Tip/Ferrule/Shaft Repair (On The Side)

iLLCON

Registered
Greetings AZBers!

Consider this my very first post! I have been roaming AZBilliards for quite some time now reading thread after thread anywhere from equipment reviews, techniques to enhance my game, etc. I couldn't be more happy with the wealth of information that resides here and the knowledge base from each and every member is a real treat.

Straight to the point here... Because the town I'm from is relatively "small", we do not have a cue repair service. I have learned and picked up cue repair/care techniques here and there (mostly from AZB, might I add), but being the perfectionist that I am, I'm still unclear as to what the best methods might be. I'm SERIOUSLY considering purchasing a lathe and other equipment per suggestion so maybe in the future I can provide an "under the table" cue repair service to my community. Any ideas of where to start? Would base "cue making" books and DVDs be a good start?

P.S. Please keep in the mind that suggestions are strictly subject to tip/ferrule/shaft repair at this time.

Thank you all in advance and looking forward to being more of an active member here! Cheers. -Mark

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
check Chris Higjtowers website.
www.cuesmith.com
look around his site and see what lathe would be good for the work you would like to do.

When you get a lathe from Chris, I believe he gives you a dvd showing how to do basic repairs.

nrsnyder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As mentioned above, I would purchase Chris Hightower's Basic Cue Building & Repair DVD. It is $50 and if you buy a lathe from him, he will deduct that $50 from the lathe purchase.

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, yes... yet another victim...

It is a disease.... don't do it. you'll end up broke, divorced, and maybe even in the hospital for respiratory problems or worse... save yourself the hassle and do gardening or something like that... don't get me wrong, it is fun, at times, but there is a whole lot more to it than you will ever think...

There isn't really a whole lot to cue repair. The problem is, you will want to make a cue at some point. That's the disease. You think it is easy, and get a little further down the road and keep thinking, ya, this is easy... and next thing you know, you are 20k in the hole and then all of the sudden things are not so easy. Not to say that is the path I took ;) but I am just saying, look at your options with care.

If you ever do decide to do it, pay someone like Bill Stroud, Jennifer Prather, Dennis Dieckman to teach you and get a feel for it first before you ever make your first purchase towards equipment.

Good Luck, man...

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
Check out the cuesmith line of lathes, then for god sakes snap out of it !! It's s never ending disease of epic proportions that has a continuous learning curve with no end to it in site......I personally love it, but I'm not right in the head lol

iLLCON

Registered
Thank you all for the replies. This is all great information and just what I'm looking for. Time to shop around and get some plans set in stone for next year!

Shiftysmooth

Just The Tip cue repairs
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you're the only guy around, prepare to spend a lot of free time doing cues lol! I live in a town of 5000 in the summer that turns into 20000 the rest of the year (Lawrence, KS, home of KU). Im the only repair guy around, and with a full time job and a 2 year old, I stay busy.

Best pieces of advice I can give is find a good pace for yourself, and pleasing customers is one thing, rushing jobs to please them is another. And when you get your first setup, spend at least a couple months before working on something besides you or your friends cues. Buy a box of lepros and some 1/2" dowel rod and just do tips over and over until you think you got it, then do it some more. That first "real" customers cue you do will be a bit nerve racking, but stick with it. I love the work!

Kris