The road to recovery day 1

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I am starting this thread today primarily as a tool for me, but I would challenge others to come on this return to play journey with me.
56 years old, single male, live alone, work days 5 days a week, played tons of pool in my 20’s, then basically none for 30 years.
Have kept myself somewhat informed from this site / others across the years, plus been watching hours upon hours of pool in the last 2 months.
Bought a valley, bought a cue, got it setup and banged a few balls around for the last 3 weeks.
Older, more tired, bad eyes, real bad right eye.....easier to just sit on the couch and do nothing.
So, I wanted to find a way to make myself play. Tried several things, too lazy, so today...
Bought a little white board, hung it on the wall and decided I will make myself
Play one ghost race to 7 a day, 2 on the weekend days playing 6 ball, BIH after break.
I get it that’s super easy, but had to start somewhere.

I’m gonna check in each day and report my score as a tool of accountability for me, but hopeful that one person who wants to play again will join me daily in playing/reporting.

Day 1- lost 6 straight....should have won them all. Lost due to missing angles, or terrible speed position play. Finally won one. Have admit made me smile.
Day one. Ghost 7-me 1

Thx

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Hat is off to you , I am trying to comeback myself. I grew up in a pool hall that was a lot like the one in the Hustler. I did not have anyone to show me much and had to learn the hard way. The last pool room went out here about 20 years ago and pool stopped here. I am now 42 and trying to come back to what used to be but have to admit that eyes and hands are not were they used to be. Good luck and I will check to see how you are improving .

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
raycharles

So, I am starting this thread today primarily as a tool for me, but I would challenge others to come on this return to play journey with me.
56 years old, single male, live alone, work days 5 days a week, played tons of pool in my 20’s, then basically none for 30 years.
Have kept myself somewhat informed from this site / others across the years, plus been watching hours upon hours of pool in the last 2 months.
Bought a valley, bought a cue, got it setup and banged a few balls around for the last 3 weeks.
Older, more tired, bad eyes, real bad right eye.....easier to just sit on the couch and do nothing.
So, I wanted to find a way to make myself play. Tried several things, too lazy, so today...
Play one ghost race to 7 a day, 2 on the weekend days playing 6 ball, BIH after break.

I’m gonna check in each day and report my score as a tool of accountability for me, but hopeful that one person who wants to play again will join me daily in playing/reporting.

Day 1- lost 6 straight....should have won them all. Lost due to missing angles, or terrible speed position play. Finally won one. Have admit made me smile.
Day one. Ghost 7-me 1

Thx

YES YES YES! It does matter. No one else may know about it or be watching, but pool has always been part of your life even when you had other obligations. You deserve the experience of figuring out how to play this game. Keep going and great job!

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok - Ray at 56 years and Poolfan at 42 years - sounds like you are talking like your best years are behind you. Not so - you have many good pool playing years ahead of you. And with good shotmaking practice and good cue ball control and position practice, you can improve tremendously going forward if are willing to put in the required effort. I am 71 and playing better than ever, and feel like I have several years of improvement ahead before old man time slows me down.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Day one. Ghost 7-me 1

Thx

Just keep doing what you're doing, except do more of it. Banging a few balls around isn't going to make you any better. Race to Seven against the Six Ball ghost on a Valley bar table is not a lot of play. You might try upping the ante a little and go two or three sets a day. I've often said it can take two hours of pool to get thoroughly warmed up and start to improve your game. That's not a hard and fast rule, more a rule of thumb so to speak.

I will only add this Ray. As you continue to play and see improvement in your game, it will become more fun and you will want to play longer. That could happen within a week or so if you start playing a little more each day.

As for me, some of my best pool was played between the ages of 55 and 60, when I owned my last poolroom. I was in action three or four days a week and probably was on the table four to six hours a day on average. I was usually betting anywhere from $20-50 a game One Pocket and padding my income almost every day. :)

Last edited:

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Ray, thanks for starting this thread. When I read it last night, it became a real eye opener for me. I got on the table, expecting to thrash the 6 ball ghost, didn't happen. Was shocked when I didn't run out the first couple of racks. It went downhill from there. Tried again just now, lost 6-7. Hill, hill and I scratched on the break. How did your race go?

