Thoughts experiences and opinions RE: BCA's 2010 Pt.1

Getnbzy

Take 2 they're small
Silver Member
Well I'm no Lou F. where writing's concerned but here goes...
Arrived Monday 18th. Called fatboy as i crossed the dam as we had
planned on getting together and checking out some cues but couldn't
reach him (I hear that happens with a guy as busy as him) so although it
sucked it's no biggie. Checked in and was pleasantly surprised as i ended
up with a nice room in the monaco tower. First stop was the justis booth.
Jack and toots are great...and in great spirits as well. Probably cause
they came with 20 cases and on day 3 they were down to 5...good for
them...bad for me, as i missed out on checking out a fancy elephant case
:angry: Next stop was the connoisseur of cues. Joe had some gems out
for this show. Prewitts, a gina, and a Macassor ebony SW. It played
REALLLL nice and thought we might have a trade worked out on it for my
gabon ebony on ebony SW that's in my sig. He said cue for cue + $500. I
said that sounds fair since my cue does have ivory ferrules (His didn't)
and mine has all the rings + an extra ring in the butt and gabon is a little
more desirable. What wasn't all that desirable was that he was expecting
$500 going HIS way. So no soup for you. Maybe it's just me but does
anyone else make that deal? AE cues had some nice stuff. After wading
through multiple raffle girls + jose from mezz taking 1 for the team, i
landed at the fury booth where they had a beat the pro raffle going on. I
got to play some with jackie karol sp? from colorado. Very solid player and
even a nicer person. After winning a couple in a row i overheard a few
guys standing nearby saying this guy must be good..she's a pro and i
guess had waxed both of them prior to my arrival. So i ship it for a ticket
and as she's racking i go over and ask them if they have ever heard the
term "Baiting the hook". They give me a look like this dummy thinks he's at
a fishing tournament lol. I say i might have forgotten but believe i am
about to remember. I break dry. 9 shots later it's nice game and thanks
for your business. We played for another hour or so and i got in stroke a
little so that was nice. Cruised down to mueller's to pick up a gator grip
(Awesome tool for the kamui black) even if a little on the pricey side.
Stopped by mike's omega booth and wowwww. 4 TAD's 5 SW and a lineup
in general that rivaled joe's. Saw a wrapless purpleheart SW with coco
points for $5500. Was told that it was made by jerry for his son as it read
jester on the pin..no # or year , but later
confirmed with laurie that chase had actually made it in 2000-2001 for
himself. With the new disclosure that now drops the price to....you
guessed it. $5500. J/K mike. Mike actually is a great guy and made a call
to a vegas collector to bring some cues by the booth but we couldn't
hookup. Carpal tunnel sucks so i'll wrap this up with saying dinner was
great, the bl lime was better and sleep was best. Pt. 2 forthcoming.
:grin-square:
 
Last edited:
a business owner trading

Well I'm no Lou F. where writing's concerned but here goes...

Arrived Monday 18th. Called fatboy as i crossed the dam as we had

planned on getting together and checking out some cues but couldn't

reach him (I hear that happens with a guy as busy as him) so although it

sucked it's no biggie. Checked in and was pleasantly surprised as i ended

up with a nice room in the monaco tower. First stop was the justis booth.

Jack and toots are great...and in great spirits as well. Probably cause

they came with 20 cases and on day 3 they were down to 5...good for

them...bad for me, as i missed out on checking out a fancy elephant case

:angry: Next stop was the connoisseur of cues. Joe had some gems out

for this show. Prewitts, a gina, and a Macassor ebony SW. It played

REALLLL nice and thought we might have a trade worked out on it for my

gabon ebony on ebony SW that's in my sig. He said cue for cue + $500. I

said that sounds fair since my cue does have ivory ferrules (His didn't)

and mine has all the rings + an extra ring in the butt and gabon is a little

more desirable. What wasn't all that desirable was that he was expecting

$500 going HIS way.
So no soup for you. Maybe it's just me but does

anyone else make that deal? AE cues had some nice stuff. After wading

through multiple raffle girls + jose from mezz taking 1 for the team, i

landed at the fury booth where they had a beat the pro raffle going on. I

got to play some with jackie karol sp? from colorado. Very solid player and

even a nicer person. After winning a couple in a row i overheard a few

guys standing nearby saying this guy must be good..she's a pro and i

guess had waxed both of them prior to my arrival. So i ship it for a ticket

and as she's racking i go over and ask them if they have ever heard the

term "Baiting the hook". They give me a look like this dummy thinks he's at

a fishing tournament lol. I say i might have forgotten but believe i am

about to remember. I break dry. 9 shots later it's nice game and thanks

for your business. We played for another hour or so and i got in stroke a

little so that was nice. Cruised down to mueller's to pick up a gator grip

(Awesome tool for the kamui black) even if a little on the pricey side.

