tourney

worldison2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good story.
This is a perfect illustration why a lot of tours have the "no-concession" rule.
It took me a while to figure out why this rule was around, but seeing enough stories like this has made me think it's not such a bad idea.

One of the tours I'm involved in (The Tri-State-Tour in NJ-NY area) has always enforced this rule. Recently they made the first offense a warning, instead of a "next-game" forfeit. I think they made the made the right decision on that change.

This game should be won by pool-players, not wannabe lawyers.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rackmsuckr said:
So did you win? :p Good going on the non-concession.

In the final I had to beat a nice older gentleman twice. The first set I was up 2-1 then he won a game and at hill-hill he snapped the nine in. It was fun.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Props to you..........

Luxury said:
So I was in Tacoma Wednesday night and I chose to play at the Full Splice tourney because the tables there are perfect and this is what happened:

I had no idea at the time but I was playing a guy that was heavily favored to win the tournament and I had never seen him before. The first game I have a sharp cut on the nine and cut it in and went three rails to scratch in the side. The next three games I win with nice run outs and when the guy shakes my hand he says with a straight face, "This was your lucky day."

I didn't say a word back because I believe when someone says something rude or idiotic it's best to remain silent so that it just keeps echoing in the air. Well I didn't say anything then but I'm saying it now. I think you were lucky to win the one game when I scratched on the nine.

Later I'm in a position to get in the money and I'm playing a lady that says, "Congratulations we have to get him to work so I forfeit the match."

Her husband then says, "No play your match." So we play and I lose the first game. I win the next game and I run the next rack down to the eight which I make and scratch. I tell her to go ahead and shoot the nine in. She looks bewildered because in the game I won she had conceded. Well she couldn't shoot that well and I actually had a hunch she would miss with ball in hand due to the location of the nine and the tightness of the pockets. Well she missed it by a mile. I make the nine and she concedes the entire race to three and says, "You know I conceded your game earlier." I say,"I was taught by my instructor never to concede a match."

"But I conceded your game earlier." she repeats herself
"Well you didn't take lessons from my instructor and it seems his theory turned out to be the right strategy."

End of story.

BTW Craig showed me a cue he was making for Tiggler and he is going to be VERY pleased.

for great reactions to both situations. I've been on both sides of this, and been less than gracious, but have learned from it. My lesson learned was any time my EGO is challenged an irrational response may come out, and I may say things that I don't intend to or would ever normally say....let alone think. Calling Dr. Phil now.........................:cool:

td

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Luxury said:
So I was in Tacoma Wednesday night and I chose to play at the Full Splice tourney because the tables there are perfect and this is what happened:

I had no idea at the time but I was playing a guy that was heavily favored to win the tournament and I had never seen him before. The first game I have a sharp cut on the nine and cut it in and went three rails to scratch in the side. The next three games I win with nice run outs and when the guy shakes my hand he says with a straight face, "This was your lucky day."

I didn't say a word back because I believe when someone says something rude or idiotic it's best to remain silent so that it just keeps echoing in the air. Well I didn't say anything then but I'm saying it now. I think you were lucky to win the one game when I scratched on the nine.

Later I'm in a position to get in the money and I'm playing a lady that says, "Congratulations we have to get him to work so I forfeit the match."

Her husband then says, "No play your match." So we play and I lose the first game. I win the next game and I run the next rack down to the eight which I make and scratch. I tell her to go ahead and shoot the nine in. She looks bewildered because in the game I won she had conceded. Well she couldn't shoot that well and I actually had a hunch she would miss with ball in hand due to the location of the nine and the tightness of the pockets. Well she missed it by a mile. I make the nine and she concedes the entire race to three and says, "You know I conceded your game earlier." I say,"I was taught by my instructor never to concede a match."

"But I conceded your game earlier." she repeats herself
"Well you didn't take lessons from my instructor and it seems his theory turned out to be the right strategy."

End of story.

BTW Craig showed me a cue he was making for Tiggler and he is going to be VERY pleased.

Now that's what i call funny. just because she conceded her game doen't mean by any means that she's entiteled to the win just because she got ball in hand on the 9. it's kind of poor form that she even brought that up

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
LOL, if she honestly believes you should concede just because she conceded, she isn't using very good logic. That's like if it is a race to 5 and she says, let's just play a race to 4... why not... it is the same for both of us right? Hmm.

I guess next time I play someone I'm heavily favored to lose to, I'll just concede as soon as he makes a ball on the break. Then if he doesn't make one on the next break, I'll say, "Hey I just conceded a full table to you! Now it's your turn, you're supposed to concede this to me!!!" :D

Mowem down

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
worldison2 said:
Good story.
This is a perfect illustration why a lot of tours have the "no-concession" rule.
It took me a while to figure out why this rule was around, but seeing enough stories like this has made me think it's not such a bad idea.

One of the tours I'm involved in (The Tri-State-Tour in NJ-NY area) has always enforced this rule. Recently they made the first offense a warning, instead of a "next-game" forfeit. I think they made the made the right decision on that change.

This game should be won by pool-players, not wannabe lawyers.
There's pros and cons to giving up the 9. I do it on a "by the feel of the match" or even rack basis. You sure dont want to do it thinking it means the other guy will..

It would be nice to have a standerd though, and I would go with, If its sporting (for golfers) to play for 3 hours and concede a 2ft. putt, for a 1,000,000. Then tip their hat and shake the mans hand with grace. Im thinking pool players can concede a 9 ball, in a 10 min. match for 20$, with just as much grace..

Last edited:

ajohnson13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good work, and it sounds like you played with Grace. I almost conceded an easy 9 last night to a player that beats me more often than not, but decided to let him shoot. He just so happened to miss that one shot and gave me the out.

I also go to see the cue Craig is making for Tikkler, and I was quite impressed.