This is why pool isn't as popular in the US.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I stumbled across this Taiwanese show that lasted 20 episodes with 9-ball as the backdrop. Maybe this is whats needed here. Catchy tune and all the men pros growing their long hair (mullets don't count).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C1s0P2UW2g

My chinese is rusty, maybe John Barton could translate and vouch for the authenticity of the taiwan hustling scene. So far, I don't see a single Predator fat shafted Southwest cue.
 
ok, so I made it to 35 seconds and I couldnt get the question out of my head....




Dude,......you know how I know you are gay?.........you watched THAT and told other people to do the same!



HA! :grin: j/k......not really:wink:
 
When I was in Taiwan they had pool on TV every night!!!
This is how you make a sport big...
 
Sorry, posted the wrong clip. That was the music video clip. This one clip has more pool action. Bunch of trick shots. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c3bSxtZT1g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtVFOd3fs_s&feature=related
There is a whole bunch on youtube. First 10 seconds of this clip shows antagonist warming up with SPF Mother Drill 2.

Yes, its full of overacting (see pic below for example of william shatner style of overacting), along with a mix of pouty girls, metrosexual guys, chinese underworld and the love triangle (can't forget that). I sat through Shooting Gallery with Freddie Prinze Jr and Turn the River. So, I can say that I've seen worse. Today, I'm heading down to chinatown and see if I can't pick this up. I'll let everyone know if I spot a Jennifer Chen or Kim Ga Young cameo.

My original point is we don't even anything on TV, let alone cheesy shows like this. Yes, AMC will show the Hustler, or the Color of Money, but that's it. How many people here caught other pool movies on TV?. Likely none.

If shows like this keeps pool in the media radar in Asia, then maybe that's what is needed here. Recast a show like NBC's Friends or Cheers but using a pool hall (Amsterdam would be perfect).
 

Attachments

  • billiard_kid.JPG
    billiard_kid.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
pool movie

Admittedly,the boys were a little hard to tell from the girls. But, they are on the right track. The new streaming of matches is a great boon to the game. I watch some almost every day. There is more to this game then a couple of guys or girls expertly moving balls around a green felt table. What is it that traps us for life in this game? Of course the central motivation is to shoot good pool. But what about the drama surrounding that? The woofing, the negotiating for a game. If a player is giving his opponent 7 out, how did they get there? What's the bet? Is there a bunch of railbirds watching? Are they sidebetting? Do the girlfriends spend hours watching their guy shooting? What happens to the loser. Is he tapped out? Who are the stakehorses? How about the booze and the drugs? The adrenaline that starts running when a player says," O.K. , Rackem!" Even if it's only 5 bucks a game. What is the life of a roadplayer who can't make a living in the tournaments? Where else are there such characters and their prized nick names? And what about the comraderie? It's the total life style that draws us in. The drama that surrounds the game. As a matter of fact this is what makes AZ so popular . It's all there.
What do we get on tv? They introduce the players. They play. They interview the winner. Give me Mccready and Earl. Let people know there is substance beyond the game. That's why I love it.:thumbup2:
 
Last edited:
I stumbled across this Taiwanese show that lasted 20 episodes with 9-ball as the backdrop. Maybe this is whats needed here. Catchy tune and all the men pros growing their long hair (mullets don't count).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C1s0P2UW2g

My chinese is rusty, maybe John Barton could translate and vouch for the authenticity of the taiwan hustling scene. So far, I don't see a single Predator fat shafted Southwest cue.
I'm not gay...but that guy sure does have a purdy mouth!
 
Hi Guys,

That's firm is a joke.

I think our AZ members want to watch real actions, I can make it happen.

I can translate it, but....................
 
I think that's the style over there. They like their male heros feminine looking, the japanese have a whole comic genre dedicated to this called bishonen.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a pool comic book series out there. It may look something like this.

I'm not gay...but that guy sure does have a purdy mouth!
 

Attachments

  • ball-in-hand.JPG
    ball-in-hand.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 257
Back
Top