Tip to sellers

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
If you have an item to sell, and you are posting it for sale in this section, please include the price within the post. Don't say that the price is posted somewhere else, especially if you can't be bothered with at least including a link to the location. Posting here to go find it in the For Sale section is an effort in futility, especially without a link :shrug:

If you want to maximize your sale(s), include the following (please)

- Accurate definition and description of function
- Pictures (if you have the ability) or a link to pics if you don't have your own
- Price

The best way to compile a for sale post would be to use a word processor program like MS Word, Notepad or Wordpad, something with spell check would be nice :) This way you can proofread your post and make appropriate corrections prior to posting.

Honestly, if anyone selling items on this forum can't take the time to at least post pics and prices within the post then they are doing everyone a disservice, including themselves.

So, as a potential customer, thanks for listening :)

Regards,
Frank

Last edited:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
If you have an item to sell, and you are posting it for sale in this section, please include the price within the post. Don't say that the price is posted somewhere else, especially if you can't be bothered with at least including a link to the location. Posting here to go find it in the For Sale section is an effort in futility, especially without a link :shrug:

If you want to maximize your sale(s), include the following (please)

- Accurate definition and description of function
- Pictures (if you have the ability) or a link to pics if you don't have your own
- Price

The best way to compile a for sale post would be to use a word processor program like MS Word, Notepad or Wordpad, something with spell check would be nice :) This way you can proofread your post and make apropriate corrections prior to posting.

Honestly, if anyone selling items on this forum can't take the time to at least post pics and prices within the post then they are doing everyone a disservice, including themselves.

So, as a potential customer, thanks for listening :)

Regards,
Frank

I here you FranK!!!!!!!!!:thumbup: I also agree with you Buddy:smile:

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I here you FranK!!!!!!!!!:thumbup: I also agree with you Buddy:smile:

Include me. If I click on a for sale post I glance for the price before I even read the post. No price - no read no further.

Dick

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Frank,
I agree 110%.
What you are suggesting should be a 'given'.
If you are posting something for sale, your post is a representative of you the person. If you can't take the time to edit, spell correctly and use proper punctuation, what does that say about you or your product(s)?
Is there also a lack of attention to detail in what you're selling?
You only get one shot to do it right the first time. There are no second chances with first impressions.

I was teased/made fun of, in a thread that I participated in once because I admitted that it sometimes takes me an hour or more (maybe two) to compose my posts. Notice that I said 'compose' because that is exactly what I do.
I enjoy writing very much. I just wish that I had more time for it. But what time that I can devote should be spent with thought and effort towards the best presentation that I can offer. In a sense, I look at it as striving for and contributing to, ultimately, a better community. Is that maybe too idealistic or is the status-quo sufficient?
These writings are all the interaction and identity that we have on here. Couple that with the fact that this is the world's stage with regards to exposure in the Billiards Community. Why would you NOT want to show your best, right out of the box?

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
"How To" Tips, part #1

Ok, the first thing I want to say here is that I understand this is basically a pool hall and I realize that some people posting here spent more time in the pool hall than school. I’m not here to judge anyone’s life decisions and I’m definitely not trying to make fun of anyone, just trying to help out. I realize that computers and the internet are not the easiest things to grasp and can even be downright daunting. Just ask my Dad :)

I’m also not professing to know it all or be the Computer Professor, but hopefully I can help out with a few tips.

Copy and Paste:

When you want to copy text that has already been provided, such as a link to a manufacturers website or a post somewhere in the forum, you can use the Copy/Paste function. The easiest way is to Left Click and Hold your mouse button at the start or end of the desired text, then drag the cursor (still holding the left button) over the entire desired text. Once the text is highlighted, hover your pointer over the highlighted text and Right Click. A small screen will pop up with several options to choose from, two of which are Copy and Paste. Choose Copy and the highlighted text will be copied to an invisible clipboard of sorts. You can then Paste the copied text most anywhere, like the Search Window, Navigation Window in your browser, an Email or even a Post. Just put your cursor in the desired window or location, Left Click to anchor the cursor, then Right Click and select Paste from the pop up window. It may take some practice for the novice user but is a very important tool to learn.

Another way to Copy and Paste:

Click your cursor at the start or end of the desired text, press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard, then use the Arrow keys (between the number keys on the right side of the keyboard and Alphabet keys) to highlight the text. You can go up or down to copy entire lines of text or you can go left or right to copy single digits at a time. Once the desired text is highlighted, press Ctrl-C, (both keyboard buttons at the same time). This will perform the Copy function. Left Click your cursor in the desired location, then press Ctrl-V (both keyboard buttons at the same time). This will Paste the text. Once you get used to it, it is a more precise and quicker way to use the Copy and Paste functions.

