Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Started Playing Pool

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Maybe for you................but I have got plenty of ass by being around the pool rooms... Usually from the cute waitresses and bartenders either directly or from their friends. I May have caught a lil' something once or twice too:(

Lmao. If you didn't you were too choosey and wouldn't have had near as much fun! :)

Been there brother. Rock on!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Diminishing Return in Pool.

Sounds like a book title. A true story.

Yes but it is true. At first you improve pretty fast and get hooked..but then after playing a while each little improvement comes slower and slower.

"Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Started Playing Pool:"

How hard it would be to get pretty good at it.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'll need a drover's coat to hold all the league patches.
You'll need to learn the high speed cue twirl, like an airplane propeller.
Pack a couple measles balls that are covered with chalk and nicks.
A twin pack of Minnesota Fats chalk and some slip on tips.
A crying towel to wipe your cue at high speed while your opponent shoots in your direction.
A flipping coin the size of a tennis ball.
A tip scuffer from China that you hold with your feet while you spin the cue to shape the tip.
A 3 foot chain to attach to your wallet and belt loop.
A good lock for your bicycle transportation.
Pool gloves for both hands.
Car wax to polish your cue.
Your own rack that clips to your belt.
A leather pouch to hold your coins to pay table time with.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
It takes over all of your free time.

Even when you're on a team, you're still on your own.

It's a very alpha-oriented sport.

It can be extremely expensive.

You are always going to need a bigger room if you want to play at home.

Pets & Pool are usually a bad idea.

Everyone thinks they should teach you.

The better you get, the more your non-playing friends will look down on you for it.

You will never be able to pay the bills with it.

You will stay awake nights thinking about a single shot you missed instead of enjoying the other 99 you made.

Your list....has a similar feel to ''whom I picked as my first wife''.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This happened to me last night so I'll add it to the list:

For your entire life you will receive periodic text messages from your non pool playing friends when they meet someone that says they can play good asking "Do you know this guy?!?"

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You forgot a couple of major ones....imo
1.Never underestimate how much a pool player can whine
2.Be ready for a sob story every time you see 75% of your pool "buddies"
3. Never depend on a pool "buddie" for help moving, lifting, finding ....ahhhh just never depend on a pool buddie for anything. No matter what he says, you will see him at the pool hall instead, with a flimsy excuse. Only give a response to this statement if all 3 have personally happened to you at least twice in the last 4 years.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This happened to me last night so I'll add it to the list:

For your entire life you will receive periodic text messages from your non pool playing friends when they meet someone that says they can play good asking "Do you know this guy?!?"

Lol............. and when you meet the guy he can't run 3 balls?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

You will stay awake nights thinking about a single shot you missed instead of enjoying the other 99 you made.

Within this shot alone, lies ones true answer on how to improve.

I missed a shot in Georgia, that I thought about for two weeks, within that shot was the key.
I remember exactly what I was doing, and only because of that was I able to improve.

Some people spend time complaining, others spend time remembering and adjusting to life and it's conditions.

Soon after that ''miss'' I won my first pro event.

It was the Key that opened the door.

Remember this....

''The balls never lie''.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Within this shot alone, lies ones true answer on how to improve.

I missed a shot in Georgia, that I thought about for two weeks, within that shot was the key.
I remember exactly what I was doing, and only because of that was I able to improve.

Some people spend time complaining, others spend time remembering and adjusting to life and it's conditions.

Soon after that ''miss'' I won my first pro event.

It was the Key that opened the door.

Remember this....

''The balls never lie''.

Awesome!

What event was this? I love hearing the OG's that have been there and done that's stories on here.

:smile:

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It takes over all of your free time.
Anything you want to get particularly good at will.
Even when you're on a team, you're still on your own.
Yup, it's not like some other team sports.
It's a very alpha-oriented sport
Sometimes it's an a** oriented sport too!
It can be extremely expensive.
It doesn't have to be but people shouldn't buy $2,000 cues when they can't make three balls in a row!
You are always going to need a bigger room if you want to play at home.
I have been to some excellent players homes who had a good table (one was a Gold Crown) pushed up to the wall on one side just so they could have one at home at all.
Pets & Pool are usually a bad idea.
Training your pet to stay off the table would help. Some shed some don't.
Everyone thinks they should teach you.
Many just want to help. There is a LOT to learn!! You can pick up bits and pieces or ideas from almost anyone.
The better you get, the more your non-playing friends will look down on you for it.
Your job is to separate the wheat from the chaff. The players from the contributors. They should be learning stuff from you.
You will never be able to pay the bills with it.
Seems from what I have observed over a great many years is that a lot (not hardly all) of money players are just passing the money around over and over.
It's the ones you miss that will kill you in a game. I have two shots in particular that have haunted me since about 1985! It keeps them from ever happening again!!
:thumbup: