The new Aramith tournament balls

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My guess, this was Emily Frazer's idea.

It would have made it more interesting if they would have suprised players with the balls so it would have caused confusion during the tournment. Most tournaments I've played in normaly have a last minute rule change. But Matchroom probably gave both teams a few sets of balls weeks ago.

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
I have a feeling they will be sought after collector balls (hopefully due to very limited production) after they realize what hugely stupid idea these colors were.

Change for the sake of change...

Sitting in the M/C arena watching, the balls on the table look so different from what's on the big screens it makes you spend way too much time thinking about what ball they are playing shape for, that you often miss the actual action.

Ridiculous... At least the Cyclops balls are so different from tradition it's almost cool. But the change in the 4 and 5 is mind numbingly stupid.

I would NEVER buy them for my home table. Let's hope Aramith takes proper note of the criticism and has the balls (pun intended) to admit the screw-up...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If you’re going to mess with color coding...at least don’t switch one color for another....
...can you imagine if these people responsible for the purple 5-ball branched out into
other areas?

7778CD8B-C72F-465E-BF90-D9F92C82FF5D.jpeg

EAB7A14A-97F6-42CE-8778-F2A0BEB01C4D.jpeg

5FA68A9C-B0BF-448A-815B-9C93D7424862.jpeg

I’m guessing the resulting mayhem and deaths would convince them that frivolous change
is not always a good thing.

I will assume it was a group of people who made the 4 to 5-ball switch....
...reminds me of an Israeli proverb.............
...A horse is a camel....put together by a committee.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My guess, this was Emily Frazer's idea.

It would have made it more interesting if they would have suprised players with the balls so it would have caused confusion during the tournment. Most tournaments I've played in normaly have a last minute rule change. But Matchroom probably gave both teams a few sets of balls weeks ago.

Keeping the 4 pink seemed forced. The pink was the light purple in the TV set, and Aramith released a statement that they couldn’t just put the light purple in at 4 ball for the pink because years of tournaments with TV sets have made people used to a pink 4? What was that? Used to a pink 4 so change the classic impossible to mistake orange 5 ball?

I’m guessing in today’s world, eliminating a pink ball might have been deemed too masculine a move, so the pink stays and the orange goes purple. (I’m still going with theory #1 that British elites hate the color orange...https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Order)

Aramith’s color explanation was a bit too much for me.

Let’s just be honest....matchroom came with a demand, without consulting anyone or any professional players . They kept the design top secret (per ms. Frazier commentary in Russia last month) up until a week ago and then came with the statement “any player who doesn’t like them will either adapt or get left in the past because all matchroom events will use these going forward”(per ms. Frazier on commentary at CSI vs USA)

Last edited:

TomInFaribo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sent Matchroom my feelings on these. Absolutely the WORST looking set of pool balls EVER. Makes those funky Skittle balls look good and i thought that was impossible. Do they really think anyone will buy these? On the stream they look even worse. Whatta joke.

Please Post link you sent your complaint to.

Everyone needs to complain to MR that these balls are not TV Viewer Compatible. Too much confusion when you switch colors.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost enough to make me stop watching. Yes, that bad.

It was enough to make me not buy the stream.

As long as they "force" BS down the throats of the players, I will not support it with my cash.

They shouldn't f××× with something that's not broke.

Jeff

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 2, 3, 6 and 8 balls are acceptable but the rest should be discarded and
done over sans any black substituting for white. The design is fairly repulsive.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a feeling they will be sought after collector balls (hopefully due to very limited production) after they realize what hugely stupid idea these colors were.

Change for the sake of change...

Sitting in the M/C arena watching, the balls on the table look so different from what's on the big screens it makes you spend way too much time thinking about what ball they are playing shape for, that you often miss the actual action.

Ridiculous... At least the Cyclops balls are so different from tradition it's almost cool. But the change in the 4 and 5 is mind numbingly stupid.

