Tips for beginners?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I highlighted your words in RED, you are dead wrong

Then we are going to have to agree to disagree.

You cannot teach every person in the world and expect EVERY single one of them to become good pool players. Not only have I personally spent the last 6 years working my butt off trying to improve/learn this complicated game, I have also spent countless hours in my younger days trying to be good at other things. I tried (hard) to learn to play the guitar, but my fingers and brain just couldn't get-r-done. What my right hand does, my left hand wants to do the same (or vice versa). I cannot type for the same reason. I also do not think you could teach everyone in the world how to be a good guitar player either. There would be many (such as I) that simply could not accomplish it no matter how bad they wanted it or tried.

Getting back to pool, there are simply aspects of the game that some people could never get the hang of. Maybe the geometrical aspect. Maybe the physics involved with ball collisions. Possibly the needed hand-to-eye coordination. Some people just make bad judgemental decisions that hamper their game (common sense???). Then there are the multitudes of others that simply lack the physical skills needed to become good poolplayers. Eyesight, stamina, coordination, etc. Then, there are the people that are just to plain too hard-headed to be taught the right way. They want to learn. They want to improve. But they just seem to shy away from teaching that is good or correct. How many times have you heard this statement: "That kid/person is unteachable"?

So I am going to say again that SOME people just cannot "get there" no matter what they do or how hard they work at it, and stand by it. You used yourself as an example of why I am "dead wrong", but you are only one of billions of people living on this giant orb called Earth. OTOH, I am one of those that CANNOT, for whatever reasons, get good no matter how hard I try, and I certainly fall into the category of "some people".

Best of luck to you too, my friend!!!

Maniac

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't believe there are any "secrets". Everything you need to know is simple, straightforward and makes common sense. Most of the "secrets" we hear about are misunderstood and for sale.

pj
chgo

i know you are going to get made at me and put me in your ignore list, I really do not know how wealth is your pool knowledge for sure it is high up there in the 99% range. Could it be you have not discovered all the the immense knowledge pool has that is not many people know, the secrets or way advance knowledge, or possibly know it all but cannot tie some of those secrets together ! I for sure an Engineer, with many advance college degrees, for last 20 years i did not see it, until i brought the table home; sure Dr. Dave site was undeniably great, as well as AZB site but it is scattered all over it took me few years to tie the knot..I wish i hired you long time ago i would have saved myself lots of years.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree completely. If you develop as a player all by yourself you might "miss" some knowledge you'd acquire if you were taught by an instructor, but at the same time you learn unique skills and tricks other players could never teach you. You adapt the game of pool to your own capabilities, way of thinking, shooting etc. You become aware of your strenghts and weaknesses and your experience in development allows you to instinctively notice "flaws" in your opponent's game. One more thing: players who were taught by instructors mostly play by well-known and predictable patterns. With time, you'll learn to recognize those patterns and counter them. On the other hand, your playstyle is unique and your opponents will know nothing about it, no matter how good they are. They won't be able to predict your next move, know what shots you're more likely to hit, and they won't have a clue about your way of thinking and planning. They'll be unsure about what to play next and what they should be afraid of, which inevitably leads to un unstable defense. When you combine all of that, you can deliver a big surprise in every match which will utterly shock your opponent and leave them on the back foot from the start.

I wouldn't define a better player by pocketing ability. Their precision in CB control and pocketing is only their technical skill. However, there is also a strategic aspect of the game, and the ability to "abuse" laws of probability. All those aspects are responsible for your win/loss ratio. That would lead to the conclusion that the better player is the one with more victories in matches.

What game are you talking about, if it is 8,9, or 10 ball, at advance level those that pocket balls better tends to win, but luck is a big factor too. look at the recent Japan tourney, Dennis beat Alex 11-2 , SVB was almost winning until last game he lost!
One pocket i agree strategy plays a role, and knowing you opponent helps a little for few games and they you know each other in no time.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then we are going to have to agree to disagree.

You cannot teach every person in the world and expect EVERY single one of them to become good pool players. Not only have I personally spent the last 6 years working my butt off trying to improve/learn this complicated game, I have also spent countless hours in my younger days trying to be good at other things. I tried (hard) to learn to play the guitar, but my fingers and brain just couldn't get-r-done. What my right hand does, my left hand wants to do the same (or vice versa). I cannot type for the same reason. I also do not think you could teach everyone in the world how to be a good guitar player either. There would be many (such as I) that simply could not accomplish it no matter how bad they wanted it or tried.

