Tip dropping to check alignment?

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally don't do it. I take all my practice strokes as if it were the one that will hit the cue ball, but this was told to me by one of my friends as we were watching a match during a tournament. The person we were watching is normally ranked at the top, so my friend decided to tell me about his game. Dropping the tip to check alignment was the topic...

What are your thoughts on dropping the tip of your cue toward the base of the cue ball during your practice strokes to look at the reflection to check your shot alignment?

Also, if I should add a poll, what options should I list?

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren and a few other Pinoy players center their alignment by pointing their tip at the base of the CB....I should do it also not to get off line....dominant eye problem I have.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I wouldn't "drop my tip" but ... on the initial alignment of your body and cue, let the cue rest on the table if you want or make your initial cueing with the tip at the base of the CB. Align your body with the shot like this and you know your can't be off center on the CB cause at its base, there is no off center.

Then, after you are aligned simply raise your cue to the desired height and make your practice strokes in the exact spot you intend to hit.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
"Dropping the tip" as you call it. Is this where the shooter appears to be setting up to draw the ball each time he shoots? I've wondered about that myself. Could someone go over that again, please.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
It's basically for the same reason I explained. Being sure you are hitting the vertical center of the cue ball when you contact it instead of applying english by mistake. I just think you can accomplish the same result without moving your stick vertically mid stroke.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Sighting and reassurance

When you are standing upright over the shot you are computing all that needs to be done.
The contact point to pocket the ball. (square up) (Sighting in)
Where your next position is.
Obstructions etc.
English if any is required to get that position.
Type of stroke and speed to get that position.

After all that is completed, which should not take all that much time unless you have a tough play you are ready to go down on the shot.

When you drop down into the shot your cue should be 99.9 % or better in line to pocket the ball, if it isn't it is such a small adjustment it usually can't be detected unless someone is behind you staring down the cue.

From the upright position to down on the shot your perception changes.
By dropping the cue on the cloth you are basically taking it out of your sight
(YES I said that,,Out of your sight)
What that does is clears the line for your eyes to adjust to the change in perception. Your cue is already 99.9 % or 100 % in line, if not you make such a small adjustment (the thickness of hair may be all you need) it only takes a second

I do this on every shot no matter what the difficulty is. English, power, high follow, slow roll ETC...It doesn't matter
Try This...go thru your pre-shot routine, once you are down on the shot have someone take the cue out of your hand or just slide it out of your way without taking your eyes off the cue ball and object ball and not moving from your ready position...all you will see is the Cb and Ob.

You have reassured your sighting and corrected any aiming with the cue stick almost subliminally.
Sorry,long post and I didn’t cover it all, wind is up and I am not out fishing today.
This was taught to me and basically explained the same way from a few players who are no longer with us. World Champs

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's basically for the same reason I explained. Being sure you are hitting the vertical center of the cue ball when you contact it instead of applying english by mistake. I just think you can accomplish the same result without moving your stick vertically mid stroke.

I concur. I like others have a dominant eye problem and when I think that I have the cue pointed dead center of the CB, it is actually a bit off to the right and the CB squirts off to the left sending the OB to the right of where I thought.

If I place my cue tip at the base of the CB and then align to that, I am closer to actual center of the CB.:)

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I personally don't do it. I take all my practice strokes as if it were the one that will hit the cue ball, but this was told to me by one of my friends as we were watching a match during a tournament. The person we were watching is normally ranked at the top, so my friend decided to tell me about his game. Dropping the tip to check alignment was the topic...

What are your thoughts on dropping the tip of your cue toward the base of the cue ball during your practice strokes to look at the reflection to check your shot alignment?

Also, if I should add a poll, what options should I list?

Using the base of the ball is a perfectly legitimate way to make sure you're on the vertical axis, as others have pointed out. Doing it DURING your practice strokes, though? A questionable choice, IMO.

-Andrew