TOI and deep cuts from the rail

5am

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been using TOI for a couple of months now to great avail. Struggling a bit though with deep cuts where the CB is on an opposite rail and the OB is say 2-and-a- half diamonds or more up from a corner pocket nearly on or close to the rail (say an inch or two). I align CTE and then move the cue tip over what I think is an appropriate amount of inside (though its a guess for sure). I try for a deliberate stroke, mindful that I follow through. Still seem to be undercutting mostly but when I dig in and say "cut it more" to myself, I start overcutting the OB in a lot of cases. I'm just not getting a feel for this type of shot with TOI. I do try to keep my stick as level as I can, but there's always some elevation when shooting from the rail. Top inside with a bit of stick elevation, even if it's only a few degrees above level, does seem to affect the accuracy of the shot.

Is there something I'm missing? Or is this something where I have to hit this type shot umpteen times until it clicks. (Believe me, I've already shot it umpteen times it seems already.)

I do notice that if my OB is more in the center of the table, say four or five diamonds away from the CB and the CB is on the short rail and I'm shooting to a corner pocket requiring more than a half ball hit, I really have to be mindful to cut more deeply into the side of the OB with a very firm stroke. And I feel like I have to exaggerate my follow through. Bob's your uncle, the ball usually goes in the pocket but the shot is definitely more pesky than one where the CB is off the rail.

So I guess the question for the masters of TOI is this: do you do anything differently when shooting from the rail that you don't do when not shooting from the rail? If the answer is no, then it's back to the practice table for me.....

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I'm sure CJ will chime in, but I will say this.

You have to keep in mind that the 'squirt'/deflection is directly to the opposite side of the tip offset through the center of the ball. For instance, If you hit at 3:00 the squirt will be in the 9:00 direction. If you hit at 1:30 the squirt will be toward the 7:30 direction. Obvoiusly if the stroke is the same & it is enough to keep any swerve from coming into play on the 1:30 hit then the amount of 'squirt' in the horizontal direction will still not be the same. With the 1:30 hit the ball is being 'squirted' into the table cloth & will meet with some resistence as well.

IMHO to get those two(2) near in the amount of squirt effect the 1:30 hit would need a bit more offset & maybe a bit more speed to assure that the swerve does not bring the ball back before contact.

If you do not want to make an adjustment then I would think that an aim adjustment would be the other solution.

Just my nickel's worth of thoughts.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't try to "figure it out," just be thankful it works as well as it does.

Been using TOI for a couple of months now to great avail. Struggling a bit though with deep cuts where the CB is on an opposite rail and the OB is say 2-and-a- half diamonds or more up from a corner pocket nearly on or close to the rail (say an inch or two). I align CTE and then move the cue tip over what I think is an appropriate amount of inside (though its a guess for sure). I try for a deliberate stroke, mindful that I follow through. Still seem to be undercutting mostly but when I dig in and say "cut it more" to myself, I start overcutting the OB in a lot of cases. I'm just not getting a feel for this type of shot with TOI. I do try to keep my stick as level as I can, but there's always some elevation when shooting from the rail. Top inside with a bit of stick elevation, even if it's only a few degrees above level, does seem to affect the accuracy of the shot.

Is there something I'm missing? Or is this something where I have to hit this type shot umpteen times until it clicks. (Believe me, I've already shot it umpteen times it seems already.)

I do notice that if my OB is more in the center of the table, say four or five diamonds away from the CB and the CB is on the short rail and I'm shooting to a corner pocket requiring more than a half ball hit, I really have to be mindful to cut more deeply into the side of the OB with a very firm stroke. And I feel like I have to exaggerate my follow through. Bob's your uncle, the ball usually goes in the pocket but the shot is definitely more pesky than one where the CB is off the rail.

So I guess the question for the masters of TOI is this: do you do anything differently when shooting from the rail that you don't do when not shooting from the rail? If the answer is no, then it's back to the practice table for me.....

I would not recomment using a "level cue," some angle is more reliable, the level cue amplifies miss hits in my opinion so what you are doing is fine.

On longer shots, especially off the rail line up Center to Center so you have a SOLID connection between the cue ball and the object ball. The connection is what's important with the TOI Technique, it's not about "aiming"....it's more about Creating....the.....Angle. There's a difference.