Composing a Post:

As was mentioned by KJ, it is very important to create a good first impression (and you really only do get one chance at it). This forum doesn’t have spell check, at least I can’t find it, but most email editors do. I good tip would be to compose your post within your email editor first. This can even be done offline. Once you’re happy with what’s written, use the email editors Spell Check function to fix any errors. Once that’s done, you can use the Copy/Paste function (noted previously) to copy the text from the email into the New Post window. Another good reason for doing it this way is that you can have a hard copy (an email to yourself) saved on your local system for future use or reference.

Posting a Link:

A link is an internet address to another location, such as http://www.google.com/
If you are on a web page that you want to share with the AZB community, say an article on the BCA website banning phenolic tips on break cues, simply highlight the text in your browser bar (small window, usually at the top of your screen) and use the Copy/Paste function. Copy it from the browser and Paste it in the New Post window. Once done anyone can click the Link and go directly to that page without any guesswork or searching.

Last edited:

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
"How To" Tips, part #2: Posting Pictures

Here's a few tips on posting pictures.

In the "Post Reply" screen or the "Go Advanced" post editor screen is the "Manage Attachments" button. Click it.

Attachments

• pic1.JPG
    pic1.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
Posting Pictures #2

After "Manage Attachments" is clicked, this window pops up....select "Browse". This will pop up a directory on your computer for you to navigate to your picture file.
Please note the "Max Filesize" for the different filetypes. All pictures posted to this forum must be less than or equal to this criteria.

Attachments

• pic2.JPG
    pic2.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
Posting pictures #3

Select the picture file by double clicking. Make sure it fits the size criteria as posted by the forum (hover your mouse over the file and the file info window should pop up). Once selected, click the "Open" button.
(More on sizing pictures in the next tip)

Attachments

• pic3.JPG
    pic3.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
Posting pictures #4

After you've selected "Open" (from the previous window) this screen will pop up. Select the "Upload" button first. Once the file has been uploaded, as verified by your picture file name in the "Current Attachments" location in the window (pic1.JPEG in this case) you can select the "Close this window" selection. This will take you back to the familiar "Edit Post" or "New Post" screen. All you have to do then is click the "Save Changes" or "Post Reply" button.
Your picture should display within the post, at least with the current forum settings.

Attachments

• pic4.JPG
    pic4.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
"How To" Tips, part #3: Editing Pictures #1

If your pictures are too big to post to the forum (100kb max filesize), here is a way you can edit your photos to make them fit the size criteria. This particular method requires that you have "Paint". This is a Microsoft application that comes standard in all Windows operating systems. There are several other applications that will work, this just happens to be how I do it.

"Paint" can be found here: Start/All Programs/Accessories/Paint (this is on my Windows XP OS)

Attachments

• edit1.JPG
    edit1.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
editing pictures #2

Once the picture is opened in Paint, there are a couple of ways to make the file small enough to fit the forum criteria. You can either make the entire picture smaller or you can pick a smaller portion of the picture, thus making the file smaller.

Here's how you can make the entire picture smaller:

Go to the top menu bar in Paint, select the "Image" pull down menu, then select "Stretch/Skew".

Attachments

• edit3.jpg
    edit3.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
editing pictures #3

In the "Stretch" window, put in a value less than 100%. If your file is big then a value of around 50% may be a good place to start. Select OK and your picture will reduce in size. Save it under another file name so as to not alter the original full size picture. You can then check it in your Windows Explorer window to see the file size. Play around with the percentage value, but make sure the Horizontal and Vertical values are equal or you'll end up with squished looking pictures :)

Attachments

• edit4.jpg
    edit4.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
editing pictures #4

Sometimes you don't need the entire picture, so cropping the picture to show only what's needed can make the file small enough as well. Here is a method for cropping using Paint.

Once the picture is opened in paint, select the rectangular "Select" option (see red oval, top left). This will allow you to select an area by Left Clicking from a start point in the picture, and dragging (hold the left button) diagonally across the picture to create a frame. Then Right Click and select Cut (remember the Copy/Paste tip? Cut is simillar. Copy will also work). This will cut the selected rectangle and copy it to your invivsible clipboard. Next select "New" from the File pull down menu (top left). Right Click and select Paste. This will paste the cropped picture, select Save As from the File pull down menu and give it a new name. With any luck, the new picture will have a small enough file size to fit the forum criteria.

Attachments

• Crop1.JPG
    Crop1.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
Alright, sorry for such a long winded tutorial, and many here may know how to do these things already, but for those that are self taught or need some pointers I hope this helps.

And like I said, I mean no disrespect to anyone for not knowing how to do these things or for anyones level of education or knowledge, we are only human afterall, I just hope these tips can benefit people. If it in any way improves the atmosphere around here then all the better.

Thanks for looking! :thumbup:

Regards,
Frank