Tightness of your Grip

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
How tight do you grip your cue at the butt end? Admittedly, I grip mine lightly. Not loose enough that I have a slip stroke, but more like pressure is mostly with the thumb and the index and middle finger. My ring finger and pinky touch the stick but not really gripping it. My palm barely touches the stick, if not at all.

I find that it feels more comfortable this way and smoother stroke. However, today, me and my buddy were playing at a pool hall and Granted I had a really shitty night, I was missing hangers, short straight on shots and likes. I have no idea why and even my friend is wondering if something is wrong with me. The roomowner was watching us. he was giving me pointers about my grip. He says I hold it too light. He said grip it tighter like my entire hand wrapped around it. I didn't want to disagree with him as I didn't want to offend him so I just nodded my head. It wasn't really my grip that was the problem I believe as I'm a better player than what I displayed tonight.

But my question is, am I right for not wrapping my entire hand around the butt of the cue, using three fingers for pressure? I just sort of developed playing that way and I don't even know if it's proper or not.

Any thoughts/insights?
Thanks!
 
Last edited:
teedotaj said:
How tight do you grip your cue at the butt end? Admittedly, I grip mine lightly. Not loose enough that I have a slip stroke, but more like pressure is mostly with the thumb and the index and middle finger. My ring finger and pinky touch the stick but not really gripping it. My palm barely touches the stick, if not at all.

I find that it feels more comfortable this way and smoother stroke. However, today, me and my buddy were playing at a pool hall and Granted I had a really shitty night, I was missing hangers, short straight on shots and likes. I have no idea why and even my friend is wondering if something is wrong with me. The roomowner was watching us. he was giving me pointers about my grip. He says I hold it too light. He said grip it tighter like my entire hand wrapped around it. I didn't want to disagree with him as I didn't want to offend him so I just nodded my head. It wasn't really my grip that was the problem I believe as I'm a better player than what I displayed tonight.

But my question is, am I right for not wrapping my entire hand around the butt of the cue, using three fingers for pressure? I just sort of developed playing that way and I don't even know if it's proper or not.

Any thoughts/insights?
Thanks!

Never heard of anyone holding it too lightly. I think general consensus is do what feels comfortable. I grip my cue snug during my back stroke and loosen up when coming forward. At contact, I'm barely touching the cue at all. That's the easiest way I've found to maintain a straight stroke. Straightness of stroke is your main concern. If the death grip is comfortable and gives you the straightest stroke...use it.
 
Your grip should be relaxed and comfortable, and remain constant throughout your entire stroke. The best description I have ever heard is to hold it like you would hold a baby bird...just snug enough to prevent it from getting away, but not snug enough to hurt it.

Steve
 
One of the books

I read back in early 60's said you should grip the cue like if you were grabbing someone's upper arm (bicep) area with 2 fingers and a thumb. (straight wrist).
 
teedotaj said:
How tight do you grip your cue at the butt end? Admittedly, I grip mine lightly. Not loose enough that I have a slip stroke, but more like pressure is mostly with the thumb and the index and middle finger. My ring finger and pinky touch the stick but not really gripping it. My palm barely touches the stick, if not at all.

I find that it feels more comfortable this way and smoother stroke. However, today, me and my buddy were playing at a pool hall and Granted I had a really shitty night, I was missing hangers, short straight on shots and likes. I have no idea why and even my friend is wondering if something is wrong with me. The roomowner was watching us. he was giving me pointers about my grip. He says I hold it too light. He said grip it tighter like my entire hand wrapped around it. I didn't want to disagree with him as I didn't want to offend him so I just nodded my head. It wasn't really my grip that was the problem I believe as I'm a better player than what I displayed tonight.

But my question is, am I right for not wrapping my entire hand around the butt of the cue, using three fingers for pressure? I just sort of developed playing that way and I don't even know if it's proper or not.

Any thoughts/insights?
Thanks!
you're fine. pay no attention to the guy. be sure your grip is the same when you finish your shot as when you start. when i was young and wanted to shark someone, i'd ask whats up with your grip hand ? when they said what, i'd say never mind, also ask what they looked at last CB or OB? if you start worring about your grip you're in trouble !
PS: i'm sure the guy's trying to help, but may not know what he's talking about.
 
one tip for your grip is make sure if you do use a loose grip that when you follow through to make sure you dont tighten your hand up, mostly just do what feels right to you if you feel your grip works dont read something in a book and change it as it could ruin your game.

Hope this helps.
 
hmm.. i noticed that when my grip is tighter the deflection on my cue lessen. i don't know if anyone notice this.
 
teedota...It makes no difference HOW you hold your cue...the important factors are, that the grip be comfortable, relaxed, and, most importantly, stays the same throughout the stroke. Try not to squeeze the cue, as you strike the CB, and you'll do fine!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

teedotaj said:
How tight do you grip your cue at the butt end? Admittedly, I grip mine lightly. Not loose enough that I have a slip stroke, but more like pressure is mostly with the thumb and the index and middle finger. My ring finger and pinky touch the stick but not really gripping it. My palm barely touches the stick, if not at all.

I find that it feels more comfortable this way and smoother stroke. However, today, me and my buddy were playing at a pool hall and Granted I had a really shitty night, I was missing hangers, short straight on shots and likes. I have no idea why and even my friend is wondering if something is wrong with me. The roomowner was watching us. he was giving me pointers about my grip. He says I hold it too light. He said grip it tighter like my entire hand wrapped around it. I didn't want to disagree with him as I didn't want to offend him so I just nodded my head. It wasn't really my grip that was the problem I believe as I'm a better player than what I displayed tonight.

But my question is, am I right for not wrapping my entire hand around the butt of the cue, using three fingers for pressure? I just sort of developed playing that way and I don't even know if it's proper or not.

Any thoughts/insights?
Thanks!
 
Back
Top