Line up Center/Center, THEN just shoot straight through the TOI spot on the cue ball (without "trying" to cut the shot), you'll be pleasantly surprised what happens. Don't try to "figure it out," just be thankful it works as well as it does. When TOI starts to "click" with the players I'm working with they feel like they learned some kind of magic...it's not of course, what's really happening is they're aligning what's happening on the table with their unconscious mind and allowing the "self expression to occur naturally.

This is no different than an artist painting or a musician playing the piano, the "Touch" of inside is just the key that unlocks the door by simplifying the process where you can get the conscious mind to "get out of the way". It's ironic, one of our biggest obstacles is our own mind....such is life. 'The Game is the Teacher'

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What may be happening is that you are forcing the follow thru when striking the QB.

Try this, hit the QB right in the face and let the follow thru just happen. The weight of the cue will continue thru the QB.

Oh yeah, on shots where the QB is struck at the horizontal axis and below the QB must be sliding when it arrives at the OB. Like a stop or stun shot.

TOI is pretty cool, a whole new way to play the game. :wink:

Hope this helps you.

John

5am

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks CJ, English and 1P John. I'll give the suggestions a try and let you know how it goes. I hadn't thought as CJ suggests to line up center to center. Damn, I love TOI.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you think too much consciously about a subconscious behavior it will always .....

Thanks CJ, English and 1P John. I'll give the suggestions a try and let you know how it goes. I hadn't thought as CJ suggests to line up center to center. Damn, I love TOI.

The TOI System is a way to connect the Game to your subconscious. Once your mind understands that it just needs to create a limited amount of angles off either a center/center, or a center/edge alignment, YOUR MIND WILL DO THIS. The Inside target on the cue ball creates "cut," plain and simple, center and outside cuing does NOT amplify cut to a pool shot.

I've studied the mind and how it works though NLP* (neuro linguistic programming) and the TOI Technique is the most effective way to teach this process to those that can't lean it like I did (and other champions), we learned it when we were very young and our minds were still developing, at an older age, it's much more difficult to learn how to perform subconsciously.......the touch of inside system will teach you this.

The guidelines are simple: If you are overcutting shots lining up center/edge, go to center/center, if you are undercutting shots center/center, just go to center/edge - this is a calibration necessary to connect the angles you need to create to your mind's perception of them. This is what the greatest players do, and can't explain. This is because it's happening in the subconscious and if you "think" too much about it negative things will happen.

I was one of those players and I know what it's like. If you think too much consciously about a subconscious behavior it will always have a negative effect. It's like walking down stairs and suddenly try to figure out what your footwork is doing and how it coordinates with your breathing......Don't Trip!!!.....oops, too late ;) 'The Game is the Teacher'

Here's more from the link at the bottom of this page on NLP....it's powerful.

* In essence, all of NLP is founded on two fundamental presuppositions:

1. The Map is Not the Territory. As human beings, we can never know reality. We can only know our perceptions of reality. We experience and respond to the world around us primarily through our sensory representational systems. It is our 'neuro-linguistic' maps of reality that determine how we behave and that give those behaviors meaning, not reality itself. It is generally not reality that limits us or empowers us, but rather our map of reality.

2. Life and 'Mind' are Systemic Processes. The processes that take place within a human being and between human beings and their environment are systemic. Our bodies, our societies, and our universe form an ecology of complex systems and sub-systems all of which interact with and mutually influence each other. It is not possible to completely isolate any part of the system from the rest of the system. Such systems are based on certain 'self-organizing' principles and naturally seek optimal states of balance or homeostasis.
WHAT IS NLP AND HOW WOULD IT APPLY TO POCKET BILLIARDS

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
CJ,

Thanks for the above. It's good to hear these things put into words that make sense.

Best Regards & Thanks Again,
Rick

Last edited:

5am

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please share us your results after you try Center to Center connection.

Okay. Had about 15 minutes before league matches last night to practice what CJ recommended. Aligned center to center and shot straight through my TOI line. When I got the TOI position on the CB right (at least a tip it would seem) AND stroked smoothly with the right speed, the OB cut into the pocket pretty as you please. But my results were still very spotty. I could see I was undercutting most shots as the OB would hit the rail fractionally somewhere down the rail on the way toward the pocket. Will have to keep working on this. When I did align and stroke correctly, the OB just seemed to float smoothly down the rail and into the pocket and it all seemed so effortless.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

Remember to accelerate. Especially if you are hitting above or below the horizontal axis. You can not baby those shots. If you do then swerve back can come into play & take away some, if not all of the squirt you have obtained, especially on longer shots. When this happens, it can result in an undercut.