Getting back to pool, there are simply aspects of the game that some people could never get the hang of. Maybe the geometrical aspect. Maybe the physics involved with ball collisions. Possibly the needed hand-to-eye coordination. Some people just make bad judgemental decisions that hamper their game (common sense???). Then there are the multitudes of others that simply lack the physical skills needed to become good poolplayers. Eyesight, stamina, coordination, etc. Then, there are the people that are just to plain too hard-headed to be taught the right way. They want to learn. They want to improve. But they just seem to shy away from teaching that is good or correct. How many times have you heard this statement: "That kid/person is unteachable"?

So I am going to say again that SOME people just cannot "get there" no matter what they do or how hard they work at it, and stand by it. You used yourself as an example of why I am "dead wrong", but you are only one of billions of people living on this giant orb called Earth. OTOH, I am one of those that CANNOT, for whatever reasons, get good no matter how hard I try, and I certainly fall into the category of "some people".

Best of luck to you too, my friend!!!

Maniac

1st before i make another mistake of assuming, i did assume you are fit for the game and have no physical limitations? if that is true, you have not gotten with someone that really knows the advance knowledge of the game, of where you will say oh my GOD how come i did not know this or that? those little knowledge will take you all the way up in no time, trust me. I am not an instructor, i would have said let me show you, but who knows we will meet maybe and will show you or judge your mistakes!
The problem with pool is the multiple levels of errors causing and the many possibilities of which makes it really hard to determine why you miss, but at very advance level you start to narrow down those possibilities and start improve. I normally do not talk about position play until you master precision pocketing with any kind of english, speed, role and stun at that time position play becomes easier due to the many options of CB directions and not just limited to one or two ways of how to make a ball.

I

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
1st before i make another mistake of assuming, i did assume you are fit for the game and have no physical limitations? if that is true, you have not gotten with someone that really knows the advance knowledge of the game, of where you will say oh my GOD how come i did not know this or that? those little knowledge will take you all the way up in no time, trust me. I am not an instructor, i would have said let me show you, but who knows we will meet maybe and will show you or judge your mistakes!
The problem with pool is the multiple levels of errors causing and the many possibilities of which makes it really hard to determine why you miss, but at very advance level you start to narrow down those possibilities and start improve. I normally do not talk about position play until you master precision pocketing with any kind of english, speed, role and stun at that time position play becomes easier due to the many options of CB directions and not just limited to one or two ways of how to make a ball.

I

FTR, I have had lessons from the very person you will be shooting pool with in a few hours. I learned all that I could from him in those whirlwind three days and when incorporated into my game, my play is better.

Also FTR, I DO have physical limitations. Poor eyesight (yes, even with glasses), degenerated discs in my neck, chronic back spasms, two bad shoulders (one with 15% range-of motion). And.....I'm ugly too :eek:!!!

I know many, many persons that are healthy that you probably couldn't teach any farther than rank amateur speed.

Maniac (have fun this afternoon!!!)

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A guy comes her looking for help, gets too much, and the resident posters turn it into p***ing contests, and a dating site. :D

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FTR, I have had lessons from the very person you will be shooting pool with in a few hours. I learned all that I could from him in those whirlwind three days and when incorporated into my game, my play is better.

Also FTR, I DO have physical limitations. Poor eyesight (yes, even with glasses), degenerated discs in my neck, chronic back spasms, two bad shoulders (one with 15% range-of motion). And.....I'm ugly too :eek:!!!

I know many, many persons that are healthy that you probably couldn't teach any farther than rank amateur speed.

Maniac (have fun this afternoon!!!)

1st i do apologize if i offended you in any way, i am really sorry you have those limitations, and wish you over come them, i wish i meet with you one day and give you all i have for free and not just talk.
Best of luck to you.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Yeah, but this is post number 129. Don't you think he got all the rea,l useful information he needed in the first, say 20 or 30 posts?

After that, a thread will usually turn into casual conversation.

Another thing, what did post #126 and #128 have to offer this thread???

Maniac (enjoys the conversation or else he wouldn't open this thread again ;))

ignomirello

Tony IGGY
Silver Member
Welcome to the game!

Hello guys, I've just come to love billiards 3 months ago. I've been playing every weekend ever since but can't seem to take my level a notch higher. Any tips for beginners like me?

Thank you very much :)

Welcome to the game!

Don't just bang balls around.

Do practice drills, Read books, Watch video's, Find an instructor & start playing in tournaments.

Playing in tournament's is cheap learning & you will meet alot of good people :)

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a story I may post depending on comments on a previous post. {not mine} We'll see what develops.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Games are supposed to be first and foremost.....FUN.

Whatever you do make sure you ENJOY the Game. After all, Games are supposed to be first and foremost.....FUN. :smile:
my-advice-would-be-just-enjoy-the-game-basketball-quote.jpg