This is why we can't have nice things

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not that easy or cost-effective to do, IMO.

When you dump in a cheaper tournament, you're going to be out of the tournament quickly. The best would be to lose all of your games, so let's say you're two and out, 5-0 and 5-0. You've lost your $25 and that's only 10 games. So you probably need to enter a bunch of those tournaments, losing $25 for only 10 games every time. Do it 10 times to get 100 lost games in the system, and you're out $250.

Then you go to the big money tournament. They're going to have longer races and lots more players. You might need to win 40 games to get in the money and win $200, which doesn't even make up for the $250 it cost to lower your rating. To win the 1st place $800 it might require 60 games if you go through the winner's side, 100 if you go to the left side early.

You've made a couple hundred dollars, but you can only do that once in your life because you've now lost your low Fargo rating, and on top of it all you're a miserable little nit who spent weekend after weekend losing to grandmas so you could have one winning weekend. And now everyone knows it.

Very well said.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When you dump in a cheaper tournament, you're going to be out of the tournament quickly. The best would be to lose all of your games, so let's say you're two and out, 5-0 and 5-0. You've lost your $25 and that's only 10 games. So you probably need to enter a bunch of those tournaments, losing $25 for only 10 games every time. Do it 10 times to get 100 lost games in the system, and you're out $250.

Then you go to the big money tournament. They're going to have longer races and lots more players. You might need to win 40 games to get in the money and win $200, which doesn't even make up for the $250 it cost to lower your rating. To win the 1st place $800 it might require 60 games if you go through the winner's side, 100 if you go to the left side early.

You've made a couple hundred dollars, but you can only do that once in your life because you've now lost your low Fargo rating, and on top of it all you're a miserable little nit who spent weekend after weekend losing to grandmas so you could have one winning weekend. And now everyone knows it.

True. But, what if that player dumps a few hundred and then gets a big spot from someone based off of his (sandbagging) rating....after the tournament.

After all, the player that gave weight to the sand bagger only did it because the TD told him the guy had a 500 fargo, when in reality....the dude can play even with a 700....but, lol the guy giving the nuts is a "true" 600.

Yeah, I've seen it. If yiu haven't, you've not been around action long.

^^^^^ was an extreme case but, I've witnessed it a few times and the payoff was much more than yiur claim. Wanna know why? Lol..... ever had anyone beat you by "just enough" and then make you feel like "they got lucky".....

Wake up and smell the felt.

Jeff

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I guess I forgot we are supposed to care what gamblers do?

True. But, what if that player dumps a few hundred and then gets a big spot from someone based off of his (sandbagging) rating....after the tournament.

After all, the player that gave weight to the sand bagger only did it because the TD told him the guy had a 500 fargo, when in reality....the dude can play even with a 700....but, lol the guy giving the nuts is a "true" 600.

^^^^^ was an extreme case but, I've witnessed it a few times and the payoff was much more than yiur claim. Wanna know why? Lol..... ever had anyone beat you by "just enough" and then make you feel like "they got lucky".....

Jeff

JC

Coos Cues

What you say is spot on. However you are talking to people who probably also believe the earth is flat. Spot on doesn't exist in their world.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jeff

Yeah and what if aliens come down from the sky....

Wake up and shut up with your ridiculous hypotheticals

What is your ****ing point anyway??

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fargo is a sham and people who actually think you can accurately rate games off of just statistical data are complete fools. A sucker is born every minute....

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah and what if aliens come down from the sky....

Wake up and shut up with your ridiculous hypotheticals

What is your ****ing point anyway??

Chill fellow.....

Not talking about people sandbagging to win tournaments. Ive known people to lay down to get action from others that don't know them.

The point? Listen carefully.......underrated player gets nuts from a weaker player. Underrated player lets weak player win just enough to make him stay.

I've seen it happen more than once.

If you don't agree, that's ok. Man, you acted like I insulted your girl or something.

Have a good day sir...

Jeff

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chill fellow.....

Not talking about people sandbagging to win tournaments. Ive known people to lay down to get action from others that don't know them.

The point? Listen carefully.......underrated player gets nuts from a weaker player. Underrated player lets weak player win just enough to make him stay.

I've seen it happen more than once.

If you don't agree, that's ok. Man, you acted like I insulted your girl or something.

Have a good day sir...

Jeff

I am a mathematician who knows just how awesome Fargo ratings are and how they have great potential to positively transform amateur pool worldwide.

It pisses me off when knuckleheads attack Fargo with made up stories of sandbagging. Simply trying to destroy something because you can. I don't put up with that. I will do something to stop it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jeff
Been at a LOT of FR events. The scenario you describe is really rare. I mean, REALLY, rare. Almost everyone knows how each other plays. For someone to sneak in and pull this stunt is nearly impossible. I'm sure its happened but i've never personally witnessed it. Folks, if you don't like FR events its REAL simple, DON'T play. Believe me, they won't miss you. I've seen enough whining at FR tournaments to last me two lifetimes.

CaptainBly

Registered
I am a mathematician who knows just how awesome Fargo ratings are and how they have great potential to positively transform amateur pool worldwide.

