The Running Start Break??

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
I was playing in a tournament a few weeks ago and struck up a conversation with a couple of guys while I was waiting for my first match. As we were trading stories they both told me about a player who was known for getting a running start and hitting the cue ball on the break. They claimed he could hit it with astounding accuracy and the rack would explode. Has anyone ever witnessed anything like this? I think it would be a cool thing to see.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing in a tournament a few weeks ago and struck up a conversation with a couple of guys while I was waiting for my first match. As we were trading stories they both told me about a player who was known for getting a running start and hitting the cue ball on the break. They claimed he could hit it with astounding accuracy and the rack would explode. Has anyone ever witnessed anything like this? I think it would be a cool thing to see.
No. Please don't get it started either. All i see is cloth getting torn by the morons who would try it and fail.

chenjy9

I knew someone that would break like he was from a martial arts movie thrusting a spear. Was pretty accurate too.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plus your chances of an accurate hit are basically ZERO and your chances of ripping the shit out of the cloth are HIGH. A break for morons.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
In theory there is a lot of speed to be found in a one handed break. A baseball can be thrown a hundred miles an hour. A softball even faster. However, there is no mound and no step down for a break in pool, rarely more than minimum room. I have played pool with a handful of guys that I knew were black belts over the years. Most had tried a one handed break and quickly went back to a normal break. They had good to excellent hand speed but none were really great players.

CJ Wiley claims a lifetime in martial arts and playing pool. Might study his break if interested.

Hu

Reactions: Pin

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
As a thought experiment, I wonder how it would be if players could throw the CB for the break shot. Maybe with the rack turned to give them a flat line of balls to aim for.
Lots of broken slates, windows, and spectators. Terrible idea.
But if people became proficient at the technique, could it be high-power? Who knows!

middleofnowhere

Registered
If you live long enough you will see everything. I actually knew one, there were probably others. He was a pretty good Florida player from Palm Beach. He was really an experience to play.

Often he would shoot balls turning his head and not looking, take breaks to do deep breathing exercises in the middle of a match. He played in a straight pool tournament once and played a match that took so long the place had emptied out. There was maybe a dozen of us who stayed around to see the outcome.

And yes he would run at the table and break the balls. I once saw him start running from outside the pool room. I don't think it was a technique he used often. At times he would slow down his play to the point it was unbearable.

Anyone who knows or knew him, don't know if he is still alive, knows what I am talking about. He was good friends with Jimmy Reid.

If you look up the book by Johnny Holiday about straight pool something like "Position play for high runs". He wrote a few others.
He had the rights to Holidays books and you could order them from him. I think he wrote the introduction.

He actually has two names.. excuse my spelling but his real name if Danny Christiani but he changed it to Danny Christian. I'm going to add, he was/is one of the nicest guys you would ever meet.

Last edited:

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
If you live long enough you will see everything. I actually knew one, there were probably others. He was a pretty good Florida player from Palm Beach. He was really an experience to play.

Often he would shoot balls turning his head and not looking, take breaks to do deep breathing exercises in the middle of a match. He played in a straight pool tournament once and played a match that took so long the place had emptied out. There was maybe a dozen of us who stayed around to see the outcome.

And yes he would run at the table and break the balls. I once saw him start running from outside the pool room. I don't think it was a technique he used often. At times he would slow down his play to the point it was unbearable.

Anyone who knows or knew him, don't know if he is still alive, knows what I am talking about. He was good friends with Jimmy Reid.

If you look up the book by Johnny Holiday about straight pool something like "Position play for high runs". He wrote a few others.
He had the rights to Holidays books and you could order them from him. I think he wrote the introduction.

He actually has two names.. excuse my spelling but his real name if Danny Christiani but he changed it to Danny Christian. I'm going to add, he was/is one of the nicest guys you would ever meet.
That was a great story! Thanks for posting.