Tips, Tips, and Tips Revisited

vader93490

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rhncue said:
If this is the reason that you don't like them then I would give them another try as they are a very good tip especialy for the price. I can understand your reluctance as I'm the same way when I have a bad experiance with anything however they do have a good guaranty.
Dick

Dick, I have absolutely no intention of buying another Talisman tip. I would have considered it with having one tip going bad, but having two go bad in the exact same manner indicates to me that it's just not worth a re-investment. The last Talisman tip I bought was put on about 3-4 months ago.

So far the Stratos tip I had put on seems to be working quite well. The price is comparable to the Talisman with about a 50 cent price difference between the two of them in the current Mueller's catalog. Perhaps you should give the Stratos a try and see what you think.

like2play

Registered
tips

Fred Agnir said:
I think maybe you just haven't been paying attention.

Do a search on tips. Also, the September 2004 issue of InsidePOOL Magazine has an article on tips.

Fred <~~~ still using Triangle tips
glad to see someone with sense. why do all major cue makers instal non -layered tips on their cues????????? to save $5.00 on a $1000.00 cue ????????
maybe they think they(non-layered) tips make their cues perform better. i certainly do. why would you want to trust cue ball control to hitting it with dried glue. this is what happens on off center hits with layered tips. the glue is what holds the layers together. or at least it is supposed to hold them together. my experience is that as time goes on they all delaminate. first you start missing when you shouldn't only a little at first then more often until a layer finally falls off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i certainly agree with one champion who can without question have anything he wants installed on his cue. according to his web site Johnny Archer...!!!!!!!!! time to get off my soap box. jmo icbw

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
like2play,

As i said before, i like Sumo, and also Moori, Triangle and WB's.

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited:

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
I myself i swear up n down that a Moori Med tip is the best 30$ i spent for a tip.

I switched to Moori right before Memorial Day, and i could instantly tell the difference in how the tip played, and the kinda english that was being apply'd.

Now the shaft for my Espiritu came with a Waterbuffalo, and omg it is the hardest tip i have ever played with. I think i used that tip for 2 days, just to see how it played and felt, before having it removed.

At that time back in April, i switched to Triumph tips, instead of Le-pro.

And used Triumph for about two months before finally going to Moori. I have stuck with Moori since then, and love the tip.

I will say that when i get a second shaft for my Espiritu i am leaving the WaterBuffalo tip on there, just incase.

Also the WB tips are great for breaking. And i doubt they will ever mushroom lol.

dave

like2play

Registered
BiG_JoN said:
like2play,

Just what do you think holds a "non-layered" tip together?
They are nothing but ground up leather glued and compacted into shape.

As i said before, i like Sumo, and also Moori, Triangle and WB's.

Thanks,

Jon
jon
you are correct lepro and triangle are ground leather held together with glue my point was that as the layered tip wears you can see a wide (comparitively) area of just glue between the layers that will contact the cue ball on off center hits.

Last edited:

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
I know everyone dogs Elk Masters tips, but I really like the feel that it gives me. I recently put a LePro on my cue, and I'm switching back.

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
I shot with Talisman WB mediums for a couple of years. I liked how they played but they just seemed to wear out too fast for my liking. Seemed like every 6-8 weeks I had to re-tip... and that seemed too often (although I play on average 15 - 20 hrs/wk).

I have since switched to Talisman PRO mediums... and my initial impression was the PRO medium was giving me a firmer hit than the WB medium... and thus far, I'm getting less wear on the PROs for about the same amount of playing time, which is what I was hoping for.

Interesting enough though, according to Tony Jones of Talisman, his local players in Thailand have advised him that the WBs hit firmer than do the PROs, although he acknowledged that not everybody agreed.

BTW, I'm shooting a custom cue with a P314 shaft.

like2play

Registered
Charlie Edwards said:
like2play said:
jon
you are correct lepro and triangle are ground leather held together with glue my point was that as the layered tip wears you can see a wide (comparitively) area of just glue between the layers that will contact the cue ball on off center hits.
like[/QUOTE

This is an eMail I recently received from Tweeten (makers of LePro and Triangle tips):

"Every tip we make is a solid whole piece of leather. We do NOT make anything that is reconstitued, layered, ground, glued, etc. All of our leather is select bends of water buffalo (always has been) that is not available to anyone else in the world. This leather is processed exclusively for us.

I know there has been rumors that we grind leather up and make slurry then use a cookie cutter or something. Not so.

To make it simple when we are done preparing the leather we punch out every single tip from a full piece of leather." Signed: Skip at Tweeten

At a later time, I will post a report on some hardness tests I've made on several brands of tips. Including Moori, Triangle, LePro, and Sumo. They were all done using a Rockwell scale type D durometer, attached to a very advanced stand.

Charlie Edwards

thanks for the info charlie i am willing to stand corrected.

F

Fred Agnir

BiG_JoN said:
like2play,

Just what do you think holds a "non-layered" tip together?
They are nothing but ground up leather glued and compacted into shape.
No they're not. I think you needed to read the article.

Fred

F

Fred Agnir

like2play said:
jon
you are correct lepro and triangle are ground leather held together with glue

This is ABSOLUTELY FALSE. Who makes up this crap??? It does nothing but hurt the industry.

Fred

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Charlie Edwards said:
(snip)
At a later time, I will post a report on some hardness tests I've made on several brands of tips. Including Moori, Triangle, LePro, and Sumo. They were all done using a Rockwell scale type D durometer, attached to a very advanced stand.

Charlie Edwards

Oh sure, Charlie, confuse us with the facts... :cool:

There is still the glue that holds the tip on the stick. :eek:

Welcome to the board and I look forward to the hardness tests you mentioned.

Jeff Livingston

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
Fred Agnir said:
No they're not. I think you needed to read the article.

Fred
I'm sorry Fred.
I stand corrected.

As to who makes up this crap, I have no idea.