To glue it to staple?

DeeDeeCues

Time has just about come to install cloth on my GCI.

It may sound crazy, but there are very few staple holes in the table. I know it the table say for at least six years without being used. It looks like it has only been covered the times in its life.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but what is the consensus, glue or staples?

Thanks!

DeeDeeCues

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Do you know if anyone sells it in a modem format? I'm not even positive I own a working DVD player.
Not that I know of. Do you own a computer with a dvd/ cd reader on it?

TFT

P.s. someone should make an updated video for sure, I was making plans to and that never amounted to anything. Takes a lot of time and $$ to make one right and getting people to help is not easy.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Sure I own a computer with a DVD drive. Still not positive it works.
Worse case scenario, you can pick up an external DVD player on newegg, amazon, maybe even walmart. They just plug into your PC with a usb cable. Many computers no longer have DVD drives and this is a solution. Luckily they are under $20, I think the one my buddy bought a year ago was $12 and it worked flawlessly.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
It's easier to get the cloth tight and straight with the glue method. Pulling staples sucks, so your next recover will be easier too.
Just watch Jonas' video on youtube, Glen taught him.
Your stretch index will vary, he doesn't pull it as tight as I like.
Nothing wrong with using a combination of the two, it's nice to anchor a few spots with staples even when using the glue if you have backer boards.

DeeDeeCues

Worse case scenario, you can pick up an external DVD player on newegg, amazon, maybe even walmart. They just plug into your PC with a usb cable. Many computers no longer have DVD drives and this is a solution. Luckily they are under $20, I think the one my buddy bought a year ago was $12 and it worked flawlessly.

I'm sure I can get access to a working DVD player in minutes. I just want to grouse about it not being in my favorite format.

Get off my lawn you darn kids!

DeeDeeCues

It's easier to get the cloth tight and straight with the glue method. Pulling staples sucks, so your next recover will be easier too.
Just watch Jonas' video on youtube, Glen taught him.
Your stretch index will vary, he doesn't pull it as tight as I like.
Nothing wrong with using a combination of the two, it's nice to anchor a few spots with staples even when using the glue if you have backer boards.

Thanks!

DeeDeeCues

I've got a stapler, I've got my Gorina cloth. My rubber feels right. I'll have bigger pockets than desired, but I also haven't hit a single ball in over two years, so that's what I'm going with for a year or two until I next replace the cloth.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
"It's easier to get the cloth tight and straight " This is simply NOT TRUE> Who made up this bull$hit?

TFT

P.s. the contact adhesive is toxic to breathe and to have on your skin! Staples have neither of these side affects. Wood backed tab;

I'm guessing that Sheldon was referring to this type of thing:

292168653_10158966977948831_4919699101304669454_n.jpg

You have to be careful of your staple spacing, or you end up with an uneven stretch. This can lead to the unsightly streaking shadow effect that we see on so many tables.

Gold Crown III's had the worst slate liners of the series, in my opinion. Because of that, I almost always use glue on them. Gold Crown I-II's generally have decent liners. I usually use staples on them.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I'm guessing that Sheldon was referring to this type of thing:

View attachment 650557

You have to be careful of your staple spacing, or you end up with an uneven stretch. This can lead to the unsightly streaking shadow effect that we see on so many tables.

Gold Crown III's had the worst slate liners of the series, in my opinion. Because of that, I almost always use glue on them. Gold Crown I-II's generally have decent liners. I usually use staples on them.
Yikes, that's ugly. I draw lines and pull cloth a bit tighter than most, and when you're using staples you can't get as much leverage with your pliers without pulling the staples you just shot. Manipulating the cloth to the line drawn is just easier.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
GC1, no staples!! I NEVER staple down a bed cloth! And for what it's worth for those who THINK they know something, JAY wanted to demonstrate my glue down method on the GC4 in the Simonis DVD, but I refused because at that time, the 3M 10 wasn't available in 17 states, or out of country, so it made no sense to show something that most would never get their hands on the glue!!!

Jay glues down all his bed cloths today, because he's a PROFESSIONAL!!
20170420_180410_resize_20170502_114256.jpg
20170420_180437_resize_20170502_114256.jpg
20170420_180506_resize_20170502_114256.jpg

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Yikes, that's ugly. I draw lines and pull cloth a bit tighter than most, and when you're using staples you can't get as much leverage with your pliers without pulling the staples you just shot. Manipulating the cloth to the line drawn is just easier.
Staples work, period. Solvent based adhesive is gross. Must be why "some people" are so crazy, to much blue glue. I use it when its necessary and do a good job, but, I would rather not smell it or touch if often.
I feel bad for guys that have to use it everyday!

TFT

DeeDeeCues

Hmm... Two opinions without much support. Why is gluing better vs why is it harder?

Glue has an obvious advantage of stressing each stand equally.

Staples can easily be removed if mistakes are made.

I don't care much about the chemical issue.

Thanks for the thoughts.