The professional game should be tougher

If you got a bet on it watching 2 frogs race could get exciting.......


The horse racing game at the carnival was exciting, especially playing against my kids on the same board.
I even made the kids post, but it wasn't a very big score
 
Lol, this post apparently went over a lot of people's heads.
A common argument on AZ is that we can somehow improve or 'save' pool by making equipment tougher.
But sounds like bdorman thinks that's misguided. Imagine if the NBA had that mindset.

I agree that we don't need to mess with the equipment.

But I do feel part of the reason pool doesn't do well on TV is that it looks easy.
Someone mentioned Ronnie O'Sullivan, but anyone who has spent 5 minutes on a snooker table knows
it's NOT easy, those pockets are tiny and unforgiving.
Even to a casual observer who's never hit a ball, sinking a shot from 11-12 feet must look miraculous.
 
I got the analogy.

I liked the analogy.

I agreed with the analogy.

Watching it sail right over folks' heads was priceless.

I love the "what's wrong with pool" threads, especially the ones where guys use whatever their current gripe is as the reason pool went South. I once posted that what I felt was wrong with pool was guys didn't big high enough for the cues I auctioned off and got 5 or 6 guys willing to argue my "point".

Thanks

Kevin
 
I thought it was funny as well, but people do have a bad habit of thinking a new table/game/rules etc will fix everything. It's silly to make a point of replying but this whole trend of, "let's play 8-ball, but not 8-ball, we'll play last-pocket, take what you make, bank shots only, with orange balls and a shot clock, only on Mondays, when the sun is shining in England and 2" pockets..." variations is making a bigger mess.

What people play in a bar, or in the Basement World Series doesn't concern me. The only thing I truly worry about is one of these wacky versions makes it into the mainstream and more people change the channel if it ever makes it to one. I could think of better ways to blow a million than another odd-ball I'm-gonna-save-the-world-with-this plan.

On the snooker analogy, I grew up watching matches like Higgins and Hendry and even though they ran 147s what seemed to be constantly, I didn't find it boring at all. It made me want to go play. There were no laser light shows, no giant scoreboards and I was still interested.
 
I thought it was funny as well, but people do have a bad habit of thinking a new table/game/rules etc will fix everything. It's silly to make a point of replying but this whole trend of, "let's play 8-ball, but not 8-ball, we'll play last-pocket, take what you make, bank shots only, with orange balls and a shot clock, only on Mondays, when the sun is shining in England and 2" pockets..." variations is making a bigger mess.

What people play in a bar, or in the Basement World Series doesn't concern me. The only thing I truly worry about is one of these wacky versions makes it into the mainstream and more people change the channel if it ever makes it to one. I could think of better ways to blow a million than another odd-ball I'm-gonna-save-the-world-with-this plan.

On the snooker analogy, I grew up watching matches like Higgins and Hendry and even though they ran 147s what seemed to be constantly, I didn't find it boring at all. It made me want to go play. There were no laser light shows, no giant scoreboards and I was still interested.

When I was a young man & trying to become a Golf Professional, as soon as the tournament was over, usually about 6 pm, my brother & I were at the first tee, trying to implement some things we saw the PROS doing.... It was an event every summer sunny Sunday afternoon for years. When it was raining, we were at the Pool Room in Arlington, TX playing Snooker or 9-Ball.

Watching the Pros do it should be an inspiration to all, to want to go and do it themselves... ASAP
 
When I was a young man & trying to become a Golf Professional, as soon as the tournament was over, usually about 6 pm, my brother & I were at the first tee, trying to implement some things we saw the PROS doing.... It was an event every summer sunny Sunday afternoon for years. When it was raining, we were at the Pool Room in Arlington, TX playing Snooker or 9-Ball.

Watching the Pros do it should be an inspiration to all, to want to go and do it themselves... ASAP

Exactly! And you've got to do it on the same tee/fairway/green they did it on. When I play Medina or Bulter International it's the exact same course the pros play...although sometimes I wish the holes were bigger and the sandtraps smaller.
 
See, I read it to mean he was pissed off because he didnt hit the point spread..... :grin:
Chuck
 
There's a lot of bright people around - surely someone can come up with a few ideas?
 
Back
Top