I think you need to find that 3 hours to spend with just TOI. CJ is correct that mixing in 'normal' type play with TOI can drive one nuts.

Good Luck with it,

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi CJ,

With respect to breathing when shooting, do you have any suggestion? Sound like a dumb question but I was curious if top players have a pattern that they repeat before taking the shot...it really has to do more for timing and helps with my flow.

Btw...this is why I also like TOI...it simplify the aim lines (really only 2) to help create the visual that trains your Subconscious...I can see a player using the system/style of play to play more naturally.

"The TOI System is a way to connect the Game to your subconscious. Once your mind understands that it just needs to create a limited amount of angles off either a center/center, or a center/edge alignment, YOUR MIND WILL DO THIS."

I highly recommend it to all players that want to improve their game..or even to get a better understanding.

Thanks again,
Duc.

The TOI System is a way to connect the Game to your subconscious. Once your mind understands that it just needs to create a limited amount of angles off either a center/center, or a center/edge alignment, YOUR MIND WILL DO THIS. The Inside target on the cue ball creates "cut," plain and simple, center and outside cuing does NOT amplify cut to a pool shot.

I've studied the mind and how it works though NLP* (neuro linguistic programming) and the TOI Technique is the most effective way to teach this process to those that can't lean it like I did (and other champions), we learned it when we were very young and our minds were still developing, at an older age, it's much more difficult to learn how to perform subconsciously.......the touch of inside system will teach you this.

The guidelines are simple: If you are overcutting shots lining up center/edge, go to center/center, if you are undercutting shots center/center, just go to center/edge - this is a calibration necessary to connect the angles you need to create to your mind's perception of them. This is what the greatest players do, and can't explain. This is because it's happening in the subconscious and if you "think" too much about it negative things will happen.

I was one of those players and I know what it's like. If you think too much consciously about a subconscious behavior it will always have a negative effect. It's like walking down stairs and suddenly try to figure out what your footwork is doing and how it coordinates with your breathing......Don't Trip!!!.....oops, too late ;) 'The Game is the Teacher'

Here's more from the link at the bottom of this page on NLP....it's powerful.

* In essence, all of NLP is founded on two fundamental presuppositions:

1. The Map is Not the Territory. As human beings, we can never know reality. We can only know our perceptions of reality. We experience and respond to the world around us primarily through our sensory representational systems. It is our 'neuro-linguistic' maps of reality that determine how we behave and that give those behaviors meaning, not reality itself. It is generally not reality that limits us or empowers us, but rather our map of reality.

2. Life and 'Mind' are Systemic Processes. The processes that take place within a human being and between human beings and their environment are systemic. Our bodies, our societies, and our universe form an ecology of complex systems and sub-systems all of which interact with and mutually influence each other. It is not possible to completely isolate any part of the system from the rest of the system. Such systems are based on certain 'self-organizing' principles and naturally seek optimal states of balance or homeostasis.
WHAT IS NLP AND HOW WOULD IT APPLY TO POCKET BILLIARDS

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you the same distance from the cue ball every time?

Okay. Had about 15 minutes before league matches last night to practice what CJ recommended. Aligned center to center and shot straight through my TOI line. When I got the TOI position on the CB right (at least a tip it would seem) AND stroked smoothly with the right speed, the OB cut into the pocket pretty as you please. But my results were still very spotty. I could see I was undercutting most shots as the OB would hit the rail fractionally somewhere down the rail on the way toward the pocket. Will have to keep working on this. When I did align and stroke correctly, the OB just seemed to float smoothly down the rail and into the pocket and it all seemed so effortless.

You are not hitting the cue ball precisely enough. Are you the same distance from the cue ball every time? Do you have a system to measure this exactly?

