The Snob factor and Pool

Klopek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tokyo-dave said:
I think that we all as pool players that play with higher end and somewhat expensive cues consider our cues to be extentions of our peni. The more expensive, the better the extention! And all of those that don't own higher end cues have smaller peni and really don't belong in a pool hall.:D
(but I've lost many many matches to guys with smaller peni than I)
dave
Speak for yourself, my cue is just equipment.

You could also say the guys with the cheaper cues don't need to compensate for anything.:D

But good job proving the OP point.:rolleyes:

HIRUN526

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally only shoot and compete with players that have a cue at least as expensive as mine or more expensive (if my opponents cue is more expensive than mine then I will go and get one more expensive than his). I can't imagine shooting with someone that has a cheap cue....cheap case. It just isn't .....right. As poolplayers we all have a responsibility to look good while we're shooting...heck anybody can learn to play good, looking good is much more important.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Colin Colenso said:
Nah, it's the pool physics snobs you gotta look out for!

Colin>~ Certified Pool Physics Snob :p

I have to say that I love reading the technical posts and threads, but you guys make my head swim.....Someday I'll be able to digest it all....By all means keep it coming, but a little more laymans speak would be great....

McCue Banger McCue

poolhall maven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tokyo-dave said:
I think that we all as pool players that play with higher end and somewhat expensive cues consider our cues to be extentions of our peni. The more expensive, the better the extention! And all of those that don't own higher end cues have smaller peni and really don't belong in a pool hall.:D
(but I've lost many many matches to guys with smaller peni than I)
dave

Nope I don't think thats it!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
poolhall maven said:
Tokyo-dave said:
I think that we all as pool players that play with higher end and somewhat expensive cues consider our cues to be extentions of our peni
Nope I don't think thats it!

LMFAO! Great stuff.

Fred

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Snob Story

Back in the late 80's an older Guy used to come into the Pool hall with a young eye candy chick on his arm. They called him "Diamond Jim". He had a
custom cue with Diamonds inlaid in it. He was a Snob, he would not play
with Riff-Raff like me. He only played 3 Cushion with old man Bob.
His little Chick-A-Dee would sit at the Bar while he played at the other end of the room. If you sat down next to her, and talked to her she was very nice, but would always look back to see if he was watching her with his Evil Eye. She would always wear those Wrap around dresses and they would fall just so one her Legs would show. He was a bit of a Control Freak with Her.:)

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HIRUN526 said:
I personally only shoot and compete with players that have a cue at least as expensive as mine or more expensive (if my opponents cue is more expensive than mine then I will go and get one more expensive than his). I can't imagine shooting with someone that has a cheap cue....cheap case. It just isn't .....right. As poolplayers we all have a responsibility to look good while we're shooting...heck anybody can learn to play good, looking good is much more important.

What this place obviously needs is a StyleMan. You are my nominee for this highly responsible position.

You will advise all who inquire about the latest "must haves". You will cover the complete universe: pool shoes; table colours (or, as the Yanks would write, colors); cue inlays; and develop a scale to measure the intimidation power by which all cues can be rated for their winning potential.

In addition, you will travel the pool world to classify all pool halls so that the unstylish will not suffer the embarrassment of inadvertently entering a sanctum above their status. Or the stylish encountering the unwashed. See Mr. Wilson for your travel advance.

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
TATE said:
I don't know about you but I sure miss my Imperial with the green nylon wrap and the 11mm shaft. Hey, $20 was a lot of money in those days. it bought you about 100 gallons of gas.

It wouldn't make a bad bet either would it? "I'll play you for 100 gallons of gas". I think I might try it. I certainly wont be playing for pink slips again in a hurry. Once bitten, as they say. I couldn't back down from the challenge, but I just couldn't concentrate on my game wondering how on earth he knew I was wearing one.

Boro Nut

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Just out of curiosity, would it be considered 'snobbish' to always quote a price when discussing a cue ? An example might be "a $2300 custom XYZ cue", as opposed to "a custom XYZ cue".

Dave

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
Well if you put it that way....

DaveK said:
Just out of curiosity, would it be considered 'snobbish' to always quote a price when discussing a cue ? An example might be "a $2300 custom XYZ cue", as opposed to "a custom XYZ cue".

Dave

Yeah......! :D

Inzombiac

Silver Member
Personally, I learn a little bit from every game I play, so if you're nice enough to give me a set, i'm grateful. There are a lot of people who are better than me, and a lot who deserve to be snobbish. But I've seen people walk into my poolhall with the nice cases and 5 cues who make fun of my glove, and I've beaten them straight through in a run to 5. So "snob" to me is all well and good, cus there's nothing in my mind that says I can't beat every person I play, even when I lose.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
You might be a pool SNOB if;

you always quote the cost and 'year made' of your cue when asked 'what kind of cue is that' (i.e. "It's $2300 1992 Richard Black")

you always mention that your cue is 'custom made' (yet you just ordered off the cue makers website 'as is')

your new 2x4 case has all kinds of pins and patches from your league accomplishments and you are willing to tell anyone that asks, how each of pin or patch was won (in detail)

you only read posts with 5 or more 'rep' symbols.

you just shake your head 'yes or no' when reading posts and think to yourself, "Why should I waste my time, responding to this drivel?"

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
Tom In Cincy said:
you always quote the cost and 'year made' of your cue when asked 'what kind of cue is that' (i.e. "It's $2300 1992 Richard Black")

you always mention that your cue is 'custom made' (yet you just ordered off the cue makers website 'as is')

your new 2x4 case has all kinds of pins and patches from your league accomplishments and you are willing to tell anyone that asks, how each of pin or patch was won (in detail)

you just shake your head 'yes or no' when reading posts and think to yourself, "Why should I waste my time, responding to this drivel?"

I try to avoid telling people around here how much my cues cost--that is ever since one of the local elders suggested that I might want to keep it on the QT so someone doesn't start seeing $$ and try to steal it/them.

I always mention that my cues are custom, but then I've ordered all my cues from the cuemaker and either completely designed it or worked with the cuemaker to design it.

I don't have anything on my case but my initials...lol...(and a few battle scars). That being said, while I may think that I'm better than someone else I rarely say it. :D :p :cool:

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
LOL! Good ones Tom!

Tom In Cincy said:

:D :D :D :D