I would NEVER buy them for my home table. Let's hope Aramith takes proper note of the criticism and has the balls (pun intended) to admit the screw-up...
If they simply reversed the colors on the 4-ball and 5-ball, this set would be acceptable.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
These balls are possibly among the top ten most boneheaded ideas in pool! Not only are they HIDEOSLY ugly, they also induce confusion. The Aramith Tournament set in traditional colours are nice and the old tv colours are also ok, the Black set is just ill conceived. There have been many nice pool sets, the best ones are the Centennials IMO, but there are also many other nice ones. Instead they had to produce this TURD.:frown:

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta say... these balls grew on me a bit over the course of this week. Mind you, on day 4 I still had brainfarts thinking a player lost position on the 4-ball because I was looking at the purple ball, but the reasoning that an orange ball looks too much like a red ball on a lot of screens does sound believable to me.

I have grown to like the black and yellow nineball though. I watched another pool match this week with regular white sides on the 'big ones' and they suddenly seemed old-fashioned to me!

My definite verdict will come when I have seen an 8ball-match with these balls though, because I don't think I like all colors combined with black. Like the black-brown 14ball for instance. *retch*

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two quick observations regarding the new Aramith Black edition balls that were unveiled at the Mosconi Cup:

1) I noticed that every pro player adapted very quickly to the ball changes with zero complaints - the balls do still have numbers.

2) I asked numerous people for their opinion on the balls over the entire MC this past 4 days and not one person said anything negative about them. Not once. - Nearly everyone at some point actually said how amazing the balls looked! Especially on the close-in camera shots.

These folks were either infrequent players to regular players.

Just goes to show that first impressions are really based on existing impressions and in the end, if YOU can’t play as well with one ball set over another, then that’s most likely telling you something

A caveat: Being an avid ball collector for all cue sports worldwide, I have literally played with 300+ different ball sets with 300+ different designs - and after a few racks with every one (no matter how they look or play) I can attest to adapting within minutes as if that current set is the only one in existence.

Plus - my granddaughter said the Aramith Blacks were beautiful So there.

- one man’s opinion

~ K2

hlymnstr14

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to the Aramith site and filled out a complaint on their "contact" page. I suggest others do the same thing!

what are you complaining about? "i'm mad because balls i'm never going to buy are ugly?" then don't buy them.

i get it, i'd never buy them either but someone will and people say it's a money grab...it's all a money grab. do you go to work for free out of the goodness of your heart?

the balls aren't ugly and in theory it's a good idea because every car company puts out BLACKED OUT versions of their cars because people buy the cars, so why not blacked out versions of pool balls. the balls just aren't practical with the dark edges. but to be personally offended to the point you call on others to complain is nuts.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two quick observations regarding the new Aramith Black edition balls that were unveiled at the Mosconi Cup:

1) I noticed that every pro player adapted very quickly to the ball changes with zero complaints - the balls do still have numbers.

2) I asked numerous people for their opinion on the balls over the entire MC this past 4 days and not one person said anything negative about them. Not once. - Nearly everyone at some point actually said how amazing the balls looked! Especially on the close-in camera shots.

These folks were either infrequent players to regular players.

Just goes to show that first impressions are really based on existing impressions and in the end, if YOU can’t play as well with one ball set over another, then that’s most likely telling you something

A caveat: Being an avid ball collector for all cue sports worldwide, I have literally played with 300+ different ball sets with 300+ different designs - and after a few racks with every one (no matter how they look or play) I can attest to adapting within minutes as if that current set is the only one in existence.

Plus - my granddaughter said the Aramith Blacks were beautiful So there.

- one man’s opinion

~ K2
Really?? I had a couple of friends in the arena and they said no one ever got used to them. Said from the stands you could barely make them out. On the stream they looked horrible. The only place we'll see these are on MR events if we're lucky.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a hard time with these balls, maybe my old eyes are the problem, the dark balls were hard to tell apart. I had thought there would be an improvement when they went to the tv table from how they looked at Griff's. For me there was very little improvement.