Tournament videos showing players' heart rates

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[...]
They must have gotten the players to wear some kind of heart rate monitor, because they're showing their heart rates on the screen as they play. They seem to be updated by the second.[...]

Heart-rate of opponent in his seat is interesting information. Can we tell, for example, who is more susceptible to slow-play? Or some other move?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heart-rate of opponent in his seat is interesting information. Can we tell, for example, who is more susceptible to slow-play? Or some other move?

Of course so you can avoid that behavior, because you should never want to upset your opponent.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Heart Rate

Interesting idea. Does it work for pool?

I can see that if heart rates were rising and falling dramatically during key shots or games that would be pretty cool. If they remained fairly constant overall then it wouldn't really work in terms of being compelling to an audience.

For those who have been watching, did it add much to the match?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting idea. Does it work for pool?

I can see that if heart rates were rising and falling dramatically during key shots or games that would be pretty cool. If they remained fairly constant overall then it wouldn't really work in terms of being compelling to an audience.

For those who have been watching, did it add much to the match?

It definitely varies from moment to moment. The most obvious pattern I’ve noticed is that when someone is up at the table their heart rate goes up, typically to ~110, and then when they sit down it drops to below 100.

I think we’re gonna need electrodermal and pupil dilation next.

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

First of all, heart rate is a very useful tool for analyzing both performance and something that elite athletes, and more recently weekend warriors specifically train themselves in for optimal performance. Specifically, you would want to train for heart rate variability.(HRV) I work in this field and was really interested to see the heart rate displayed. The sampling rate of how the heart rate was displayed limits analysis.

Generally, for optimal performance heart rate variability is measured beat to beat, R wave to R wave and athletes would train for increased voluntary control of heart rate variability to maximize performance. Sympathetic activity of the nervous system(arousal) as reflected in heart rate is generally higher but with less variability. Example: a rapid heartbeat that does not change much in pace through the task. Parasympathetic activity of the heart and other organs is mediated by the vagus nerve, which has the ability to affect focus and other neural networks associated with optimal performance.

It definitely varies from moment to moment. The most obvious pattern I’ve noticed is that when someone is up at the table their heart rate goes up, typically to ~110, and then when they sit down it drops to below 100.

I think we’re gonna need electrodermal and pupil dilation next.

Again the way it was displayed is limited in terms of analysis but I did notice that Shane demonstrated much more variability than his opponent which would be expected. I forwarded this link to a few experts in the field who found it interesting as well. What would be very interesting would be to display EEG via a Bluetooth sensor. I'll post some links if anyone's interested.

Any more info on the heart rate stats?

You can check out some of the links for more info. Personally I think pool is a sport that would benefit from this training especially due to the need for extended focus, fine motor control and not having to hit a moving target.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it was interesting that Shane's heart rate was typically a little higher when he jumped up to get to the table and then it dropped as he worked his way through the table. He got MORE relaxed the closer he got to the end of the runout.

Other players seemed to be the opposite. Maybe one more reason why he's so tough to beat.

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is an example of an athlete doing HRV training. Notice the big drops in her heart rate each time she exhales at her resonant frequency. The frequency she is breathing at is generally used for training around six breaths per minute. You can train yourself to stroke on the exhale but it requires some practice because it's not something you want to be really thinking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9Nsm1U0CpY

Last edited:

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shared the link with Sue Wilson.

http://www.thoughttechnology.com/blog/wp/?works=dr-vietta-sue-wilson

(Thats a young Milos Raonic with the tennis racquet)

She wanted to know how many pool players did endurance training due to the high heart rates. I told her I'm not sure how many do, but not too many of the ones I play with. I think the high heart rates were more related to arousal than poor conditioning. The general rule of thumb for optimal performance is having the right amount of arousal for the task as well as a positive mental attitude.

Last edited:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was just a brief moment, maybe a few seconds it spiked 140+. Majority of the time it was about normal to the other players.

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a young, healthy individual you will see greater changes in heart rate measures. As we age, you will see less heart rate variability especially if someone has cardiac issues. The cardiovascular system has natural braking mechanisms. Medicine calls this the respiratory sinus arrhythmia and uses it for measurements of mortality, conditioning and other cardiovascular health factors. If you watch someone's heart rate laying in a hospital bed when they're relatively calm you'll notice that it increases on the inhale and decreases on the exhale. That is why when you're shooting a gun you would squeeze the trigger as you exhale. Sports psychologists train people to breathe at a resonant frequency (around six breaths per minute ) that amplifies the response through resonance and with enough practice over time strengthens this reflex which has been shown to have correlations with positive performance with a variety of other networks in the body such as arousal control and focus. Check out the YouTube video with the Olympic rower. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9Nsm1U0CpY Notice when she's hooked up and breathing at 5.7 breaths how much her heart rate drops on the exhale. That would be the red line below the blue line on the software screen.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His age is also a factor. Younger equals greater heart rate variability

Sure ..I have been wearing HRM when cycling for a long time and while I used to see 200+ at one point, when I see 170 now, I am about to be left behind.
:shrug:

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the blood pumping faster due to nerves/excitement. I thought I saw 150 before he got down on easy 9 ball. Pumped because he knew he was about to win?[/QUOTE

Pumped is a part of it and not necessarily a bad thing

Pumped (adrenaline/noradrenaline) + positive emotion releases DHEA
which is an anabolic steroid your body produces which enhances performance
example: passion, enthusiasm, motivation

Pumped (adrenaline/noradrenaline) + negative emotion releases cortisol which decreases performance
example: angry, frustrated, anxious