Tips for players with a 314 shaft

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The same tip you like on any other shift…

I never quite understood why people would want different tips based on the shaft, the tip is like half the hit feel of the cue, so if you like the hit feel of a tip (which is also 100% personal preference), it's best to keep the same tip on all the shafts. I was never one to put much weight into suggestions of others for things that are almost 100% personal. I don't care if 40 people tell me to try the fish at a restaurant if I don't like fish LOL. Fit and finish on a cue or shaft, that is not subjective, it's either good, OK or bad, deflection of a cue also not subjective, it's either low, medium or high, it's just material technology. How a hit feel is or how well someone can pocket balls with a cue, 100% personal preference and shooting style, no outside opinion will help. All those posts about "what cue, etc.. to get" I think serve to cause more confusion than solve anything since you just get 30 different opinions. The only reasonable way to find a thing a person will like is just to have experience with a lot of items, suggestions may help rule out some things that are known to be "bad" but won't help with picking from the dozens that are "good".

Nyquil

I should have clarified more I guess. I want to go with a softer tip but one that doesn't mushroom easily. That's why the sniper was top of the list. I don't have a bunch a shafts and tips laying around to experiment and no shop in the entire state. Going off feedback that's all.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I should have clarified more I guess. I want to go with a softer tip but one that doesn't mushroom easily. That's why the sniper was top of the list. I don't have a bunch a shafts and tips laying around to experiment and no shop in the entire state. Going off feedback that's all.

Last few tips I had were pretty random brands, and the only time I have had one mushroom was when it was installed poorly. Best soft tip, that stayed soft, that I have used was the KiTech Soft from Outsville. It was almost magic, the hardness stayed the same for months, and it never needed shaping, but does need some careful installation, I know several people that messed it up due to using a not so sharp tool or using the wrong rpm on the lathe.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never quite understood why people would want different tips based on the shaft, the tip is like half the hit feel of the cue, so if you like the hit feel of a tip (which is also 100% personal preference), it's best to keep the same tip on all the shafts. I was never one to put much weight into suggestions of others for things that are almost 100% personal. I don't care if 40 people tell me to try the fish at a restaurant if I don't like fish LOL. Fit and finish on a cue or shaft, that is not subjective, it's either good, OK or bad, deflection of a cue also not subjective, it's either low, medium or high, it's just material technology. How a hit feel is or how well someone can pocket balls with a cue, 100% personal preference and shooting style, no outside opinion will help. All those posts about "what cue, etc.. to get" I think serve to cause more confusion than solve anything since you just get 30 different opinions. The only reasonable way to find a thing a person will like is just to have experience with a lot of items, suggestions may help rule out some things that are known to be "bad" but won't help with picking from the dozens that are "good".
Ditto. I thought that going with some softer tip would balance out the feel of the Revo. Hated it. So I switched to my regular: Triangle. No issues.

And you’re right. Outside opinions absolutely don’t help

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used sniper as my playing tip for 10 years. I super liked it. I was doing cue repair at the time and installed them myself on all my Predator shafts. They held their shape great.

Now, I haven’t touched my cue lathe in 10 years, and have been using whatever tip came on my newer Predator shafts. I got used to them the same:)

Nyquil

I used sniper as my playing tip for 10 years. I super liked it. I was doing cue repair at the time and installed them myself on all my Predator shafts. They held their shape great.

Now, I haven’t touched my cue lathe in 10 years, and have been using whatever tip came on my newer Predator shafts. I got used to them the same:)
I put a sniper on another shaft. I really like it. The kamue brown soft clear I have on now is miscue city. Going with sniper. It's an awesome tip

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I use Triangles on my main playing shafts (which are not my 314's), but I have Snipers on some of my shafts and it is my favorite laminated tip.

tomatoshooter

I'm a bit surprised at how many people like the Triangles. I just installed one and agree, but it seems like multi layer soft and medium tips are popular nowadays. I just love that crisp hit.

dendweller

I'm a bit surprised at how many people like the Triangles. I just installed one and agree, but it seems like multi layer soft and medium tips are popular nowadays. I just love that crisp hit.
I've used mostly triangles for ages, weird thing is, I don't find them hard. That is, unless I press them and burnish the crap our of them, then they are hard and ruined.

dendweller

I put a sniper on another shaft. I really like it. The kamue brown soft clear I have on now is miscue city. Going with sniper. It's an awesome tip
I'd make sure the kamui is shaped like the sniper before deciding the tip type is prone to miscue.

tomatoshooter

I've used mostly triangles for ages, weird thing is, I don't find them hard. That is, unless I press them and burnish the crap our of them, then they are hard and ruined.
I haven't tried a bunch of different tips but this Triangle is noticeably harder than the Le Professional I had before, which was harder than the Elkmaster before that. I wanted to go through the the range to get a frame of reference. It does seem like some of the tips fluffed up and looked like suede when I scuffed them and some didn't, there seems to be some variation.