Tom Hay's new line of tips

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mike,

While cutting on a lathe you will notice that the cut is very clean and becomes like a strand. The layers are pretty tight and barely show a glue line. Will they Mushroom at all? Sure, not horrible but the hardest of this series is a medium so yes a little mushrooming can be expected. The sound of hit should be pleaseing as it makes very little noise. Holds chalk very well but I can't tell you how often between chalking so chalks free,use it. On the playability, it they play well, good grip but as the Kamui always felt different from the Kamui so will the SIB differ from the UltraSkin.

You will not find any writing on my part that states it hits exactly like an old Moorri, strictly that it is more fore the people that like that Type hit.

You will be seeing many reviews poping up probably quickly as a LOT have been paid for and shipped in the last couple of days and to me I listen more to what a majority of John Q Public says as real installers and players than any make believe test taken from a catagory to try to fit around a Cue Tip. I hope it is well recieved but have not spent a dime that has come in on them yet in the unlikely event I have to return a lot of money.

To each their own... I've played with a few UltraSkin tips and have been nothing but impressed. I also really like the Tiger Onyx tips, but know some people who can't stand them. Opinions are like... well... you know.

How would you compare the playability of the SIB tips to your current UltraSkins, as it pertains to firmness, resistance to mushrooming and how they hold chalk?

Cheers,

Mike

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a cue that came with one of your mediums and played it down to probably the thickness of a nickel. I thought it was a great tip!

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SIB Tips

Tom, how long have you had these new tips out? Go on vacation for while and yikes!
I'll be ordering some this week to try out for sure! Glad you are feeling better!
Mikey

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, three years in the works enough to satisfy me, was taking a test drive spin on Ebay before season to get different level players feed back. I figure with as many out there on the way the feed back should be coming this weekend or a bit after. Hopefully they will be liked.

Tm, how long have you had these new tips out? Go on vacation for while and yikes!
I'll be ordering some this week to try out for sure! Glad you are feeling better!
Mikey

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Tom, any special prices for your AZmembers for your SIB Tips like your Ultraskin tips? Also, do you have any intention of releasing a hard/heavy hitter density SIB tip?

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Hey Tom, i ordered 10 on ebay as i love the Ultraskins, so felt the need to try these out as well. Cant beat the price.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Please bare with me a little on that. I wanted to get feedback during the off season and also your not dealing with the sharpest knife in the drawer, I am trying to figure out how to divorce them enough on ordering where I don't slip up and send the wrong tip. One of my thoughts for future is maybe like a A B or C?

Hey Tom, any special prices for your AZmembers for your SIB Tips like your Ultraskin tips? Also, do you have any intention of releasing a hard/heavy hitter density SIB tip?

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom, I understand the back and age. I'm 82 now and the back has progressively worsened over the past 4 years. The "Golden Years" ain't what they used to be. I have UltraSkins on two of my cues and I like the way they play. Just a trace of mushrooming on one and none on the other after almost 2 years. I think I'll try one of those multi-layers of yours. I usually play with a Moori soft. Love the feel. Good luck to you and hope the back improves.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tom, I understand the back and age. I'm 82 now and the back has progressively worsened over the past 4 years. The "Golden Years" ain't what they used to be. I have UltraSkins on two of my cues and I like the way they play. Just a trace of mushrooming on one and none on the other after almost 2 years. I think I'll try one of those multi-layers of yours. I usually play with a Moori soft. Love the feel. Good luck to you and hope the back improves.

Pete, 82,? your a miricale. I should not complain about my back so. I see a younger man with one leg or arm my sores become minute.

It is so great you are out enjoying the game.:thumbup2:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ultraskins

I have been using them as long as they been on the market. I use them on my personal cues, and all my playing buddies love them. I put them on most of the cues I build. I can't wait until the newer one are for sale. Tom, I'm 72 them damn aches and pains are mostly there forever. Dribeing helps ease them.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been using them as long as they been on the market. I use them on my personal cues, and all my playing buddies love them. I put them on most of the cues I build. I can't wait until the newer one are for sale. Tom, I'm 72 them damn aches and pains are mostly there forever. Dribeing helps ease them.

Hey bud,

Thanks for the nice words. It becomes an embarrasment issue sometimes more than pain. I have little to no cushions on my right side, took years of neglect to get them this way. I went to simply stand in a Pool Room last week and pulled a Tiger Woods, right to the ground. Have some options coming up in September, we shall see.
Thanks,
Tom

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Incidentally, Tom, i just tried a Pro tip. I don't like soft tips, but I really don't mind this. It's not mushy, IMHO, but does definitely take a bit of speed off the ball. I'm liking it for straight pool. Feels like I can let my stroke out a bit without over hitting the cue ball.

I still like the medium best, but I'll leave this Pro on a while and see how it goes.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Unfortunately it will be a long time before I need to buy new tips from Mr. Hay.

I got 10 tips for $25 a couple of years ago (2 Soft, 3 Very Soft, 4 Pro Soft and 1 Really Hard). After two years I'm still on the first tip (play about 3 hours a day). Minor mushrooming that you'd have to hold a straight-edge up to the ferule to see; not worth trimming.

Colormegone2002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ultraskins forever

I have found a tip I like and it happens to come at a great price as well. As long

as Mr. Hay keeps producing them, I'll keep buying them. I think I'll try a soft next.

Hope you get good news Tom

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Hi Tom since you are here can you confirm these tips are made by you in Florida? I keep running into people who think you told them you make them here in the states so clarification is in order....

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just put a medium on a Mezz Wx900. Initial impression is "very, very nice". I have also installed Pro and Soft and two other shafts. So far I like the medium best, but time will tell. More after I have played them for a while.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Hi Tom since you are here can you confirm these tips are made by you in Florida? I keep running into people who think you told them you make them here in the states so clarification is in order....

-

He's got elfs working away at making cookies and layered leather cue tips...

Give it up chris.. Tips are like gasoline... Buy from and choose the grade you want....there is enough room for everyone to sell their leather tip products. I believe you are intentionally attacking ppl... Dont listen to the small talk.. It's just that- small talk. Don't believe everything you hear...
Everyone who has dealt with tom know he's a standup guy and stone cold as honest as Abe, he's not the guy that goes around telling story's about his competitors to belittle them to the eyes of the heavy consumers of the products.

What tom does is encourages consumers to try all the tips on the market and choose what works best for the user. If tom can't satisfy a end user needs and feels another product could be used that he don't offer but in the end it works for the customer and the customer is happy... That's what tom is about.. Making his customers happy to the best of his ability without saying a bad thing about anyone or competitors products and sometimes suggesting a product offered by another fellow in the business.

Rob.M

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member

How about staying on your own side of the street.
If these tips were made in Lower Slabovia by one-armed, gay, illegal aliens, it would most certainly be of no concern to you, would it?