Top 10 Reasons for Missing … and How to Prevent It

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Do you guys have the same "pet peeve" as me about pool match commentators claiming pros miss shots because they get up on the shot, or is it almost always: they got up on the shot because they missed? What do you guys think?

Yes, and when you rewind you can see they didn't get up until way after the cb was delivered. It's become a "catch all" for announcers and its not only tedious, it's just lazy. If you want to analyze, fine, but stop using the same excuse every time they miss.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great video

Thanks.

but you forgot, "didn't use the correct sweep"

giphy.gif

I actually thought of including "Using an Aiming System" as one of the items, but I decided the other items were more important.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
No one has mentioned the "chop"?
Are you referring to when two players decide to "chop the pot" on the final match of a tournament (where it doesn't matter who wins)? Are do you mean something else?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. I am referring to something like that😉
On Facebook, people were listing other reasons also not included in my video. Here are a few examples:

- I miss because I suck and I am usually drunk when I play.
- I can't focus on pool with all the pretty ladies in here. (in your dreams)
- The music in here is too distracting.
- That guy three tables down took a sip of his beer.
- I missed the bank because Diamond table bank short.
- It's too cold in here. [Strickland]

Anybody have any others to add?

dquarasr

Registered
On Facebook, people were listing other reasons also not included in my video. Here are a few examples:

- I miss because I suck and I am usually drunk when I play.
- I can't focus on pool with all the pretty ladies in here. (in your dreams)
- The music in here is too distracting.
- That guy three tables down took a sip of his beer.
- I missed the bank because Diamond table bank short.
- It's too cold in here. [Strickland]

Anybody have any others to add?
- I can’t get “up” for a match because my opponent’s skill level is too far beneath mine (I’ve actually heard that excuse!)
- I’m not yet used to this CF cue (or new tip or any other new equipment)

Some not real but humorous ones:
- The sun got in my eyes
- The wind took it

Geosnookery

Enjoyed the video:

Good video and points. I’ve done a few over the years.

To add to your ‘other’. I’ll call it ‘The Paradox’. Adjusting some aspect of one’s game when fundamentals are actually fine…then creating an issue.

Examples would be things like when missing a pocket by an 1/8th of an inch or ‘almost’ but not quite making a bank shot. All the fundamentals were quite fine. Why did we miss? Nothing to really put the finger on…could have been a bit of chalk on the ball. Ever so slight miscalculation, etc. Nothing dramatic. The ball could have just as easily sunk as missed.

Some players will then try to adjust. However they are adjusting for the sake of ‘doing something’ rather than recognizing the issue (or there is no issue). They might then actually miss even more so then try to adjust something else. To take it to extreme they then start experimenting with a new tip, cue or whatever. It’s soon like an old Three Stooges Script…fixing a leaking faucet turns into flooding the whole neighbourhood.

The point being it’s ok to miss occasionally. Reyes and Ronnie O’Sullivan miss. No need for them to change their fundamentals. Why did Reyes miss an easy ‘give me’ shot? He’ll give his signature smile and shrug and moves on. Don’t over think it. He might then go 3 or 4 tournaments without making another bad shot.

Last edited:

It skid

I am about to watch this video ( as I do all of Dr. Dave's stuff) but I noticed the outline. I have a pre-watch suggestion....Perhaps "Lack of Focus" should be either later in the list or in the list multiple times. By the time I get to number 5, I might have lost focus again....

Now, what was I about to do?
I was gona tell you, then a bird flew by.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Enjoyed the video:

Good video and points. I’ve done a few over the years.

To add to your ‘other’. I’ll call it ‘The Paradox’. Adjusting some aspect of one’s game when fundamentals are actually fine…then creating an issue.

Examples would be things like when missing a pocket by an 1/8th of an inch or ‘almost’ but not quite making a bank shot. All the fundamentals were quite fine. Why did we miss? Nothing to really put the finger on…could have been a bit of chalk on the ball. Ever so slight miscalculation, etc. Nothing dramatic. The ball could have just as easily sunk as missed.

Some players will then try to adjust. However they are adjusting for the sake of ‘doing something’ rather than recognizing the issue (or there is no issue). They might then actually miss even more so then try to adjust something else. To take it to extreme they then start experimenting with a new tip, cue or whatever. It’s soon like an old Three Stooges Script…fixing a leaking faucet turns into flooding the whole neighbourhood.

The point being it’s ok to miss occasionally. Reyes and Ronnie O’Sullivan miss. No need for them to change their fundamentals. Why did Reyes miss an easy ‘give me’ shot? He’ll give his signature smile and shrug and moves on. Don’t over think it. He might then go 3 or 4 tournaments without making another bad shot.

You reminded me of how I always respond when people blame equipment:

Doofus: "I need a better tip." ... Dave: "It's not the tip. It's you."
Doofus: "I need better chalk." ... Dave: "It's not the chalk. It's you."
Doofus: "I need a better or more-expensive cue." ... Dave: "It's not the cue. It's you."

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks! Even though I used a lot of footage from previous videos, this one took a lot of work (especially in the planning and editing) ... but I think it was worth it.
White shirt… red shirt. Nicely done/informative video.
Good waker upper. I’ll sign off under #1. Concentration drift away.
Thanks for taking the time to produce this.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
White shirt… red shirt.

Those excerpts were from a previous "Changes in Your Pool Game that Can Have the Biggest Impact" video where Doofus Dave (in the T-shirt) showed the bad technique and Dr. Dave (in the pro jersey) showed proper technique:

Nicely done/informative video.

Thanks.

Good waker upper. I’ll sign off under #1. Concentration drift away.
Thanks for taking the time to produce this.

You're welcome. I aim to swerve. 🤓

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
”Swerve” is another I would add to the list. That ‘last second‘ unconscious side-twitch to the stroke (attempting to correct a too-late recognized error in alignment?). Usually results in ‘over correction’.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
”Swerve” is another I would add to the list. That ‘last second‘ unconscious side-twitch to the stroke (attempting to correct a too-late recognized error in alignment?). Usually results in ‘over correction’.
“Swerve“ refers to curve in the CB path due to sidespin, but I know what you meant. I should have mentioned ”swoop” or “swipe” in the “5: Bad Stroke“ category.

Geosnookery

Guilty! I’ll miss by the amount I adjusted when down….muttering ‘I knew better’.

Related…something I was taught in Snooker literally a half century ago. It’s similar when making a hand bridge to shoot over an awkward ball, etc. If the hand doesn’t feel right don’t try to adjust fingers, wrist, etc with it on the table. Stand back and replace the hand again…even a third time. Our hand will instinctively find the best placement.