The real reason Mike Dechaine withdrew from the World Straight Pool

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436847504.764712.jpg
Seems like Charlie isn't the most honest guy, not the first time I've heard shady things about him, but what's new in the pool world I guess.......

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does seeding mean in a round robin format? Every group has at least one world class player and a couple of dark horses. Mika lost his first match. Whatever group mike was in, i would give him a good chance to move on to the next round.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does seeding mean in a round robin format?

I've seen where the top rated player plays the lowest rated player in standings and where the top player plays the 2nd from the top.
That's why someone rated 102 knocks out one of the top contenders in tennis. Top player playing bottom.
Normally, if normal exists you want to see the top two in the world play in the finales.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does seeding mean in a round robin format?

I've seen where the top rated player plays the lowest rated player in standings and where the top player plays the 2nd from the top.
That's why someone rated 102 knocks out one of the top contenders in tennis. Top player playing bottom.
Normally, if normal exists you want to see the top two in the world play in the finales.

In a round robin each player plays all others in their group and the ___ plyers with the best records advance. Seeding does not matter.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
So why would a TD assign seeding in the first place, if there is no need for them...?:confused::confused::confused:

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IF, he seeded before putting the groups together it would absolutely matter. Let's say he seeded top 16, 1 & 16, 2 & 15, 3 & 14, etc. So, MD would have gone from being the best in his group to having a better player in the group (at 9-16 seed). Again, I have NO knowledge of, it was seeded prior to being grouped, if it wasn't then it is irrelevant and seeding shouldn't have even been done. But, since he did seed them, I'd guess it mattered somehow.

JasBy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So why would a TD assign seeding in the first place, if there is no need for them...?:confused::confused::confused:

It depends on the format being used - some tournaments are true random draws for the round robin pools. Other tournaments (like the World Cup for soccer) are pool play, but the teams are 'seeded' in that they make sure that none of the top teams end up in the same pools so that they can all advance. If there are 8 pools then teams 1-8 each get in a different pool (and probably 9-16 get the same treatment)

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
In a round robin each player plays all others in their group and the ___ plyers with the best records advance. Seeding does not matter.

Seeding a player does matter. If there are 8 groups and you are rated in the top 8 seeds then you are the top seed of your group and that's 1 more weaker player to play and are all but 100% to advance to the next round which is where the cash payouts start.
This is not knew to Charlie Madoff Ponzi schemer Williams. This is just 1 of the reasons I don't play in this Tournament anymore. I called Charlie out on this more than 1 time along with many other issues.
Charlie should be held liable for all the players that he back doored in to the money rounds each year and also a few other issues he should be held to would be taking the sponsorship funds that was suppose to go to the players prize money and Charlie kept most of it. Then ofcourse there is the issue with Charlie keeping extra keys to women players hotel rooms and sneeking into their rooms when they were sleeping.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Then ofcourse there is the issue with Charlie keeping extra keys to women players hotel rooms and sneeking into their rooms when they were sleeping.

WTF? Is this a joke? If not, it's truly disturbing.

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then ofcourse there is the issue with Charlie keeping extra keys to women players hotel rooms and sneeking into their rooms when they were sleeping.[/QUOTE]

WTF? Is this a joke? If not, it's truly disturbing.[/QUOTE]

He would be in troubles with the law if were true.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
He should have played! Moving him around to a different group would have had little effect on his ability to do well in the tournament. If you want to be considered a champion, you need to find a way to overcome adversity in all it's various forms. That's about as simple as I can make it.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He should have played! Moving him around to a different group would have had little effect on his ability to do well in the tournament. If you want to be considered a champion, you need to find a way to overcome adversity in all it's various forms. That's about as simple as I can make it.

More than 1 thing can be true. While it's impossible to argue your point here, the shadiness that is (allegedly) going on should also be brought to light. And, it'll garner some attention and opinions that'll side with MD, but, doesn't make your statement any less true.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Then ofcourse there is the issue with Charlie keeping extra keys to women players hotel rooms and sneeking into their rooms when they were sleeping.

WTF? Is this a joke? If not, it's truly disturbing.[/QUOTE]

He would be in troubles with the law if were true.[/QUOTE]

This is not new information.

Many threads have been written about this in the past, and many of the alleged details were described.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Both CW and MD have deleted their Facebook posts about this.

Of course, well after the horses have gotten out of the barn....

"Professional" pool.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both CW and MD have deleted their Facebook posts about this.

Of course, well after the horses have gotten out of the barn....

"Professional" pool.

The best was when other "pro's" were piling on, as if it were a bunch of middle schoolers mocking the kid with acne. It was astounding reading what many wrote, and unfortunately, not all that surprising.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
What does seeding mean in a round robin format? Every group has at least one world class player and a couple of dark horses. Mika lost his first match. Whatever group mike was in, i would give him a good chance to move on to the next round.

With a #3 seed Mike would be the world class player in his group.
Now he is seeded 9-16 he would have 1 of the top favorites in his group.
So, for example as #3 seed he would not have in his group one of these players:

SVB
Hohmann
Appleton
Feijen
Ortmann

But now as #9 seed he will have 1 of these players in his group. It's not a huge disadvantage
since Mike can certainly beat any of these guys in a race to 100 but a disadvantage nonetheless.
It could be the difference between winning or losing one of his round robin matches and thus
decide whether or not he advances.

gr. Dave

p.s. the 5 names of world class players I just chose randomly, I do not know
if any or all of them even play this tournament.

Last edited: