The Pick up?

TIMBER1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading the opinions on the legality of the ferrule tapping roll out. I was wondering what the opinions are on picking up the stick for a very delicate hit.

For those not familiar with the shot: Object ball and cue ball are near frozen to each other and the rail. The cue is laid on the table and slid under the curvature of the cue ball. You then grab just below the ferrule and pick up causing cue ball to nudge object ball to the rail leaving your opponent with same situation.

CueTable Help

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
randyg said:
Why not?...randyg

I read in the BCA rules (i think it was BCA) and it said to be a legal hit you must make a forward motion at the cueball. It mentioned that rule when they were explaining that you ARE allowed to adjust the cueball with your tip when you have ball in hand, and a shot has not been attempted until you are making a forward motion. I will try to find it and post it here.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
easy-e said:
I read in the BCA rules (i think it was BCA) and it said to be a legal hit you must make a forward motion at the cueball. It mentioned that rule when they were explaining that you ARE allowed to adjust the cueball with your tip when you have ball in hand, and a shot has not been attempted until you are making a forward motion. I will try to find it and post it here.

I know the Rule Book fairly well:)

I don't think you will find any mention of the forward motion of the cue in this situation. The "lift shot" does have a forward motion to it......SPF=randyg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There's a better way to shoot this shot. Seems like I always say s--t like this, but there is. When you see me, ask me and I will show you. Completely legal too!

fanthom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
easy-e said:

Absolutely correct. I am an unfortunate recipient of this kind of illegal shot in a key match in a major tourney in Reno. The ironic part is I called an umpire to watch the shot who called it good or 'legal'. It was a hill-hill match that I eventually lost. About 15 minutes after the match, I was approached by the head umpire who was flushed red in embarassment after realizing that his umpire made the wrong call. It was by all means a FOUL according to the by-laws of BCA. Too little too late for me because the match was over. It would have been my match or should've have been ruled to my favor, but nothing was done.

The lifting of a tip in this shot is actually a double hit because there is more than one point of contact. It is a brushing action to the cue ball. Also, the BCA rules clearly state that the stroke must be a forward horizontal motion. Cue tip lifting is nowhere close to a forward motion and is therefore a foul.

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
fanthom said:
Absolutely correct. I am an unfortunate recipient of this kind of illegal shot in a key match in a major tourney in Reno. The ironic part is I called an umpire to watch the shot who called it good or 'legal'. It was a hill-hill match that I eventually lost. About 15 minutes after the match, I was approached by the head umpire who was flushed red in embarassment after realizing that his umpire made the wrong call. It was by all means a FOUL according to the by-laws of BCA. Too little too late for me because the match was over. It would have been my match or should've have been ruled to my favor, but nothing was done.

The lifting of a tip in this shot is actually a double hit because there is more than one point of contact. It is a brushing action to the cue ball. Also, the BCA rules clearly state that the stroke must be a forward horizontal motion. Cue tip lifting is nowhere close to a forward motion and is therefore a foul.
I thought so, too. Can someone find a quote from the rules about this?

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
isnt there a rule where u cant lay ur playing cue on the table during a game anyways. so that would be an illegal shot regardless.

RascalDoc

RascalDoc
Silver Member
its legal

in APA all day ...... but .. I had never considered a double hit. Considering it though, if the tip contacts it only on the way by the ball, how is that different than hitting a draw shot or follow shot ..... (aside from the vue being powered forward in those shots)

Bill S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Official Rules of the BCA Pool League

In the recently published Official Rules Of The BCA Pool League a Legal Stroke is defined as:
Forward motion of the cue stick resulting in the cue tip striking the cue ball for only the momentary time customarily associated with a normal shot. "Forward" means relative to the cue stick itself, along the long axis of the cue and away from the butt, and has no relevance to any part of the table or any relationship to the player or any part of their body.

Rule 1.18 Legal Stroke
You must use a legal stroke. Any lifting, sideways, or other brushing motion of the cue stick, such that the force that propels the cue ball does not primarily result from a forward motion of the cue stick as defined under "Legal Stroke", is a foul.

The new rules may be found at www.playbca.com
Bill Stock, Rules Administrator, BCA Pool League

TIMBER1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill S said:
In the recently published Official Rules Of The BCA Pool League a Legal Stroke is defined as:
Forward motion of the cue stick resulting in the cue tip striking the cue ball for only the momentary time customarily associated with a normal shot. "Forward" means relative to the cue stick itself, along the long axis of the cue and away from the butt, and has no relevance to any part of the table or any relationship to the player or any part of their body.

Rule 1.18 Legal Stroke
You must use a legal stroke. Any lifting, sideways, or other brushing motion of the cue stick, such that the force that propels the cue ball does not primarily result from a forward motion of the cue stick as defined under "Legal Stroke", is a foul.

The new rules may be found at www.playbca.com
Bill Stock, Rules Administrator, BCA Pool League

Thanks Bill