Stopped by mike's omega booth and wowwww. 4 TAD's 5 SW and a lineup

in general that rivaled joe's. Saw a wrapless purpleheart SW with coco

points for $5500. Was told that it was made by jerry for his son as it read

jester on the pin..no # or year , but later

confirmed with laurie that chase had actually made it in 2000-2001 for

himself. With the new disclosure that now drops the price to....you

guessed it. $5500. J/K mike. Mike actually is a great guy and made a call

to a vegas collector to bring some cues by the booth but we couldn't

hookup. Carpal tunnel sucks so i'll wrap this up with saying dinner was

great, the bl lime was better and sleep was best. Pt. 2 forthcoming.

:grin-square:


Nice post. However I am picking the one point to talk about that a lot of folks don't seem to realize, you can't trade without making a profit when you are in business. I did a lot of trading at one of my businesses but I told people upfront that I didn't trade at what I considered an even trade. Pushing $15,000 a month overhead just to stay in business before making a living I could have traded even for a month or two and went under.

There is absolutely no incentive for a business owner to trade even. As a business owner I tried to trade at a 20-35% profit. Some trades I did better, some trades I did worse but that was my rough goal.

Hu
 
That wast the hardest thing I have ever read.

Why not take out all those spaces

In the

text, so that it

is not so hard

on the eyes.
 
Nice post. However I am picking the one point to talk about that a lot of folks don't seem to realize, you can't trade without making a profit when you are in business. I did a lot of trading at one of my businesses but I told people upfront that I didn't trade at what I considered an even trade. Pushing $15,000 a month overhead just to stay in business before making a living I could have traded even for a month or two and went under.

There is absolutely no incentive for a business owner to trade even. As a business owner I tried to trade at a 20-35% profit. Some trades I did better, some trades I did worse but that was my rough goal.

Hu

I see where your coming from. Your looking at it from a business owners pov. And i am looking at it from a customers pov. The cue he had is a $2500 cue at the high end of retail. my cue's retail value is about $2900 (Been offered more but that is moot). Lets put it this way...the first time i talked to him he said the # was $3500. Later in the week it was $3000 cash. At the end of the week when he hadn't moved it yet i offered a straight trade..(He makes at least $300-$400 on that deal) and he declined. I understand that he has a nut to cover and all. Maybe he had another fis...i mean customer contemplating a deal that was more attractive. But Joe is a cool guy and with an inventory of cues in excess of $200,000 i am guessing he doesn't HAVE to move anything. Have a good one hu.
 
That wast the hardest thing I have ever read.

Why not take out all those spaces

In the

text, so that it

is not so hard

on the eyes.

Cause when i read a long post i personally like a little space between the sentences. Maybe i should start a poll. I feel bad so send me the bill from the optometrist. And spellcheck is your friend...and no i don't want to arm wrestle lol.
 
Joe @ The Connoisseur of Cues is a decent fellow to deal with, but he has to pay the rent, and feed his family, it's a business, not a hobbie!
 
Joe @ The Connoisseur of Cues is a decent fellow to deal with, but he has to pay the rent, and feed his family, it's a business, not a hobbie!

Why must you repeat what i said (More or less) ? I said he was a cool guy and you proceed to tell me that he is a decent fellow. Did you miss the part where i said i understand he has a nut to cover (Translation for cowboy: Pay rent, feed family, it's a business, no hobby etc.) I wonder sometimes if we could type in crayon would it would make it easier for you to comprehend?
 
Did you find the Cue you were looking for before the event. Fast_N_Loose had such a Cue recently, and I am not sure he sold it?
 
