The Queen's Gambit got me wondering...

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
So if they can adapt a novel about Chess into an incredible series, wonder if they could do the same with pool. We all know that Walter Tevis wrote the novel for Queen's Gambit and he also wrote The Color of Money novel... would be cool if they did a series based on the Color of Money novelization... Wonder if there is a way to get some traction on this idea.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So if they can adapt a novel about Chess into an incredible series, wonder if they could do the same with pool. We all know that Walter Tevis wrote the novel for Queen's Gambit and he also wrote The Color of Money novel... would be cool if they did a series based on the Color of Money novelization... Wonder if there is a way to get some traction on this idea.
Tevis also wrote "The Hustler" and "The Man Who Fell To Earth."

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I still think that McGoorty could make a great series. It would take a lot of period (1920s-1970s) set design though. A complete script for a movie was written and revised before the project was concelled. I think a series makes more sense.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still think that McGoorty could make a great series. It would take a lot of period (1920s-1970s) set design though. A complete script for a movie was written and revised before the project was concelled. I think a series makes more sense.
I agree.
Mcgoorty was a wild man.
Who would play Mcgoorty?

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, McGoorty, would be a great watch. It's strange to think of some of the great players who were always living on the edge of disaster chasing this game. I think of some of them every time a young guy tells me he wants to "go pro". They can't run 2 racks in a row and miss about 25% of their makeable shots and I think of guys like Leil Gay or Roger Griffis or Danny Medina or100 other guys who almost never missed, and couldn't make enough to live on. These guys could live 10 lifetimes and never get to that level.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
everyone has access to make a trailer to share their version of what it would look like.

talking about it is fun, the internet can be more visual and animated.

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is probably plenty of really good pool players who started taking drugs at 8 and were raging alcoholics by the time they were twenty like Beth Harmon.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll say it. TCOM movie was 1,000x better than the book. I’m not sure I’d want to watch a series where Fast Eddie goes quilt shopping. If they do a series, I’d have it be inspired-by The Hustler instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. Here is a series. It would span 100 years. Start with an up and coming player. His routine, practice, diet, mental preparedness, exercise. You can see he is an athlete. This is where we want the game to go. The polished player, no booze, women and drugs. Things that we all have grown up in the pool hall. We know the game of 6 degrees from Kevin Bacon, well this player is 6 degrees or less from playing pool with all these legends of the past. You can highlight the extreme difference in todays players compared with players 100 years ago. And link these players to the best of the world today. Everytime a new champion is declared, you can develop an episode. The great depression, WW2, the 50's and 60's all the way up to now. See how they beat the past champs, defended titles, lost to new talent, the game progresses. The audience has not been given a chance to be shown how hard this game is, and how much it has changed in the last 30 years. The evolution of the game has happened and no one knows that it it did. I was at the hall last night, and in one corner some, we shall say seasoned players, if I said who, most would know their names. Other corner, young guns, the difference is not just visual, but profound in each group. I can tell the battle weary life veterans, booze, women and drugs take their toll. The other corner, do not drink, do not do drugs, and....well, their young so maybe chasing a little tail...But that is the new guard in my area, and I hope that is what is happening all around pool halls. But I think it would be neat to link by matches played a recent player to a player of the past via other champions.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
todays pro pool players look really into mullets and tattoos and working out and fishing.

social media storms Dennis Vs Shane hill hill race to 120 was a major media moment for 2020

todays pool world is international TCOM and The Hustler had no asian people in it. Things have changed quite a lot.

pool hall junkies gave the pool backer a major role.

a current story would have to include the new at home ghost tournament system in a pleasant way.