This may be a great place to start, remember, consistency is a result of doing as many things as possible the SAME every time. Distance is a key factor and you must know how to use your cue as a "measuring device"

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
CJ:

At some point, could you do a kicking/banking video on TOI? Maybe just a short YouTube demo? I've been kicking and banking with TOI and it's the nuts. I haven't missed hitting one and two rail kicks (contact) in a month...but I haven't quite dialed it in to the point I can reliably pocket one unless it's a hanger. I have had a lot of success banking with TOI, but I need to baby the shot just a tad. Cut banks with TOI are so easy it's scary...I'm not sure how it works, I'm actually afraid to know.

I'd also like to see some head cam action at some point, too...I think a lot of lightbulbs will go on if you'd just run a rack of rotation with a head cam. I don't line up CTE or CTC like you advocate, I just "align" and create the angle. If I were to pay attention to CTC or CTE, I really think my brain might melt. I don't know how to describe what I see when I'm over the shot aligning it, all I know is I "see" it...kind of like connecting the dots (CB-OB-thick hit/side of Pocket)...and Bam! I see the shot sunk before I pull the trigger. I'm really afraid to overanalyze it. I've been doing this almost 6 months, maybe I'm just "calibrated". I really appreciate your tip on drawing a line through the landing zone all the way back through the opposite rail...really helps me visualize how the get the cue ball to roll into the zone at a shallow angle, giving me more room to be successful.

I really believe my success has been due to me running racks of rotation for practice--exclusively, for hours at a time. It really makes you work the system hard, and dials it right in like no other game can...then 10 ball seems like tidily winks! I'm tearing it up in our little league over here in Cyprus, can't wait till I'm back in the States this Summer (after 6 years in Europe this tour) and try this out in some regional tournaments! ;)

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
We're making the TOI Banking video right now

CJ:

At some point, could you do a kicking/banking video on TOI? Maybe just a short YouTube demo? I've been kicking and banking with TOI and it's the nuts. I haven't missed hitting one and two rail kicks (contact) in a month...but I haven't quite dialed it in to the point I can reliably pocket one unless it's a hanger. I have had a lot of success banking with TOI, but I need to baby the shot just a tad. Cut banks with TOI are so easy it's scary...I'm not sure how it works, I'm actually afraid to know.

I'd also like to see some head cam action at some point, too...I think a lot of lightbulbs will go on if you'd just run a rack of rotation with a head cam. I don't line up CTE or CTC like you advocate, I just "align" and create the angle. If I were to pay attention to CTC or CTE, I really think my brain might melt. I don't know how to describe what I see when I'm over the shot aligning it, all I know is I "see" it...kind of like connecting the dots (CB-OB-thick hit/side of Pocket)...and Bam! I see the shot sunk before I pull the trigger. I'm really afraid to overanalyze it. I've been doing this almost 6 months, maybe I'm just "calibrated". I really appreciate your tip on drawing a line through the landing zone all the way back through the opposite rail...really helps me visualize how the get the cue ball to roll into the zone at a shallow angle, giving me more room to be successful.

I really believe my success has been due to me running racks of rotation for practice--exclusively, for hours at a time. It really makes you work the system hard, and dials it right in like no other game can...then 10 ball seems like tidily winks! I'm tearing it up in our little league over here in Cyprus, can't wait till I'm back in the States this Summer (after 6 years in Europe this tour) and try this out in some regional tournaments! ;)

Yes, We're making the TOI Banking video right now and we're about 50% done, the post production will start on Monday, filming will be complete on Friday or Saturday.

The Banking system is very effective, however, it's done with a TOI alignment, then a pivot. We call this the TIP System (Touch of Inside Pivot System) and it will be available soon to the public of players.

I agree, running racks of rotation is great practice for TOI and using this system is the only way I can beat the ghost playing 15 Ball Rotation. The position play using the Touch of inside is what makes it possible, the angles are more predictable and it's easier to control the "heavier" cue ball.

5am

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are not hitting the cue ball precisely enough. Are you the same distance from the cue ball every time? Do you have a system to measure this exactly?

This may be a great place to start, remember, consistency is a result of doing as many things as possible the SAME every time. Distance is a key factor and you must know how to use your cue as a "measuring device"

Thanks for the info CJ. I got a chance to practice this shot (see the image below) a bit more today. I did get better at the shot the more I worked with it. Still on the iffy side though as far as consistency. Best result (i.e. pocketing the ball!) seems to come when I align center to center as you noted earlier in this thread to me. I then moved inside with TOI. Looks to be about a tip to 3/4 tip as my best estimate.

Two things that help when I'm actually making the shot. I shorten up on my stick (move my back hand forward on the stick) and when I shoot, I'm actually looking at (and driving the cue ball) along a straight line from tip to the left edge of the object ball (when hitting the object ball to the left).

I'm confused, however, by your question of whether I am the same distance from the cue ball every time. Not sure if your referring to the gap between my cue tip and the cue ball, my stance, or simply how much TOI I am using? As I mentioned, it seems to work best at what I estimate to be 3/4 to 1 tip of TOI.

Not sure also what you mean by using my cue as a "measuring stick." (Did I miss this in your video? Easy to do, because it has so much information compacted into 90 minutes.) Tell me more if you could please.

Lastly, I know some people would argue that banking the ball would be the better way to go. Perhaps. But I think successful cutting using TOI is one of the hallmarks of the method. So I wanted to see how far for me, I could push the boundary. Pretty darn far is my take on this because when it works it's the sweetest shot I ever did see!

cutshot_zpsc9b292e9.jpg

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
you must make this every time, at least in your mind.

Thanks for the info CJ. I got a chance to practice this shot (see the image below) a bit more today. I did get better at the shot the more I worked with it. Still on the iffy side though as far as consistency. Best result (i.e. pocketing the ball!) seems to come when I align center to center as you noted earlier in this thread to me. I then moved inside with TOI. Looks to be about a tip to 3/4 tip as my best estimate.

Two things that help when I'm actually making the shot. I shorten up on my stick (move my back hand forward on the stick) and when I shoot, I'm actually looking at (and driving the cue ball) along a straight line from tip to the left edge of the object ball (when hitting the object ball to the left).

I'm confused, however, by your question of whether I am the same distance from the cue ball every time. Not sure if your referring to the gap between my cue tip and the cue ball, my stance, or simply how much TOI I am using? As I mentioned, it seems to work best at what I estimate to be 3/4 to 1 tip of TOI.

Not sure also what you mean by using my cue as a "measuring stick." (Did I miss this in your video? Easy to do, because it has so much information compacted into 90 minutes.) Tell me more if you could please.

Lastly, I know some people would argue that banking the ball would be the better way to go. Perhaps. But I think successful cutting using TOI is one of the hallmarks of the method. So I wanted to see how far for me, I could push the boundary. Pretty darn far is my take on this because when it works it's the sweetest shot I ever did see!

cutshot_zpsc9b292e9.jpg

When cutting your example shot to the left, you should be focusing on the right edge of the object ball to the center of your cue ball/tip, then move over perfectly parallel to the left and concentrate on hitting the cue ball very precisely. It depends on your tip size and cue how far you will need to move TOI....just make sure you aren't "aiming" at the contact point, you may feel like you're hitting the shot too full, however, this is natural, just trust you set up and hit the cue ball perfectly straight with the TOI.....you must trust the TOI for it to work properly, this is true with any type of situation, your mind can actually throw things off if you allow it....try to clear you mind and FEEL the angle, don't try to see it.

By the amount of TOI you're using I would guess you are not hitting the cue ball exactly square...in other words you are pivoting slightly and this will cause you to undercut the object ball UNLESS you are compensating by aligning center to edge, then it should be center to center....I could tell if I saw you hit a couple of balls, however, in this case I'm just giving you an "educated guess".

The measuring to the cue ball and other pre shot routine info is in my Ultimate Pool Secrets. I'm talking about your distance from your body to the cue ball. I measure this by putting my back hand on my right hip and using the cue to measure to the cue ball...this puts me in an exact distance relationship with my body before each shot. This is important to get the same perception of the shot with your eyes as well. The further back you are with your eyes (from the cue ball) the smaller the cue ball will appear, the closer you are the larger it will appear....this makes a difference in your complete perception of the shot....I'd give this some thought, you're probably standing too far away from the cue ball.

This is a great cut shot to tune in your TOI. The only thing I would suggest is just make it once, then change the angle. You don't want your mind to start thinking in percentages, you want to program in positive experiences, not come to the conclusion this is a "5 out of 8" shot....you must make this every time, at least in your mind.

