Tom Hay's new line of tips

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Got the tips late yesterday. (Tom, thanks for the extras.)

I'll install one this weekend and play with it Monday & Tuesday and report back. And just for the record: I am no tip guru, just an average player who has played with a wide variety of tips going back to the French Champion tips in the 60's, up to the Mooris, Kamuis, and G2s nowadays. Whatever I say, YMMV.

One question for Tom: do you recommend one side or the other as the glue side?

Lou Figueroa

lou the side with the bottle i used as the glue side

sib cue tips.jpg

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
got my tips quickly from tom
thanks
put a pro on one shaft and a medium on the other
figuring the soft would be somewhere in between for feel/hit
just a few hours play so far
no mushrooming
was surprised the pro was not "mushy" feeling
it is soft but not mushy
both hold chalk well and give you great feel for the cue ball
the medium as expected is firmer and more "crisp" also in sound as it strikes the cue ball
ALL IN ALL A GREAT TIP
I WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND THESE TIPS ...:thumbup::thumbup:

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
I ordered a lot of 10 from ebay. Tom Hayes himself is selling them I got an email same day asking how I wanted the hardness broke down I got 3 pro 3 soft and 4 medium. I received them in the mail a few days later very prompt. So far I had a pro and soft installed. Im playing with the pro right now on a Z2 shaft hit is soft but not mushy shapes good holds chalk great and effortless spin. Overall it made me very confident in what I could do right away. I put the soft on a custom cue and the hit and grip is great will need to try a little more.

A LITTLE SIDE NOTE FROM READING PEOPLE THOUGHT THESE TIPS WERE DESGNED TO BE SIMILIAR TO THE OLD ORIGINAL MOORIS NOT 100% IF ITS TRUE BUT SOMEONE I KNEW AT THE POOL HALL TRIED IT AND SAID IT WAS A LOT LIKE THE HIT AND FEEL HE REMEMBERED AND WITH IN 3 HITS HE ASKED WERE TO GET ONE AND 3 HOURS LATER HE ASKED TO TRY AGAIN AND DIDNT WANT TO PUT MY CUE DOWN HE LIKED IT SO MUCH AND WE BOTH SHOT WITH SAMSARA UNILCO CUE WITH PREDATOR SHAT.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh, that's what that is, lol. My bad. I thought it was like some kind of logo, a Molotov cocktail or something.

Lou Figueroa
symbol impaired

First time I saw the original Moori glue bottle thing, I thought it was a little factory smoke stack, like maybe these things are made by Toyota, or something.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Mine was installed today but wont get my shaft back til Thursday when i get home from vacation.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12 pages??
Bashing the competition is never good for business in the long run.
I have asked The Renfo if his tips are his own or if it's LePro, Triangle and Elkmasters "rebranded" he has not responded.
I don't understand how a guy who does not even make tips, can critisize a guy who does make his own tips...

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sooooo, I installed one of Tom's M tips on me Ginacue.

As has been mentioned, the tips are slightly green in color but as we all know, any decent amount of play turns them all dark anyway, so no matter. Cutting, the tip works nicely and has a vaguely suede-like consistency.

I cut off the top two layers to shorten the tip. In hindsight I probably would cut off three, perhaps four layers, next time around. The first day I played with it for just over three hours and the tip flatten significantly and flared out on the sides. The next day, after another trim and shaping, the tip played very nicely and I think i'll leave it on for a while to see how it goes. I'm guessing but it will probably need one more trim.

Overall, my personal conclusion is that these tips are probably the best value on the market. A nice layer tip at a very affordable price.

I'll probably be trying Tom's harder version in the future because I felt the M was a tad too soft for my liking. YMMV.

Lou Figueroa

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lou,

Thanks, I find this very infomative.

After watching you play on YouTube I knew The PRO was not for you. You hit each shot with authority.

I love your break shot in Straight Pool. The cue ball goes straight through the rack to the short rail and comes straight back to the middle of the table. That is not an easy shot to do and it keeps the cue ball from wandering for a scratch or from getting eaten up in a cluster.

The more I learn from the players the more I can adjust.

Thanks,
Tom

Sooooo, I installed one of Tom's M tips on me Ginacue.

As has been mentioned, the tips are slightly green in color but as we all know, any decent amount of play turns them all dark anyway, so no matter. Cutting, the tip works nicely and has a vaguely suede-like consistency.

I cut off the top two layers to shorten the tip. In hindsight I probably would cut off three, perhaps four layers, next time around. The first day I played with it for just over three hours and the tip flatten significantly and flared out on the sides. The next day, after another trim and shaping, the tip played very nicely and I think i'll leave it on for a while to see how it goes. I'm guessing but it will probably need one more trim.

Overall, my personal conclusion is that these tips are probably the best value on the market. A nice layer tip at a very affordable price.

I'll probably be trying Tom's harder version in the future because I felt the M was a tad too soft for my liking. YMMV.

Lou Figueroa

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Lou and all the others who responded with their findings and opinions. The new models sound like an excellent value, like Tom's regular tip's.

-Kat,

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how about busta and Efren still using the

same tips elk master for like 30 yrs. just hit the ball busta says. good luck tom. send me a sample or two. thanks in advance for any reply. mark

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got some from Tom, soft and very soft and put on a very soft, love the way it plays, great tips, great price.
thanks Tom !!