The Psyche of a Good Player

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
So in this thread, I'm not talking about the best in the world or the pros, but just my experiences from the local bar leagues.

After playing in leagues for quite a few years, I was finally invited to play on a team that would have a good chance of being in first place.

I'm the type of person that tries to play my role as a pool player to win and not to get into political discussions with my teammates or discuss anything intentionally that I know will cause friction.

Sure enough, I was on a team assembled with very good players, and we are indeed in first place. Out of our five man team (with 6 players), 5 of our players are in the top 10 of the highest averages. However, I came to realize that the best players can be harder to deal with.

In fact, the team has almost split up 5 or more times already. The best player in fact left the team completely and there have been conflicts between the other players on many nights. This never seemed to happen when I was on teams with less skilled players.

What I started to conclude was that the highest skilled players carry some baggage and that it appears that the most skilled players have certain characteristics that could be considered bad for social interactions.

I will name some of the ones that came to my mind, but please add more that you have become aware of:

  • strong personality
  • somewhat eccentric
  • low tolerance for specific behavior or actions by others
  • needs to be looked up to, or be the big dog that people admire
  • very anal about certain things
  • can have a short fuse
  • very high expectations for themselves and teammates

In Conclusion, while it's nice to be on a first place team. The characteristics above have made the season very challenging. Don't get me wrong, we definitely have fun too. But I've learned that the better players definitely can be very unique and “special” in other ways. LOL

EDIT: I should add, if anyone disagrees and you have played on a team with highly skilled players and have not observed any of these personality traits at all, I'd be interested in that too.
 
Last edited:
All good players, personality wise are different just as all pool players regardless of speed have different temperaments.

I have noticed that the best players not only have confidence but more importantly, doubt does not creep into their minds. There is a difference. I find the best players also have the discipline to have a consistent PSR.

I have known great players that were naturals who were junkies and I have known great players that were naturals who were farmers.
 
All good players, personality wise are different just as all pool players regardless of speed have different temperaments.

I have noticed that the best players not only have confidence but more importantly, doubt does not creep into their minds. There is a difference. I find the best players also have the discipline to have a consistent PSR.

I have known great players that were naturals who were junkies and I have known great players that were naturals who were farmers.
That's a good point. Everyone is definitely different. But I'm trying to focus on characteristics that I think push them to become really good, but that don't translate well into social situations.
 
[*]strong personality
[*]somewhat eccentric
[*]low tolerance for specific behavior or actions by others
[*]needs to be looked up to, or be the big dog that people admire
[*]very anal about certain things
[*]can have a short fuse
[*]very high expectations for themselves and teammates
[/LIST]

{ ***) GETS THE DOUGH
jack
Yeah, but being a good money player may mean that those people have unique characteristics above and beyond a highly skilled player. Like, a good money player my play even better under pressure than if they are playing for fun. (Unfortunately, I tend to play better when only playing for fun.) :eek:
 
That's a good point. Everyone is definitely different. But I'm trying to focus on characteristics that I think push them to become really good, but that don't translate well into social situations.

Passion is everything when it comes to improvement.
 
So in this thread, I'm not talking about the best in the world or the pros, but just my experiences from the local bar leagues.

After playing in leagues for quite a few years, I was finally invited to play on a team that would have a good chance of being in first place.

I'm the type of person that tries to play my role as a pool player to win and not to get into political discussions with my teammates or discuss anything intentionally that I know will cause friction.

Sure enough, I was on a team assembled with very good players, and we are indeed in first place. Out of our five man team (with 6 players), 5 of our players are in the top 10 of the highest averages. However, I came to realize that the best players can be harder to deal with.

In fact, the team has almost split up 5 or more times already. The best player in fact left the team completely and there have been conflicts between the other players on many nights. This never seemed to happen when I was on teams with less skilled players.

What I started to conclude was that the highest skilled players carry some baggage and that it appears that the most skilled players have certain characteristics that could be considered bad for social interactions.

I will name some of the ones that came to my mind, but please add more that you have become aware of:

  • strong personality
  • somewhat eccentric
  • low tolerance for specific behavior or actions by others
  • needs to be looked up to, or be the big dog that people admire
  • very anal about certain things
  • can have a short fuse
  • very high expectations for themselves and teammates

In Conclusion, while it's nice to be on a first place team. The characteristics above have made the season very challenging. Don't get me wrong, we definitely have fun too. But I've learned that the better players definitely can be very unique and “special” in other ways. LOL

EDIT: I should add, if anyone disagrees and you have played on a team with highly skilled players and have not observed any of these personality traits at all, I'd be interested in that too.

When I play league I'm usually the best player on the team.

I think I am the following;
[*]low tolerance for specific behavior or actions by others
[*]very anal about certain things
[*]very high expectations for themselves and teammates
 
Back
Top