Tonight, 8PM EST - Orcullo v. Filler 14.1 - Accu-Stats

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Hit Enter a little fast before finishing the title. This will be streamed on YouTube. Tonight will be some "new school 14.1" from the 2017 Accu-Stats 14.1 "Make it Happen" event. See you all there! Reminder that Pat will hanging out in the chat room with everyone!

Here's Pat's promo text:

Thursday, 8pm EST, March 11, 2021: Germany’s Joshua Filler, maybe the best straight pool player in the world matches up against the two time “All-Around” champion Dennis Orcullo from the Philippines. But the “All-Around” titles don’t include straight pool. So, let’s watch two of the best players in the world fight it out at the 2017 “Make-It-Happen” Straight Pool Invitational, an event that only invites the best in the world. Mark Wilson and Danny DiLiberto will share the commentary. I’ll be in the chat room. Join me. https://youtu.be/HmNB5fdzigE

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hit Enter a little fast before finishing the title. This will be streamed on YouTube. Tonight will be some "new school 14.1" from the 2017 Accu-Stats 14.1 "Make it Happen" event. See you all there! Reminder that Pat will hanging out in the chat room with everyone!

Here's Pat's promo text:

Thursday, 8pm EST, March 11, 2021: Germany’s Joshua Filler, maybe the best straight pool player in the world matches up against the two time “All-Around” champion Dennis Orcullo from the Philippines. But the “All-Around” titles don’t include straight pool. So, let’s watch two of the best players in the world fight it out at the 2017 “Make-It-Happen” Straight Pool Invitational, an event that only invites the best in the world. Mark Wilson and Danny DiLiberto will share the commentary. I’ll be in the chat room. Join me. https://youtu.be/HmNB5fdzigE
Thanks for posting the video. A big no no for me is side pocket key ball in the middle of the table because if you don't get straight in you have issues. Not criticizing Orcollo who would beat me any day of the week but that key ball looks good but it is fool's gold.

27:31

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting the video. A big no no for me is side pocket key ball in the middle of the table because if you don't get straight in you have issues. Not criticizing Orcollo who would beat me any day of the week but that key ball looks good but it is fool's gold.

You do have to be prepared to take the cue ball off one end rail or the other from the key ball when you get a little funny on it. Orcullo had to bring the cue ball back 12 inches and instead it came back 15 inches. He was doing that from almost four feet away which added to the difficulty. If the key-key ball had been even with where he wanted to be, the key ball would have been a lot more workable as a stop shot is much easier than a 12-inch draw.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Yeah - unless there's a good set up ball, the side pocket key balls can be trouble if they are far from the side pocket. Depending on the layout, I'll shoot them up table in the corner, or just eliminate them early on in favor of a different set up or key ball pattern.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some stats from that match.

All information is given first for Orcollo and then for Filler (separated by a comma).

Final score: 150, 132
3 Highest Runs: (59, 33, 29), (42, 31, 30)
Total Innings: 6, 6
Points per Inning: 25.0, 22.0
Attempted Scoring Innings: 6, 5
Points per Attempted Scoring Inning: 25.0, 26.4
Safeties: 1, 1
Fouls, intentional: 0, 0
Fouls, unintentional: 0, 1
Missed Shots: 4, 4
Match Length: 102 min.
Points per Minute: 2.8

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

27:31

I enjoyed watching this, although it was strange to see two great players struggle like they did. Both players missed 4 very makeable shots each and both played very aggressively – only playing one safety each for the match and neither of those were particularly good.

It was interesting to hear double J being critical of their shot selections particularly regarding set up ball choices. As it turned out, he was generally correct.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed watching this, although it was strange to see two great players struggle like they did. Both players missed 4 very makeable shots each and both played very aggressively – only playing one safety each for the match and neither of those were particularly good.

It was interesting to hear double J being critical of their shot selections particularly regarding set up ball choices. As it turned out, he was generally correct.
Yes, I like Double J's 14.1 commentary. One thing that always stands out for me with many of these "modern" 14.1 non European players - ( Americans and Filipinos alike) is how many balls they do run at times utilizing so much cue ball travel. As JJ mentions- many times they abandon traditional ball to ball 14.1 patterns for longer cue ball travel shape from ball to ball.

They are such great shotmakers, and are so adept from their rotation game experience, at longer travel cue ball control; that they can "get by" and then some; with non textbook 14.1 play.