It pisses me off when knuckleheads attack Fargo with made up stories of sandbagging. Simply trying to destroy something because you can. I don't put up with that. I will do something to stop it.
It's not made up. It is widely know in our area what went down and who it was. It has seriously damaged Fargo and the tournament/series (in our area). I'll leave it at that.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been at a LOT of FR events. The scenario you describe is really rare. I mean, REALLY, rare. Almost everyone knows how each other plays. For someone to sneak in and pull this stunt is nearly impossible. I'm sure its happened but i've never personally witnessed it. Folks, if you don't like FR events its REAL simple, DON'T play. Believe me, they won't miss you. I've seen enough whining at FR tournaments to last me two lifetimes.

I agree. Thats why I included "extreme case" in the post. I'm sure you overlooked that part by accident.

Having said that, I don't play tournaments anymore. I'm all about just matching up when my health will let me and I can find it.

And yeah, I don't care either.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I forgot we are supposed to care what gamblers do?

No sir. I'm sure they don't care about what we do either but, I've witnessed a TD cause a 600ish player to give a sandbagging player (around 700 speed when in gear) a huge spot for 10k. So, yeah....it can matter to some.

It happens in tournaments to, just not as often and not for as much....that I'm aware of.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ok...lol.... good luck with that.

Mathematics was my field of study as well so, yeah, I can cipher purdygood 2 surrr. Also, I agree that FR is a good thing in "general" but, NOTHING is perfect and it will take a lonnnggg time before it does what you speak of and that's only if more tournaments start reporting to FR.

Have a good day sir.

Again, good luck with that.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not made up. It is widely know in our area what went down and who it was. It has seriously damaged Fargo and the tournament/series (in our area). I'll leave it at that.

Hey....he is a mathematician so, he cant be wrong....right?

Lol

FR can/could be a really good thing but, it's gonna take a lot more work and even participation from more tournaments.

As is, well, it is not perfect. Maybe one day.

Jeff

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of mathematicians, is a Fargo rating really accurate to 3 digits? I am wondering.

I will also add that there is no such thing as a rating system that cannot be manipulated. It also cannot be the responsibility of the system manager to check player honesty.

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will also add that there is no such thing as a rating system that cannot be manipulated. It also cannot be the responsibility of the system manager to check player honesty.

exactly
if a system exists
it is being exploited
good/bad ok
price of doing business

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Who was attacking Fargo? I think you need to read a bit better. I started the post because it pissed me off that people are cheating a good rating system same way they do their league handicaps. One side we get a nice national rating system that does not care much about league stats, only if you win or loose and by how much. Now people are looking ways to loose and not care much about it while planning ahead to bigger pay-outs. Oh I can dump in these $20, $10 entry events for a bit, then win this $2,000 added event next month. This causes bad data to be in for someone and ends up same thing as any league sandbagging. A-holes and lack of respect for yourself wins over a good system every time. You need to have some faith in people to be honest to have a good rating system, which makes those that are not benefit more. Outside of the pros that don't really gain much from trying to loose since they compete at an even field in events anyway.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of mathematicians, is a Fargo rating really accurate to 3 digits? I am wondering.

I would say that within 30 points seems to be a good range to when a player can play pretty much even with others much of the time. 50 points I'd feel pretty safe with winning while spotting someone say a game in a race to 5 or 7, getting to 30,20 points not so much.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
No sir. I'm sure they don't care about what we do either but, I've witnessed a TD cause a 600ish player to give a sandbagging player (around 700 speed when in gear) a huge spot for 10k. So, yeah....it can matter to some.

It happens in tournaments to, just not as often and not for as much....that I'm aware of.

Jeff

I can understand the frustration. I paid $50 to get in a tournament to draw a
match where I've got to give 2 gow and the the 8 and 9 in 10 ball. I really considered
just not playing the match. Since there are others I'll have to give weight to down the
line I'd guess I'd better give it a shot but I expect to see 3's and 4's in the finals.

Fargo rate according to some has the potential to do a lot for Pool but in my part of
the country we don't know what that is.

The bottom line is don't get in a tournament if you haven't really considered the
ramifications of the parameters you have to play within in the tournament.

I don't hate my money but considering what I agreed to, you might think I do.

The matchup I have caused me to post a thread and go to the pool room and practice my thought process
so I could have a better chance at giving weight. Thanks to the posts of several there I think my mind is better off and
I understand a little better what I'll have to do in order to win under those conditions.

In reality I think Amateurs want to play and sometimes so badly that they agree to lots of things then later are unhappy.

We are lucky to have pool rooms to play in and when someone organizes a competition the price might be high
according to the experience you're going to get but its what the market is offering. The choice is yours.

So get in it, then cry about it are just one of the more popular options. lol

If people hate Fargo, then don't get in. Organize an event that's better.

Should be easy. I think you find there is no perfect system but if a value is given that equals things out quite a bit.

Does Fargo give value? I've never played one so don't know.

I like race to 1 for $5 dollar entry and quadruple elimination! Now that's a value! At least for someone.

Last edited:

Doctor_J

Registered
This is happening at the APA, where the stakes are minuscule. One of my own teammates is an inveterate dumper who has managed to keep an 8 Ball SL5 so the qualifiers are easier. I will never understand cheating in such minor events.