your kind ball collector thread comments.

Just to clarify, however, in this thread about the new Blacks, I was speaking purely from a player’s point of view (like you are) when it comes to the balls and all issues folks have with them. To me, it’s purely superficial. I’ve been a “player” for 40 years longer than I’ve been a collector, sir. I just happen to think my perspective on balls - from initial critique to actually playability.....with over 300+ unique and quirky sets played regularly - would prove *my points* and just how tough of a crowd we have here. Matters not to me what the balls look like - they’re still going into pockets at a better clip than what most can do

I don’t disagree with you or anyone on the “code” you refer to - even I love the brilliance of a bold and bright orange 5 ball....but to say that (just) because intelligent pool playing men are focusing on the colors of balls and not the entire game itself - and use the neato color code as the reason for sticking to same-old....is pure folly. Forum fodder.

Made me chuckle at your closing comment about some nutsack (emphasis mine ;-) making this a tad more fun by changing things up

One man’s folly is another man’s wife

Cheers, pt

~ K2.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for garczar, ChrisinNC, 9andout...

All valid points, gents. I can appreciate your criticisms all around.

I wish I did work for Aramith and MR - because I know without a doubt that I could have come up with a great “new” design worthy of the Mosconi Cup and at the same time had fans running out the door with at least one new box of balls under each arm - at the clip of about $500/per.

Until I get that invite, I’ll have a few of the new Black sets on hand for friends of mine that come over to play some amazing new games - and just maybe want a set for their own. It’s Christmas every day at my house.

~ K2.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for garczar, ChrisinNC, 9andout...

All valid points, gents. I can appreciate your criticisms all around.

I wish I did work for Aramith and MR - because I know without a doubt that I could have come up with a great “new” design worthy of the Mosconi Cup and at the same time had fans running out the door with at least one new box of balls under each arm - at the clip of about $500/per.

Until I get that invite, I’ll have a few of the new Black sets on hand for friends of mine that come over to play some amazing new games - and just maybe want a set for their own. It’s Christmas every day at my house.

~ K2.
You're gonna spend $300+/set to play "amazing new games"? Going to give sets away? Wow.

Last edited:

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MR and Aramith no doubt expected that by premiering the new balls during the Mosconi Cup they would get some favorable publicity for their new product. But I think it backfired. The majority opinion seems to be that the balls are ugly and look terrible on a video stream. Billiards fail.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're gonna spend $300+/set to play "amazing new games"? Going to give sets away? Wow.

Yep. You’ve inspired me to be a tad more gracious, czar. Not only that, but it looks like no one else will buy them - and my pal that owns the supply store here in Fort Worth has 4 boxes coming in

Never discount what “amazing new games” can do for a guy that only loves one ancient design

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Throwing this out there again from the USA vs. CSI challenge...

228347edecb4b61d324986ba5008a956.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro