fellas,let him enjoy what he has
i have bought what the cue maker wanted many times
every gus
dozens of south west

sometimes i get specific

same on table
i was not happy with my mark gregory tables because of pockets

most people are

i like what was standard on centennials,i have liked every one that was standard

david danzinger used to set them up,i liked every one

most people play better than i do

that is most people that i play with

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, that was a pretty good choice. :)

The cue that I've played the most with is a McDermott C-14 that I bought brand new in 1985 and still have.

Bought mine new in 84, it’s been all over the world during my Air Force career. I still have mine as well, but I do play with a Runde that Deanoc sent me about a year ago. I love the Runde to, but I don’t know a thing about it other than the woods used. 4 pointer with African Blackwood, birds eye maple and maple shaft. It would be nice to know the particulars though if it ever needs work. Nothing fancy, one step above a sneaky.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I don’t think that pro-cut pockets (4-1/2” corners with 5” sides) is really an absolute these days. 4-1/2” corners with approx. 4-3/4” sides are what you will get from Mark Gregory if you just specify pro-cut pockets when ordering rails.
134ec22f32698f8420e5dc4401dc814c.jpg
If you draw a box with a width between the 1 and 6 inch markers on that tape and slide it over...and allow for the fact that the tape hides the point of the pocket mouth on the right side ...I think you'll see that it is very close to 5 inches, and probably closer to 5 than 4 7/8. A tape like that has a moving hook attached with slots so you can measure from either side of the hook. For this purpose you should start at the 1 inch mark.
In your pic it is short of the point on the left side and we don't know which position the hook is in.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
If you draw a box with a width between the 1 and 6 inch markers on that tape and slide it over...and allow for the fact that the tape hides the point of the pocket mouth on the right side ...I think you'll see that it is very close to 5 inches, and probably closer to 5 than 4 7/8. A tape like that has a moving hook attached with slots so you can measure from either side of the hook. For this purpose you should start at the 1 inch mark.
In your pic it is short of the point on the left side and we don't know which position the hook is in.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Inquiring minds would like to know!! LIKE ME!! d:O)

Trent

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here you go, a little better than the tape measure. Both sides look like a tight 5”. I would call it 4-7/8”
0d07dbc838e0cd8f25ff4ec1914cce11.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Please show us the corner(s) with the ruler.

If have 4-7/8” sides....
Then 4-3/8” should be your corner opening.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Please show us the corner(s) with the ruler.

If have 4-7/8” sides....
Then 4-3/8” should be your corner opening.

Dude, there are "guidelines". Even Brunswick, from the factory allows for + 1/8" variance. Now this is -1/8" difference, but, either way that much aint gonna change the game. If it were less that 4 3/4" then yes, not acceptable.The guy already said he was happy.

Trent from Toledo

Do you even work on pool tables?? Thought not.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Dude, there are "guidelines". Even Brunswick, from the factory allows for + 1/8" variance. Now this is -1/8" difference, but, either way that much aint gonna change the game. If it were less that 4 3/4" then yes, not acceptable.The guy already said he was happy.

Trent from Toledo

Do you even work on pool tables?? Thought not.

I agree with you Trent.
Within tolerance.
I was just curious what the corner measurements were!

So.....I have to work on tables to have an opinion?

That would mean you should not comment on the design of a pool table since you have never designed or built one?

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I agree with you Trent.
Within tolerance.
I was just curious what the corner measurements were!

So.....I have to work on tables to have an opinion?

That would mean you should not comment on the design of a pool table since you have never designed or built one?

Thing is, you dont have an opinion. You are regurgitating what you have read.
I work on them. You have zero experience.

Trent

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"You see fellas , I know what I like,I my pockets on my table, I even like the finish and looks, more importantly my wife like the looks of it and is happy.

why anyone else cares if my finish is darker or lighter doesn't bother me. i would enjoy my table if it were polka dot and lavender.

i never understood why some people criticize other peoples things. My next door neighbor told my wife that our light colored walls was out of style.Now along comes a fella who looks at my pictures and says my table is ugly or doesn't reach his exalted standards of grace and beauty

My wife tells me not to worry,these people are jerks with no manners,she knows about things like that." Deanoc

Dean,

It's really funny how some people feel the need to make fun of other people's stuff. You ever wonder why? There was a fellow in my neighborhood when I was a kid that always made fun of other people. Turns out it was because he didn't have anything at home. His dad was a drunk and his mom had to work all the time. He slept on a mattress on the floor. He hated what he had and he took it out on the folks around him. He used to lie to make himself look more important. If you said anything back to him, he wanted to fight. Like one time he had a black eye. Said, "you oughta see the other guy." Turns out it was his dad that beat him.

Losers always get attracted to something in the hopes that it will make them whole. They'll end up with a yard full of junk, or a closet full of funny colored shirts still in the cellophane. They always think they're gonna score. When they don't they try to take other people down. When they land on something they think will finally work, they jump in with both feet. Pool has been a home for a few of those guys. They find out they can't shoot. Pretty soon, they gravitate to the equipment, and before you know it, they're strung out on a mess of useless old tables sitting around in some leaky garage gathering dust and mold. But they always have a great big glorious tale to tell. I've always wondered why anybody would want a bunch of worn out "antique" tables when most of the hot sticks today want all that new fangled, shiny stuff. Ain't it kinda funny how the losers like to brag? And have you noticed how sometimes, the truth just isn't really good enough, so they'll tell a little white lie? They'll say they are gonna ignore you, but then they don't. Like I said, they'll follow you around like a three legged dog. Really, it's so sad, it borders on being pathetic. But, I guess that's "life" and that is what this thread is all about. Maybe somebody ought to run a poll to see how many millionaires there are in the pool industry. I think you are right. Must of 'em are "four flushers." They could probably make a better living and be a lot happier flipping burgers and spending time with their wives and kids, if they have any.

I like your table. I like it even more because you like it. Who cares what anybody else thinks. In fact, who in their right mind would give two rat farts for what a loser has to say?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boxcar, i hope you don't let the tukeys get you down

A guy can make a complete fool of himself and think he is getting
the best of it because he gets in the last word

It never occurs to him that one guy after another is against him
it does no good to point it out

Makes you feel sorry for them if they were not so obnoxious

he does too because without mentioning his name,he will respond
because the shoe fits

i release the floor to the know it all

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"You see fellas , I know what I like,I my pockets on my table, I even like the finish and looks, more importantly my wife like the looks of it and is happy.

why anyone else cares if my finish is darker or lighter doesn't bother me. i would enjoy my table if it were polka dot and lavender.

i never understood why some people criticize other peoples things. My next door neighbor told my wife that our light colored walls was out of style.Now along comes a fella who looks at my pictures and says my table is ugly or doesn't reach his exalted standards of grace and beauty

My wife tells me not to worry,these people are jerks with no manners,she knows about things like that." Deanoc

Dean,

It's really funny how some people feel the need to make fun of other people's stuff. You ever wonder why? There was a fellow in my neighborhood when I was a kid that always made fun of other people. Turns out it was because he didn't have anything at home. His dad was a drunk and his mom had to work all the time. He slept on a mattress on the floor. He hated what he had and he took it out on the folks around him. He used to lie to make himself look more important. If you said anything back to him, he wanted to fight. Like one time he had a black eye. Said, "you oughta see the other guy." Turns out it was his dad that beat him.

Losers always get attracted to something in the hopes that it will make them whole. They'll end up with a yard full of junk, or a closet full of funny colored shirts still in the cellophane. They always think they're gonna score. When they don't they try to take other people down. When they land on something they think will finally work, they jump in with both feet. Pool has been a home for a few of those guys. They find out they can't shoot. Pretty soon, they gravitate to the equipment, and before you know it, they're strung out on a mess of useless old tables sitting around in some leaky garage gathering dust and mold. But they always have a great big glorious tale to tell. I've always wondered why anybody would want a bunch of worn out "antique" tables when most of the hot sticks today want all that new fangled, shiny stuff. Ain't it kinda funny how the losers like to brag? And have you noticed how sometimes, the truth just isn't really good enough, so they'll tell a little white lie? They'll say they are gonna ignore you, but then they don't. Like I said, they'll follow you around like a three legged dog. Really, it's so sad, it borders on being pathetic. But, I guess that's "life" and that is what this thread is all about. Maybe somebody ought to run a poll to see how many millionaires there are in the pool industry. I think you are right. Must of 'em are "four flushers." They could probably make a better living and be a lot happier flipping burgers and spending time with their wives and kids, if they have any.

I like your table. I like it even more because you like it. Who cares what anybody else thinks. In fact, who in their right mind would give two rat farts for what a loser has to say?

Exactly!

Stan Shuffett

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't read every post.
Our clubhouse has two Brunswick drop pockets that are 5". They accept some balls that you feel shouldn't have really gone. But they also have a hard leather pieces at the back of the pockets that seem to , at times, spit the balls back out. Also they don't always accept balls hit with extreme inside English. Also the extra width makes it hard to hit balls close to the pocket with inside English as they seem to often times hit the "tit." If the tables had 4 1/2" pockets half of the guys wouldn't make a ball near as frequently as they do now but if they were not having fun making balls they would not show up each day.

5" pockets are fine. I personally would prefer 4 1/2 to 4 3/4" pockets.

Always surprises me when threads get so contentious.

Some days we hit them good some days we don't. But it is always better that we get to play. We adapt. No always right or always wrong.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't read every post.
Our clubhouse has two Brunswick drop pockets that are 5". They accept some balls that you feel shouldn't have really gone. But they also have a hard leather pieces at the back of the pockets that seem to , at times, spit the balls back out. Also they don't always accept balls hit with extreme inside English. Also the extra width makes it hard to hit balls close to the pocket with inside English as they seem to often times hit the "tit." If the tables had 4 1/2" pockets half of the guys wouldn't make a ball near as frequently as they do now but if they were not having fun making balls they would not show up each day.

5" pockets are fine. I personally would prefer 4 1/2 to 4 3/4" pockets.

Always surprises me when threads get so contentious.

Some days we hit them good some days we don't. But it is always better that we get to play. We adapt. No always right or always wrong.

Good answer! I think we can all agree to look at pocket size just like we look at cues- every person has their own preference and they are entitled to their choice. What you like is NOT a reflection of how good or bad a player you are, or how much you enjoy the game- it is just a matter of personal preference- there is no RIGHT answer!

VillageSlim

Registered
The Miz

Many moons ago I was playing in a Fla Pro Tour event. The Mr Mizerak was also in the event. During a break in the action, I asked Steve this question. If you were setting up a table in your home to be your main practice table, would you shim the pockets?

I was in the process of setting up my home table and was being told by many people that I should shim the pockets to improve my accuracy. I wanted the opinion of one of the greatest players ever.

Steve told me he would not shim the pockets for the following reason. Practicing on a difficult table will hurt your confidence. Like many sports, pool requires a positive mental attitude. Seeing balls jarring pockets is not good for your mental game. Seeing balls disappear is positive reinforcement.

Just an opinion from the one of the greatest.....

PS. I actually drew Steve in the second round.....lost 9-1....another lesson from the Miz...