This should clear up a couple of your questions.....'The Game is Your Teacher'

5am

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When cutting your example shot to the left, you should be focusing on the right edge of the object ball to the center of your cue ball/tip, then move over perfectly parallel to the left and concentrate on hitting the cue ball very precisely. It depends on your tip size and cue how far you will need to move TOI....just make sure you aren't "aiming" at the contact point, you may feel like you're hitting the shot too full, however, this is natural, just trust you set up and hit the cue ball perfectly straight with the TOI.....you must trust the TOI for it to work properly, this is true with any type of situation, your mind can actually throw things off if you allow it....try to clear you mind and FEEL the angle, don't try to see it.

By the amount of TOI you're using I would guess you are not hitting the cue ball exactly square...in other words you are pivoting slightly and this will cause you to undercut the object ball UNLESS you are compensating by aligning center to edge, then it should be center to center....I could tell if I saw you hit a couple of balls, however, in this case I'm just giving you an "educated guess".

The measuring to the cue ball and other pre shot routine info is in my Ultimate Pool Secrets. I'm talking about your distance from your body to the cue ball. I measure this by putting my back hand on my right hip and using the cue to measure to the cue ball...this puts me in an exact distance relationship with my body before each shot. This is important to get the same perception of the shot with your eyes as well. The further back you are with your eyes (from the cue ball) the smaller the cue ball will appear, the closer you are the larger it will appear....this makes a difference in your complete perception of the shot....I'd give this some thought, you're probably standing too far away from the cue ball.

This is a great cut shot to tune in your TOI. The only thing I would suggest is just make it once, then change the angle. You don't want your mind to start thinking in percentages, you want to program in positive experiences, not come to the conclusion this is a "5 out of 8" shot....you must make this every time, at least in your mind.

This should clear up a couple of your questions.....'The Game is Your Teacher'

It was late when I posted my image and explanation. I meant to say I was focusing on the right edge (not the left as I wrote erroneously) of the object ball, as you so rightly highlighted.

Thanks for clearing up the distance issue (body to the cue ball).

As you mention, trust plays a big part in TOI. I can't tell you the number of times, particularly when I first started using TOI, a ball would drop pretty as you please into a pocket and I'd get perfect position to boot, even while my mind was telling me, "Really, you think this is going to work?" When it happened over and over, I became a believer. The odd thing now is that when I look at an opponent spinning the cue ball left and right, varying their speeds, and trying all manner of traditional contact to contact point aiming, I just want to shout "Why are you making it so hard on yourself?" Of course, I don't and just let them go on their way.

Ok. Back to the table....

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stay "in touch" with the cue ball, even when you're not at the table

It was late when I posted my image and explanation. I meant to say I was focusing on the right edge (not the left as I wrote erroneously) of the object ball, as you so rightly highlighted.

Thanks for clearing up the distance issue (body to the cue ball).

As you mention, trust plays a big part in TOI. I can't tell you the number of times, particularly when I first started using TOI, a ball would drop pretty as you please into a pocket and I'd get perfect position to boot, even while my mind was telling me, "Really, you think this is going to work?" When it happened over and over, I became a believer. The odd thing now is that when I look at an opponent spinning the cue ball left and right, varying their speeds, and trying all manner of traditional contact to contact point aiming, I just want to shout "Why are you making it so hard on yourself?" Of course, I don't and just let them go on their way.

Ok. Back to the table....

Yes, the better you get at the TOI Game, the more you will see the weakness in how others play.

The thing most people don't realize is they have to do everything you are doing AND aim at the shot. You can just align above the shot and let the precision of your cue ball target create the angle. They still have to hit the cue ball as precisely as you do, and even more if they are using any kind of spin. They will also have to create an "illusion" of hitting a contact point or ghost ball, you will be shooting at something real, the center or edge.

Keep concentrating on your cue ball contact being very precise and cut back on your follow through. An extended follow through magnifies miss hit shots so try to follow through as quick and precise as possible....DO NOT extend it unless you want to amplify spin.

You'll see champion players extend their follow through sometimes and it's just to throw off their opponent......DO NOT go for this, I've done it many times to be deceptive about what I was really doing. It's best not to watch your opponent play at all, JUST watch the (your) cue ball. Stay "in touch" with the cue ball, even when you're not at the table, it will prove to be another big advantage mentally.

'The Game is the Teacher'