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 2 report/thoughts

I sincerely appreciate the responses, comments, advice. From some heavy hitters, I might add, and I agree with every one.
I work as a maintenance director in the local school district-we had a tough day.
I came in late/super tired, set around, then ate/took a nap too late not waking up til 8.
Didn’t wanna play but made myself.
Thoughts - in the 80’s, there was no internet. Everything you learned was done the hard way. Nobody shared information. Of course, I read every book I could find.....but, now, a player can learn most anything about the game in minutes through media.
So, yes, I thought I could never play well again, but already I’m over that. I’m older, but smarter, wiser, and have many resources.
Yes, one set is not nearly enough, but I know me, and I had to begin with a goal that was real for me.
So tonight, just finished.
I played way better than yesterday, felt like i would make every ball.
Break better, stroke better, everything better on just day 2.
Ghost won 7 to 3, but 2 games I lost on just poor concentration.
So tomorrow I will play 3 sets after warming up better, and my goal is to win one.
Thanks so much for your support.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reality is as you age, your game eventually starts to suffer, albeit gradually.
Your body changes from stamina to eyesight to steady hands & your legs & back.
It is unavoidable and everyone is different but no one ever escapes the inevitable.

Playing pool in your 60’s is different than in your 50’s & when in your 70’s and 80’s,
on any given day your ailments can and will foster pain & discomfort that affects play.

Food for thought: Are you really playing better because of a stark contrast with how
poorly, or inconsistently, you played pool when you were younger? Sure, you know
more than before but wisdom doesn’t translate into better eyesight or less pain either.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reality is as you age, your game eventually starts to suffer, albeit gradually.
Your body changes from stamina to eyesight to steady hands & your legs & back.
It is unavoidable and everyone is different but no one ever escapes the inevitable.

Playing pool in your 60’s is different than in your 50’s & when in your 70’s and 80’s,
on any given day your ailments can and will foster pain & discomfort that affects play.

Food for thought: Are you really playing better because of a stark contrast with how
poorly, or inconsistently, you played pool when you were younger? Sure, you know
more than before but wisdom doesn’t translate into better eyesight or less pain either.

I disagree. You can improve as you age! Watch this Mark Wilson video(Minute 3:38) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhDc9o9iy4o. When people are older many have the time and resources to work on there pool game. Play your best game. That might mean more safety play if you can no longer break the balls well. I have watched many old guys compete and cash in tournaments(many semi new to pool). You are what you think you are!!!!!

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck to you.
I did the same thing.
Took off for about 43 years.
Started back about 7 years ago.

No substitute for hitting a million balls.
Some things never change.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Day one. Ghost 7-me 1

Thx
No shame in playing the ghost starting with any number of balls all the way down to 2 or 3 balls! Playing the ghost and starting with the correct number of balls that gives you a 50-50 chance of winning or losing the game or set is the best way to judge your progress. Hopefully you'll be able to start adding 1 ball at a time as you start improving.

If you're not able to beat the 6-ball ghost, remove one more (lowest numbered ball) off the table after your break before taking ball-in-hand. See how you fair against the 5 ball ghost. Once you prove to yourself you can consistently beat the 5-ball ghost, or it may be the 4-ball ghost, add a ball. I bet your gained level of confidence by experiencing success will carry over.

Last edited:

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 3 set 1

List 7 to 3
Figuring the break out.
Stroke speed control better, but very inconsistent
Almost every ball I missed are shots I make 9 out of 10
Missing balls just on stroke fundamentals.
Was mad when I lost first set. Wanted to win.
That’s a good sign.
2 more sets tonight.
I think I am at least 50% to win either or both.

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thx ghost sux

I win 7 5
Starting to feel it.
Letting my stroke go
Feel like I’m gonna make every ball

Sounds silly but after the win - huge double trip fist pump - like I won the Mosconi

Ghost is in big trouble - I worked up a sweat kicking his back side

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ghost wins last set today 7 to 5

But I didn’t like. It’s war.
Balls bunched up on break.
Missed every bank shot had try.

I will beat him 3 sets tomorrow
Thx support.

My neck hurts TOO much.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I win 7 5
Starting to feel it.
Letting my stroke go
Feel like I’m gonna make every ball

Sounds silly but after the win - huge double trip fist pump - like I won the Mosconi

Ghost is in big trouble - I worked up a sweat kicking his back side

Congrats on your win!

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trying to hijack your thread, just going to ride along for a while. Beautiful weather yesterday, had a long day outside. Got to the table late, and a little beat. Did not go well, very frustrating. Raining today, got to table right away. Warmed up, focused, jumped out to big lead. Barely made it, won 7-6. Still surprised it was this hard, seems like it should be easy. In my area, bar box 8ball is all there is, so it's what I play. Since I got my table, I have been playing 8ball against myself a lot. In six weeks, my runouts have gone up. That's why I thought the 6ball ghost would be easy. A few months ago, Tin Man posted that playing 8ball against yourself was the worst way to improve. He didn't say why and I didn't ask. I think the last four days have given me some insight as to why. I'm going to play rotation for a month straight, and see how that goes. Good luck to you Ray, and once again, thanks for starting this thread.