Last edited:
could be he was confident of getting more

I see where your coming from. Your looking at it from a business owners pov. And i am looking at it from a customers pov. The cue he had is a $2500 cue at the high end of retail. my cue's retail value is about $2900 (Been offered more but that is moot). Lets put it this way...the first time i talked to him he said the # was $3500. Later in the week it was $3000 cash. At the end of the week when he hadn't moved it yet i offered a straight trade..(He makes at least $300-$400 on that deal) and he declined. I understand that he has a nut to cover and all. Maybe he had another fis...i mean customer contemplating a deal that was more attractive. But Joe is a cool guy and with an inventory of cues in excess of $200,000 i am guessing he doesn't HAVE to move anything. Have a good one hu.


I was making a general comment as much as replying to your post. You understand the different viewpoints, a lot of people genuinely don't. That was why the very first thing I told my customers wanting to trade was that I couldn't and didn't trade even value for even value.

A funny story about value, I had an AMC Pacer in my salvage yard. It looked like a Ford Pinto that somebody had stuck a football needle into and pumped up until all the windows and such bulged out. One guy came in all the time buying parts off of it and I kept it for a couple years instead of crushing it just for him. One day he came to me wanting to sell his Pacer. "I know these things are a gold mine, I've bought over a thousand dollars worth of parts for a Pacer from you myself!"

I had to explain to him that the problem was that he was the only person that had bought a part off of that Pacer in the years that I had it. If I bought his Pacer I would be losing my only customer for parts! There seemed to be only two of them in that part of the world and I didn't want to own both of them. I did eventually buy the Pacer for about three times what it was worth to me and about half what he was asking just as a thank you to a loyal customer. When I looked his car over after buying it there were indeed a lot of parts on it with my name on them. :D

Hu
 
Well I'm no Lou F. where writing's concerned but here goes...
Arrived Monday 18th. Called fatboy as i crossed the dam as we had
planned on getting together and checking out some cues but couldn't
reach him (I hear that happens with a guy as busy as him) so although it
sucked it's no biggie. Checked in and was pleasantly surprised as i ended
up with a nice room in the monaco tower.

First stop was the justis booth.
Jack and toots are great...and in great spirits as well. Probably cause
they came with 20 cases and on day 3 they were down to 5...good for
them...bad for me, as i missed out on checking out a fancy elephant case
:angry:

Next stop was the connoisseur of cues. Joe had some gems out
for this show. Prewitts, a gina, and a Macassor ebony SW. It played
REALLLL nice and thought we might have a trade worked out on it for my
gabon ebony on ebony SW that's in my sig. He said cue for cue + $500. I
said that sounds fair since my cue does have ivory ferrules (His didn't)
and mine has all the rings + an extra ring in the butt and gabon is a little
more desirable.

What wasn't all that desirable was that he was expecting
$500 going HIS way. So no soup for you. Maybe it's just me but does
anyone else make that deal? AE cues had some nice stuff. After wading
through multiple raffle girls + jose from mezz taking 1 for the team, i
landed at the fury booth where they had a beat the pro raffle going on. I
got to play some with jackie karol sp? from colorado. Very solid player and
even a nicer person.

After winning a couple in a row i overheard a few
guys standing nearby saying this guy must be good..she's a pro and i
guess had waxed both of them prior to my arrival. So i ship it for a ticket
and as she's racking i go over and ask them if they have ever heard the
term "Baiting the hook". They give me a look like this dummy thinks he's at
a fishing tournament lol. I say i might have forgotten but believe i am
about to remember. I break dry. 9 shots later it's nice game and thanks
for your business. We played for another hour or so and i got in stroke a
little so that was nice.

Cruised down to mueller's to pick up a gator grip
(Awesome tool for the kamui black) even if a little on the pricey side.
Stopped by mike's omega booth and wowwww. 4 TAD's 5 SW and a lineup
in general that rivaled joe's. Saw a wrapless purpleheart SW with coco
points for $5500. Was told that it was made by jerry for his son as it read
jester on the pin..no # or year , but later
confirmed with laurie that chase had actually made it in 2000-2001 for
himself.

With the new disclosure that now drops the price to....you
guessed it. $5500. J/K mike. Mike actually is a great guy and made a call
to a vegas collector to bring some cues by the booth but we couldn't
hookup. Carpal tunnel sucks so i'll wrap this up with saying dinner was
great, the bl lime was better and sleep was best. Pt. 2 forthcoming.
:grin-square:

I just randomly entered double spacing through out the post. I would have gone blind or ended up with a headache if I tried to read it the original way. (double spacing is your friend, if you want people to actually read your posts) :thumbup:
 
Back
Top