Tips for pool commentators?

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What tips do you have for pool commentators? My biggest complaint is any distraction from the match at hand while players are at the table. Pro pool matches when viewed live can be very suspenseful and exciting. Try and convey that excitement and limit discussion to shots at hand for the most part and save other discussions and plugs for sponsors for between racks.

This is not criticism directed at any particular person or people. This is a big problem even on televised matches. And I appreciate the work done by streamers bringing us live pool on the internet.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Right now I am watching Galveston and listening to Joey A and Jay and have to say they are doing a good job and are knowledgeable of the game. For 9 ball if something funny happens I can see commentators mentioning stuff but for the most part we all know what to do because of the game but perhaps not all people do. :smile:

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try to be less monotone and more like Jim Wyche. Sp? Build the suspense like he does.

GG11

Kill the Bunny
Silver Member
I wish there was more feedback about the commentators being used for the live streams so thank you for starting this thread!

The chat room option at least allows the commentators to interact with listeners to see what needs to be disclosed, what information they want to hear, ask questions, etc. It's a fantastic advantage of live pool streams to pre-recorded events.

As for what's being discussed during a match. I've done commentary a number of times now and for the most part, people tell me that a relatively even mix of match discussion and commentary ad-lib is enjoyable, especially if the commentators know some personal insights into the players. I would image that some would enjoy focusing on the match more than the fluff, while others like the stories more ... so a balance of the two seems to accommodate both. Except in the final rack, especially at hill/hill, match talk only! lol

In general, the sponsor shout outs & pool news info is reserved more to in between racks (unless a specific product is used in match & then of course it makes sense to give the propage.)

Lastly, it seems to work best when I'm in the booth with a player that is a much higher skill level than myself as there's a representation of Pro/Semi-Pro & Amateur which enables quality Q&A about the presented situation in the commentated match from both perspectives.

And for the amateurs that are doing commentary, don't be afraid to ask questions and guess wrong! It shows everyone out there is WWW land that they are human too! :)

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed listening to the interaction between JoeyA, Jay and the viewers. It is better than television because it is "live." Pehaps a third moderator / commentator could be helpful just to monitor the net and feed to the on-air commentators interesting queries and comments.

I also enjoyed the commentary based on their experience. JoeyA and Jay both made comments that help those of us who do not play a lot of one pocket to understand the subtlies of the game. This too made it worth watching. Nothing like learning while sitting at the feet of the masters.

In the midst of all this they kept it professional and tactfully ignored the verbal garbage.

I think that live streaming is a new medium that has it own advantages (that need to be exploited) and some disadvantages that are being worked on.

Many people could take a lesson from JoeyA and Jay, some brilliant work in Galveston. :)

Last edited:

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The third man (moderator) in the booth could also delete offensive stuff as needed. Might create a little lag but could be worth it. Just something to look into.

Once in a while it would be good to see a shot of the commentators. Somewhat like what is done with white boards in some educational settings. Perhaps a jpeg in a small window could be used.

Perhaps a linked web page about the players and commentators would be of use for those who need an introduction.

I think sponsors could make a few points by having a raffle of one of their products for the viewers. I noted over 500 viewers at Galveston. Lots of opportunities there.

BTW Thanks for starting the thread. This too is a good idea. Viewer input could help to stimulate the medium.

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Try to be less monotone and more like Jim Wyche. Sp? Build the suspense like he does.

True, but one should think carefully before going to the extent of a Sid Waddell, or that football (soccer, in U.S. parts) commentator that goes "Goooooooaaaaaaaaaaaal!!!"

Some of the quotes that Sid Wadell comes up with, are *really* out there! :D

-Sean

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching the ESPN WPBA 9 ball tourney on Sunday. During the match, and while the player was lining up a shot, the cameral would switch over to the color commentator (Jeanette Lee in this instance) and she would ask a friend of the player about the player. This happened several times during the match. Why not wait until a game is over and then switch to the color commentator. This happens a lot on ESPN. Can someone please tell Eva and her husband (and Jeanette) how distracting this can be.

abbassi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Knowledgable pool players and those with interest in the game want to hear knoweldgable commentators.

Pool games can have periods of boredom and a good commentator can give his ideas about certain shots, paths, english, pcts. etc

They can also introduce anectodes of past games and experiences etc.

I just dont like commentaators who are silly and offer nothing but BS about what they ate the nite before.

I also dont like commentators that just give the obvious facts ie: "its 5-4 now" or " good shot". "So and so is breaking", to me that is not commentating.

The voice has to be right and not hurt the ears.

Just my 2 cents. I liked Joey A., Danny D., Grady, Jimmy W., Hillbilly was pretty good with his views. I recall hearing Jay H. in Derby City and he was good. Fred Agnir was pretty good. Billy I. is good, Shaun P.

I hope i did not leave anyone out, i am sure I did and apologize beforehand.

poolsnark

Clique Wannabe
Silver Member
Try to keep in mind that matches on ESPN are for the masses and not really targeted at the hardcore player. This is one of the reasons why those godawful trick shot shows draw well. I'm not saying that the commentating doesn't need help (because it does), but whenever you see something and ask yourself "why the hell are they doing that", think about it from the perspective of the banger who plays a few racks every few months and it might make more sense.

Pool on TV needs color commentators. The problem is that Jeanette isn't a good color commentator (which strikes me as odd considering how many stories she probably has). Do it like any other sport. One person talks technical and the other spins yarns.