The truth about Cleaning/waxing/polishing balls and Aramith cleaner

DeepBanks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Psssssssssssssssssttt . . .

Denatured Alcohol and one of these for 10 minutes . . . viola!

Attachments

• Diamond Polisher027.JPG
    Diamond Polisher027.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 985
  • Diamond Polisher029.JPG
    Diamond Polisher029.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 987

larryvietvet

My comment is regarding the WPBA rule. Wonder if this rule is enforced during the professional tournaments? Would love to hear from an official or player in the know. Cut induced throw is minimal with wax and silicone. Throw is huge after washing the balls and wiping down with alcohol or acétone. Watch Dr Dave's throw experiment video for all the details.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Why there is no official way or cloth to wipe and scrub a table is a fault of the rule makers. It leaves room for variables.

At least agree on the material and who is allowed to touch the table and when. I would even consider players wear facemasks to not allow any airborne mixtures come into contact during play.

Its like the rule makers only know how to count.

gbs52

Registered
I’m not saying this is a good way to clean our phenolic balls but rather something I found when searching. I think I’d stay clear of hot water though. Surely there’s adequate ways other than expensive oem products.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m not saying this is a good way to clean our phenolic balls but rather something I found when searching. I think I’d stay clear of hot water though. Surely there’s adequate ways other than expensive oem products.
A bottle of Aramith ball cleaner lasts a long time, at least for me. If you want to economize, only use it every fifth or sixth time, but the balls are not going to come out as shiny if you just use soap and water. The scuff marks and miscue spots will remain.

Back when I played where the help couldn't be bothered to clean the equipment I used plain water and paper towels. They worked OK for that situation.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently got a BallStar machine, and have been using the Tiger Crystal polish with it. It works very well, and I get the same results as the picture of the 8-ball, that rexus31 posted. The actual BallStar polish does clean the balls well, but there have been a few reviews saying that it leaves the balls a little too slick (as though it may have silicone in it?).

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There is a lot of bad info that can be found on the web, issue is that without prior knowledge people will attach their loyalty to something and forget about getting anything factual into them after that.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why there is no official way or cloth to wipe and scrub a table is a fault of the rule makers. It leaves room for variables.

At least agree on the material and who is allowed to touch the table and when. I would even consider players wear facemasks to not allow any airborne mixtures come into contact during play.

Its like the rule makers only know how to count.
1- The rule makers aren't table maintenance experts.

B) the creation of a standard that defines what can be used sounds like a legitimate want but makes said standard ineligible to take advantage of further innovations, without changing the standard.

Sounds a lot like work.
Who's gonna pay for that?

Run Of One

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I clean 60 to 100 sets of pool balls a week, and this is what I swear by.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1671173339895.jpg
    FB_IMG_1671173339895.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 140

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I clean 60 to 100 sets of pool balls a week, and this is what I swear by.
It's not the greatest of products to use as it contains silicone. Silicone can do funny things with the way pool balls play. Anything that promotes a "slick" surface shouldn't be used. Ever feel a brand new set out of the box? They are shinny and smooth but not slick. This is ideal so spin transfers as it should and the balls react off the cushions as they should.

Last edited: